bubbass
humble
+61|6607
Alright, I've searched the web a lot about this and people seem to narrow it down to two things, the video card or the PSU. I've had my PC for about 6 months now, this problem just started happening the other day. The only thing that's changed lately was I had a PSU go bad on me about a month ago. My comp shut off then, and I could hear the PSU sizzle and burn up. I just got it replaced the other day, and I'm still having problems with the comp shutting off on me. It's not random, it only happens when I'm playing a game. Either BF2 or COH.

The new PSU I bought is an Antec Neo HE 550. It's 50 watts more powerful than my last one. My video card is an EVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO.

I've been monitoring my temps a lot lately and nothing seems to get out of whack. I took the side of my case off and put a small house fan there to maybe help things out, but that doesn't seem to work. I honestly don't think it's a heat issue. My video card never goes above 55C while playing a game. It idles around 45C. My processor and mobo stay around 30-35C.

So guys, I've racked my brain a lot the past few days, hopefully someone here can give me some good advice. I'm open to suggestions. I want to see what options there are before I start swapping out hardware. Hopefully I included enough information and I wasn't too vague. I'm a bit hungover today.

--------------------------------------------------
EDIT
Computer just shut off completely while reading the forums. A new symptom.

Last edited by bubbass (2006-09-25 12:43:49)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6635|Seattle

Try running some RAM tests. Most instantanious reboots are caused by a stick of RAM going bad.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
bubbass
humble
+61|6607

King_County_Downy wrote:

Try running some RAM tests. Most instantanious reboots are caused by a stick of RAM going bad.
What would be a good program to use?

Last edited by bubbass (2006-09-25 11:46:57)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6680|Deep In The South Of Texas
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6717|Broadlands, VA
Just to clarify - does the PC shutdown, or reboot?
bubbass
humble
+61|6607

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Just to clarify - does the PC shutdown, or reboot?
It completely shuts off.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6717|Broadlands, VA
I've only heard of that for heat issues.  Everything else tends twords lockup or reboot.  However, you've takes all the right steps to proving it's NOT heat.

What are you using to keep an eye on the temps?  Can it also report voltage?
bubbass
humble
+61|6607

Kaosdad008 wrote:

I've only heard of that for heat issues.  Everything else tends twords lockup or reboot.  However, you've takes all the right steps to proving it's NOT heat.

What are you using to keep an eye on the temps?  Can it also report voltage?
I use Everest Home Edition.

Voltage is as follows:

Cooling Fans   
CPU    3924 RPM
Power Supply    6490 RPM

Voltage Values   
CPU Core    1.38 V
+3.3 V    3.26 V
+5 V    4.97 V
+12 V    11.90 V
+5 V Standby    5.16 V
VBAT Battery    3.10 V
Debug Info F    2B FF 1A
Debug Info T    54 35 44
Debug Info V    56 00 CC B9 BA BB 00 (F7)
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6816|Long Island
i would save this one for last, but try using a different outlet or power cable.  Are you using a surge protector also?  Also, if you have another PC, swap the parts 1 by 1, PSU, Vid card, memory, hard drive even.  IF all else fails, it is probably the motherboard.
bubbass
humble
+61|6607

Slickdawg8 wrote:

i would save this one for last, but try using a different outlet or power cable.  Are you using a surge protector also?  Also, if you have another PC, swap the parts 1 by 1, PSU, Vid card, memory, hard drive even.  IF all else fails, it is probably the motherboard.
Yes, I use a surge protector. I was thinking about changing it to a different outlet, but I'll have to try that one later.

I don't have have another computer readily available to start swapping all those parts. I was gonna start RMA'ing parts 1 by 1.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6561|Little blue planet, milky way
Well, from experience, it's USUALLY the PSU.... But if you just got a new one, that'd be pretty horrible (except for the fact, that you prolly have a warranty on it because it's new). I've encountered a similar problem about 20-25 times over the last 15 or so years. It's a bitch to figure out.
In the late 80'ies-early 90'ies it was a virus that did this kinda crap. Forunately it was not very good at propegating, so I only saw about 2 of these over a 2-3 year period. Then with the advent of the 40 Mhz PCI bus, I saw a similar problem when not all components were built to HANDLE the increased speed of the bus (you're not overclocking your PC, are you ?). I saw this also 2 or 3 times within a year or so, then the Pentium chips started getting cheap enough that people forgot about the old bus speeds.
Next one was a MOTHERFUCKER of a bitch to solve... It took me almost 14 days of straight testing to find the problem. the CASE caused a short when you activeted cerain features of the board. A new case solved the issue.
After this, I saw a similar problem with certain popular motherboards that would not run with an equally popular harddrive (no names, because asus and quantum might not like the bad publicity). If too large a partition size was created, the PC would reboot or shut down once you tried to access the "extended" part of the harddrive. Later BIOS upgrades solved this problem (have you tried upgrading your Mobo BIOS ?) Needless to say, we immediately stopped supporting these mobos.
Beyond that, I've seen something similar when the capacitors on a PSU were getting old, or over worked. But if you've tried a new PSU, and you dont have any problems with your voltage rails, then it SHOULDN'T be the cause of the problem. However, just to test it.... Try attaching a couple of multimeters to the PC. Check the votalge rails. Possibly the problem occurs only periodically.
Also, a good piece of advice is to ask your hardware vendor if they've had any problems with the PSU and your specific hardware config (mobo, CPU and GPU).
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6717|Broadlands, VA

Twist wrote:

(no names, because asus and quantum might not like the bad publicity).

Case short - I've seen that twice.  Try running the components out of the case.  Put it all on something non-conductive like newspaper.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6620|SE London

Twist wrote:

Next one was a MOTHERFUCKER of a bitch to solve... It took me almost 14 days of straight testing to find the problem. the CASE caused a short when you activeted cerain features of the board. A new case solved the issue.
That happened to me before. Took me fucking ages to figure out what it was and even longer to convince myself that's what the problem was. I just couldn't believe it was the case, which made diagnosing it a biatch.

Drove me nuts for a long time.
broncobullfrog
Extra Tender Juicy SPINY
+58|6789|The 70's

bubbass wrote:

Slickdawg8 wrote:

Yes, I use a surge protector. I was thinking about changing it to a different outlet, but I'll have to try that one later.

I don't have have another computer readily available to start swapping all those parts. I was gonna start RMA'ing parts 1 by 1.
I once had a similar problem, it was solved by changing the outlet, that is removing the surge protector. They can interfere with static discharge.
slo5oh
+28|6699
I had a bad UPS do the same thing, random shutdowns.  I spent weeks playing with it.  I changed out my PSU, CPU, ram, un plugged everything from cd-roms to floppy.  Luckily I have lots of spare parts so it didn't cost me $.
taxi2you
+22|6682|Missouri
I also had a similar situation almost exactly a year ago.  My PSU fried and in the process it killed my MB.  My replacement PSU was a dud and before I figured it out I had already ordered a new MB.  Sometimes it would start and run and sometimes not.  I replaced reset switch, power switch, PSU ( with a dead one), MB, and nothing worked.  One day just started stripping part off an old computer and I needed both PSU and MB.

Last edited by taxi2you (2006-09-26 10:09:03)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6636|Cheshire. UK
check........your shutdown temp threshold in the BIOS some boards have a temp setting for if the processor gets too hot it shuts the pc down..... you say you changed the PSU this might have set you settings to the default ...worth a look before you go swapping everything
bubbass
humble
+61|6607
Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. I'm sorry I don't have time right now to answer all of your questions, but I will keep you informed. I found out that my new PSU has incompatibility problems with my mobo. I've read a lot on the net about it and once I look into it, I'll let you guys know what's up. Thanks for your time and interest. As soon as I figure something out, you'll be the first to know.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard