Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6688|Nova Scotia
So, I was reading my beloved Uncle John's Supremely Satisfying Bathroom Reader (it's the 14th installment from our friends at the BRI, for those of you who share my love for Uncle John's books) and came across this slightly interesting piece on peculiar Canadian expressions (pg 97).  I am not sure where the information came from, really, but I found it funny because much of this stuff seems just plain made up, and not by us Canucks.  I have posted the article in full, and included my comments afterwards.  Any other Canadians, or anyone else who might have indeed heard one of 'us' use one or more of the following expressions, feel free to comment!   And while I disagree with the authenticity of much of these words, it is still an entertaining read.
Enjoy!

"DO YOU SPEAK CANADIAN?
We thought you Molson-muscled hosers might be interested in an article that talks a-boot some of the more colorful expressions used by our friends in the Great White North.  Eh?

SPEAKING CANADIAN
So you think there's no such thing as Canadian English, eh?  Then tell me what this means:
       The beerslinger posted a sign warning that hosers with molson muscles, rubbies, and
       sh*t-disturbers would not be welcome.  No sirree.  Folks were drinking bloody Caesars
       and brown cows at the booze can.  Heck, even the Gravol was free.

Translation for the non-Canadian reader:  A 'beerslinger' is an informal term for a bartender; a 'hoser' means a lout; a 'rubby' refers to a derelict alcoholic known to mix rubbing alcohol with what he is imbibing; 'Molson muscles' is a term for a beer-belly; 'brown cow' and 'bloody Caesar' are names for two cocktails in Canada; a 'booze can' is a term for an illegal bar usually in someone's home; a 'sh*t-disturber' refers to one who likes to create trouble; and 'Gravol' is the Canadian proprietary name of an anti-nausea medication.

Here are some more Canadianisms:

All-dressed:  Food served with all the optional garnishes
Cuffy:  Cigarette butt
Browned off:  Fed up or disheartened
Two-four:  A case of beer
First Peoples:  The politically correct term for Canadian Indians
Bazoo:  Old rusted car
Fuddle duddle:  A euphemism for 'go to hell'
Keener:  Eager beaver
Steamie:  A steamed hot dog
Gitch:  Underwear
The Can:  Canada
Schumck:  Verb meaning 'to flatten', as in, 'He got schmucked on the road'
Bite moose:  Go away
Garburator:  A garbage disposal unit
Anglophone:  An English-language speaker
Francophone:  A French-language speaker
Allophone:  Immigrant who speaks neither English nor French
Wobbly pop:  Alcohol
Keep yer stick on the ice:  Pay attention
Skookum:  Big and powerful (a west coast term derived from Chinook jargon)

And lets not forget unique French-Canadian English phraseology, such as 'Throw me down the stairs my shoes,' or 'Throw the horse over the fense some hay.'  So, you all you hosers from beantown, the Big Easy, and La La Land, before you visit your neighbors to the north in T.O. (Toronto, Ontario) or up island in B.C. (British Columbia), remember that Canadians have their own way of speaking English.  And although the Canadian national personal is extremely polite, don't forget that ice hockey is the national pastime and 'drop the gloves,' a hockey term for 'prepare to fight,' is also part of Canadian English."

My 2 cents:
I've never heard 'beerslinger' before, although it's an easy one to figure out - I've, and I assume most others have as well, heard of bootleggers before but they define it differently.  'Rubby' is a new one, as is 'Molson muscles' (although that one is easy to figure out as well ); I have always assumed that 'brown cows' and 'bloody Caesars' were common drinks not unique to Canada; 'booze can' meaning a bar in someone's home sounds untrue as well; 'Gravol' is the brand name (Dramamine for others) for Dimenhydrinate, used to help upset stomachs.

'Cuffy', 'Browned off', 'Bazoo', 'Steamie', 'Gitch', 'Bite moose' and 'Garburator' don't seem very Canadian to me.  'Wobbly pop' I've heard, but if I've heard it more than once I'll be surprised.  'Skookum' is possible but I'd need a west coaster to explain that one.
And of course, the phrases in the last part (throw me down the stairs my shoes, etc) don't seem very plausible.  My gf is french and she doesn't say anything that silly.

I donn't think 'All-Dressed' or 'Schmuck' are specific to Canada, and 'two-four' (24 beer in a flat), 'First Peoples', and 'Keep yer stick on the ice' are all true, although that last one is a Red Green used phrase more than anyone else (probably combined) in the country.

Thanks for reading!

edit:  a-boot is used mostly by South Park, and probably people from Onterrible

Last edited by Rygar (2006-10-13 13:45:40)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6781|Toronto | Canada

Rygar wrote:

SPEAKING CANADIAN
So you think there's no such thing as Canadian English, eh?  Then tell me what this means:
       The beerslinger posted a sign warning that hosers with molson muscles, rubbies, and
       sh*t-disturbers would not be welcome.  No sirree.  Folks were drinking bloody Caesars
That is completely and utterly wrong.  I have never heard of any of those words in my life.  Beerslingers, hosers, molsen muscles, rubbies, sh*t disturbers, Caesars, brown cows, booze can... Those are totally made up by whoever made this.  The only thing I have ever heard of is Gravol, because my brother takes it for flights.

All-dressed:  Food served with all the optional garnishes     Never heard of it
Cuffy:  Cigarette butt     Never heard of it
Browned off:  Fed up or disheartened     Never heard of it
Two-four:  A case of beer      Whatever, who hasn't heard this term before...
First Peoples:  The politically correct term for Canadian Indians      It's actually First Nations so they are not confused with Indians from India
Bazoo:  Old rusted car     Never heard of it
Fuddle duddle:  A euphemism for 'go to hell'     Never heard of it
Keener:  Eager beaver    I've only heard this once in my life
Steamie:  A steamed hot dog     Never heard of it
Gitch:  Underwear     Never heard of it
The Can:  Canada     Never heard of it
Schumck:  Verb meaning 'to flatten', as in, 'He got schmucked on the road'     lol, I love this word, it just sounds so funny and can be used for anything
Bite moose:  Go away     Never heard of it
Garburator:  A garbage disposal unit     Never heard of it
Anglophone:  An English-language speaker     The proper name...
Francophone:  A French-language speaker     The proper name...
Allophone:  Immigrant who speaks neither English nor French     The proper name...
Wobbly pop:  Alcohol     Never heard of it
Keep yer stick on the ice:  Pay attention     Never heard of it
Skookum:  Big and powerful (a west coast term derived from Chinook jargon)     Never heard of it
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6688|Nova Scotia
You've never watched Red Green? (Keep your stick on the ice)
All dressed is pretty common, too...I think.  The drinks are real, whether they're Canadian only or not I don't know.
FlameOn
+7|6574
have used most of these words myself one time or another, but there are a couple i have never heard

bazoo - i think its made up, no one i know has ever used this, must be an East coast thing, it is from uncle john's after all

the can - the only "the can" i know of is used i have had a two-four (or two), never heard canada referred to as "the can"

wobbly pop - usually just refers to a beer, ciders or wine coolers

as for the rest, pretty much standard in my vocab growing up on the west coast, i think schmuck is yiddish, but i could be wrong.
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6688|Nova Scotia
Bazoo - definately not an East Coast thing.  Even the newfs don't use that one I imagine (although newfs and capers (<-me) could write our own language...mostly them tho
rob777
It's sexy time!!
+11|6550|toronto canada
lol i live in t.o. and no1 speaks like that
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6734|Calgary

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Rygar wrote:

SPEAKING CANADIAN
That is completely and utterly wrong.  I have never heard of any of those words in my life.  Beerslingers, hosers, molsen muscles, rubbies, sh*t disturbers, Caesars, brown cows, booze can... Those are totally made up by whoever made this.  The only thing I have ever heard of is Gravol, because my brother takes it for flights.

All-dressed:  Food served with all the optional garnishes     Never heard of it
Cuffy:  Cigarette butt     Never heard of it
Browned off:  Fed up or disheartened     Never heard of it
Two-four:  A case of beer      Whatever, who hasn't heard this term before...
First Peoples:  The politically correct term for Canadian Indians      It's actually First Nations so they are not confused with Indians from India
Bazoo:  Old rusted car     Never heard of it
Fuddle duddle:  A euphemism for 'go to hell'     Never heard of it
Keener:  Eager beaver    I've only heard this once in my life
Steamie:  A steamed hot dog     Never heard of it
Gitch:  Underwear     Never heard of it
The Can:  Canada     Never heard of it
Schumck:  Verb meaning 'to flatten', as in, 'He got schmucked on the road'     lol, I love this word, it just sounds so funny and can be used for anything
Bite moose:  Go away     Never heard of it
Garburator:  A garbage disposal unit     Never heard of it
Anglophone:  An English-language speaker     The proper name...
Francophone:  A French-language speaker     The proper name...
Allophone:  Immigrant who speaks neither English nor French     The proper name...
Wobbly pop:  Alcohol     Never heard of it
Keep yer stick on the ice:  Pay attention     Never heard of it
Skookum:  Big and powerful (a west coast term derived from Chinook jargon)     Never heard of it
That's that Canadain, thats newfe...................

ie( A Canadian with a double digit IQ)
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6734|Calgary

Rygar wrote:

You've never watched Red Green? (Keep your stick on the ice)
All dressed is pretty common, too...I think.  The drinks are real, whether they're Canadian only or not I don't know.
Red Green, my god man, get cable or satellite
Smackin_U
VAGITARIAN
+35|6686|Somewhere in the shadows
I'm not from Canada, so I can't comment on the validity of any of these.  They do seem rather rediculous though, especially fuddle duddle.  Why wouldn't rather just say "Go to Hell!"

"Get back in your bazoo and bite moose you allophone before I drop my cuffy in your gitch. Get out of The Can and fuddle duddle."
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6688|Nova Scotia

Superslim wrote:

Red Green, my god man, get cable or satellite
I have cable.  Red Green ran for 15 years, and you proved my point anyway simply by knowing what I was talking about.

edit: Oh I actually think I get what you meant, so your misspelling is accepted on grounds of faulty grammar.

Last edited by Rygar (2006-10-13 16:03:50)

Sondernkommando
+22|6758
I'm Canadian and a lot of those are true (never heard of Bite Moose, Bazoo or Cuffy).

"Fuddle Duddle" is what the late, unlamented Pierre Trudeau swore he said in Parliament when in fact he said "F_ck Off".  This makes him a "legend" to leftist squishes.
rob777
It's sexy time!!
+11|6550|toronto canada
as a canadian i never understood why newfies were made fun off so much whats that all about?
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6688|Nova Scotia
Part of the reason Newfies get made fun of is because they talk so fast no one knows what the hell they're saying, except other Newfies, of course.  There are a bunch of unique expressions, but different expressions and mannerisms are hardly limited to the Newfs.
Thanks for the input Sondernkommando.  I always assumed "Fuddle Duddle" was just slang for "aw shit".
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6691
too long
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6688|Nova Scotia

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

too long
Yeah...that's some great input ya got there.
Cue the trolls!
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6550

Rygar wrote:

"DO YOU SPEAK CANADIAN?
We thought you Molson-muscled hosers might be interested in an article that talks a-boot some of the more colorful expressions used by our friends in the Great White North.  Eh?
colorful is spelled colourful in Canada

Rygar wrote:

i have one, its in my sink, it shreads up fruit skins and food items to make it easier to go the drain..
LT.Victim
+1,175|6605|British Columbia, Canada
I've only ever heard

and Gravol

Those are the only words i have ever heard before in my whole life living in canada.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6550

LT.Victim wrote:

I've only ever heard

and Gravol

Those are the only words i have ever heard before in my whole life living in canada.
pretty well the same for me
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6602|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
All-dressed:  Food served with all the optional garnishes... dont they have all-dressed potato chips everywhere?
Two-four:  A case of beer... hence the may long weekend known as the May Two-Four
First Peoples:  The politically correct term for Canadian Indians... thought it was First Nations..
Keener:  Eager beaver... figured keen was an old but comon word..
Gitch:  Underwear.... gitch never heard but maybe its a typo for gintch cause that i know
Schumck:  Verb meaning 'to flatten', as in, 'He got schmucked on the road'
Bite moose:  Go away... heard this often as a child from my dads friends
Garburator:  A garbage disposal unit... got one in my kitchen i put my hand in it often
Anglophone:  An English-language speaker
Wobbly pop:  Alcohol... the Champ always calls em wobbly pops, i hear that all the time
Molson Muscle... heard this often while growin up aswell
Gravol... used to eat handfulls to get fucked up as a youth
Hoser... got a shirt that says that
Sh*t Disturbers... i use that term all the time

Skookum: ... i hear this often but usually means nice or fancy... like those are some skookum new shoes

so yeah id say thats pretty accurate or atleast was accurate at some point in time and in various locations... gotta remember lots of dialect is area specific...

Last edited by SuperSlowYo (2006-10-13 21:36:37)

deadawakeing
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm
+145|6524
WHAT WHAT IS THIS WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO SAY A two-four of beer? I find that hard to believe

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard