LG-MindBullets
+10|6723|Kirkland, WA
First off, I want to explain what is meant by the term "Primary Contributor." A primary contributor is any player who is a crucial factor in determining whether or not their team will be positioned for victory or defeat. Usually, each team has one or two of these players; those rare individuals who stand out among their peers and really make a significant difference that can offer the team victory for the round. Primary contributors are typically the players that get the gold, silver, or bronze medals, but not necessarily. Sometimes their contribution to the team goes unnoticed and unrewarded.

I know that my stats don't reflect an experienced player's abilities as much as would be expected for someone writing a guide on the subject, but I would like to say in my defense that a majority of my deaths can be attributed to lag as I am often playing with a 200 ms – 800 ms ping. The fastest connection I could hope for is 100 ms. I also have only played commander once on each of my accounts, so the fact that I have managed to maintain around a 2/1 win/loss ratio without playing the role of commander should say something about my strategy in non-commanding roles. Anyway, justifications aside, I think I have enough experience and sufficient skills to write on the subject.

Some of these rules/suggestions apply to being a better overall player while others address the specific issues related to becoming a primary contributor to your team. Here they are:

RULE 1) Stay paranoid; always.
Always assume that you are being watched, followed, or tracked. This includes assuming that you are being observed by the enemy commander from a scan, UAV, or zoom spotting. Never look or move in one direction for more than 1-2 seconds unless under cover. This sounds obvious, but far too often players have tunnel vision, and will run from point A to point B without checking out their surroundings. Whip around every once in a while to check your back, check side to side, sidestep and randomly pace your sprinting while traveling. If anyone is following you or tracking you with their gun they may become nervous, impatient, or hasty and make a poor decision that will give away their position. Also, don’t assume that an area is clear after neutralizing a flag. The moment following a neutralized flag is when most players let their guard down. Stay paranoid and alert.

RULE 2) Always be on the Move.
Unless you're taking a base, taking a shot, or hiding you should always be moving, either to avoid becoming a stationary target or for the purpose of getting to your next objective.

RULE 3) Don't travel without a planned objective or destination.
This may sound contradictory to the mantra of "always be on the move," but it's pointless to travel great distances if you don't have an intended destination and objective. Hopefully, the objective will come from your commander or squad leader, but if it doesn't then you should devise your own strategy and objective whether it's as simple as capturing a flag, getting a vehicle, or destroying enemy assets.

RULE 4) Squad up.
It's plain and simple. You will survive longer and perform better if you're working in a squad. Admittedly, this is the rule I have the most difficult time following myself, because often squads tend to disperse and ignore rule 5.

RULE 5) Leave and rejoin your squad upon death to allow squad leader rotation and to maintain the squad's position.
If you find a squad that is cooperative this technique can keep your squad unified and mobile at the same time. The concept is simple. When you die leave your squad, then instantly join your squad again. This will allow the next squad member to become the squad leader and provide you with a spawn point that is still on the front lines. Additionally, if other squad members need to spawn in during your 15 second inactive period they will still be able to come in on the squad saving traveling time.

* RULE 6) Use other player's kits to your advantage.
This one is HUGE! If you know how to use other player's kits to your advantage whether they are from fallen enemies or fallen allies you will be able to extend your life and effectiveness in many situations. If for example you are assault and a medic ally falls, pick up their kit and revive them. If on the other hand you kill an enemy medic or support soldier then pick up their kit, drop a few med or ammo packs, then revert to your own kit again when you are done. As another example, if you are a sniper but managed to acquire armor and kill an engineer, you should quickly hop out and grab his kit. Another way to look at this subject is this: Choose your targets based on your needs. Kill enemy soldiers that have the kit you need to give you an advantage in your situation. There are countless ways and situations where you can take advantage of a fallen player's kit. Use them.

RULE 7) Work with your commander.
Even mediocre commanders will often have a much better idea of what's going on in the battle then the average player. Unless, a commander is horribly inadequate, you and your squad should make every effort to follow your commander's instructions and should frequently request new orders. If you cooperate with your commander he will be much more likely to hook you up with UAV's, supplies, and arty. Also, don't consider it a waste of time to request UAV's, supplies, or arty from your commander. About 50% of the time the commander will accept a request if the request is available. Even though this may not seem consistent enough to make it worth it, receiving supplies, UAV's, or artillery half the time is better than nothing at all and can often turn the game in your favor.

* RULE 8) Always attempt to eliminate the greatest threat to your team.
This is also HUGE! If you want to be the player that makes the greatest contribution to your team (the MVP), thereby improving the chances of victory you need to constantly be seeking to destroy the greatest threats to your team, whether it be armor, helicopters, jets, a hidden squad leader acting as the point of attack, or enemy commander assets. If your team is constantly being mowed over by enemy armor then you need to counter it with armor, an attack heli, a TOW, or an appropriate kit. If you don't have access to a vehicle or if you are currently the wrong kit then you need to seek out and kill an enemy special ops, AT, or engineer soldier and take their kit (Ties into Rule 6). If a heli is causing havoc for your team then haul butt to the closest humvee/vodnik, get an AT-AA kit, get a tank, or get to an AA platform. If the enemy commander is devastating your team with concentrated forces and frequent arty strikes then make it a priority to take out his assets. You get the idea. Once the threat is neutralized you can return to your previous role of acting as medic, support, transport, pilot, etc. or move onto the next threat.

RULE 9) Make defending and recapturing cappable asset bases the highest priority among all flags.
Anytime you are playing a map where your vehicle or commander's assets are located at a cappable base it should be your highest priority to defend that base among all others. The reason for this is twofold. The obvious reason is that it keeps your commander active and useful, the second reason is that most cappable asset bases are positioned on maps so that they provide only one front line when being defended. If your team is forced to forfeit flags and fall back, it is more advantageous to be able to fall back to a base that can be defended on one front and contains all your critical assets such as vehicles and commander assets. The two best examples that come to mind is the TV Station tower on Sharqi and the Gatehouse on Strike at Karkand. As MEC on Karkand, if you lose the gatehouse flag then your team can not only be attacked from the main entrance to the south, but can also be attacked from the east. For most maps, losing the primary asset base as I like to call it, results in your team being attacked and pinned in on multiple fronts. Too often in Strike at Karkand MEC will try to hold the front city bases as long as possible while they lose every base to the north and eventually get pinned down or capped out. Don't ignore cappable asset bases! Defend and recapture them!

RULE 10) Don't restrict yourself to one kit/vehicle.
This re-emphasizes the importance of rule 6, but is unique enough to be addressed separately. Don't enter a game expecting to play with the same kit or vehicle the entire round. If it's your intention to build up your stat's with a particular kit or vehicle and the conditions of the round allow you to do so successfully, then by all means go ahead. However, if the use of a particular kit/vehicle proves to be useless, don't persist. One of the definitions of insanity is to expect different results when trying the same thing over and over. If playing as assault is only resulting in your constant death to armor then you should reconsider what kit you play and attempt to go as AT-AA, an engineer, or special ops. If you are in a tank and consistently being destroyed by helicopters then you should attempt to counter the helicopters by using a vodnik/humvee. Basically, if something isn't working, change it.

RULE 11) Work in staggered formation and avoid large clusters of allies.
This serves multiple purposes. First of all, if you are in a tightly packed squad or are in the vicinity of several allies your chances of being a prime target for the enemy commander's artillery greatly increases. Additionally, if you are in a tight squad there exists the possibility of being taken out be grenades. Another consideration is that if you are in a large group of allies, you're probably not doing much for your team and will become too reliant on others. In general, if you're working in a squad you should try to stay about 4-6 seconds walking distance from each other in a staggered formation that still allows everyone to maintain sight of each other. This is enough space so that an arty strike or grenade won't wipe out your entire squad. If you adhere to rule 5 then your squad should be able to maintain their position. Also, 4-6 seconds distance is far enough to be safe but allows enough time for a medic in the squad to reach a fallen member after eliminating the threat. The only exception to this rule is when you're squad is taking over a flag.

RULE 12) Don't let vehicles go unused or abandoned.
In many cases the use of vehicles can determine the fate of a round. If you see an unused vehicle such as an LAV, a tank, or a helicopter don't just leave it there. Either use it yourself, drive/fly it to a team member for use, move it to a remote location convenient to your team, or destroy it. Nothing is worse than to leave a tank, jet, heli, or LAV behind only to have the enemy team steal it and use it against your team. If you decide to use the latter of my suggestions (destroying said vehicle) then use good judgment and make sure that you attempted other measures first and verified that no ally had need of it.

RULE 13) Spot everything as frequent as possible.
Spot, spot, and spot some more. Other than the annoying sound bites, there is nothing negative to actively and frequently spotting enemy units and assets. The more your team is aware of their surrounding threats the better they will do overall. In many cases, spotting an enemy helicopter may allow an allied tank to take it down when they may have otherwise not noticed, and visa versa.

RULE 14) Don't spawn at the same flag more than necessary.
As long as you have options for spawning in at different locations you should use them to your advantage. Ideally, you should spawn in on your squad leader. This rule is similar to rule 10. Don't keep trying the same thing over and over again if it's not working. If you keep getting killed at the same flag then spawn at the next closest flag or spawn at the other end of the map to seek out another objective.

RULE 15) Let the professionals do their job.
This basically means that if you recognize that someone is more qualified to perform a certain task, then you should allow them to do so and aid them if possible. For example, if someone is excellent in armor and does well at supporting the team then you should allow them to use armor whenever possible and even deliver them a vehicle if you have to. Maybe you would serve your team better as support or a medic. Obviously, players need practice to get better, but if it isn’t necessary to infringe on someone’s ability to do what they’re best at then you should try to find alternative ways to serve your team and improve yourself.

This guide is not intended to help individuals improve their stats so mush as it is meant to help players improve the chances of their team winning. However, these guidelines should help players improve their overall performance.

RULE 16) Pay attention to the kits being used in the player board.
This rule should be the counterpart to Rule 8 since it relates to a player's ability to directly impact the team's greatest need(s). The concept for this rule is similar, identify what needs your team has by looking at the player board and glancing at what kits are currently in use by your team. This is a tactic I just recently started, but so far I've found this technique to be effective. If you see that no one on your team is playing the AT kit and you know that there is enemy armor patrolling the level then come in as AT on your next spawn or employ the use of Rule 6. If you are playing an infantry map and you notice that there are several assault, medic, spec-ops, and sniper kits being played, but no one is support then you should consider playing support for a while to keep your team armed and ready. Basically, try to play the kits that aren't being used by your team if it seems probable that you will fill a missing need. This technique for choosing kits may not always necessarily apply, but it's often a quick and informative way to guage your team's role requirements and assist the needs that aren't being addressed.

Edit 1: Grammatical error fix.
Edit 2: Added Rule 16

Last edited by LG-MindBullets (2006-03-02 14:09:25)

YitEarp
+1|6727
decent guide, tho i guess id hoped a guide like this wasnt necessary hehe.
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6756|Medicland, sthlm

j0000000 speak t3h tr00th11!1
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6796|Canberra, Australia
I see a sticky coming on....

Wel done on this.  great information.
ronin1942
+-1|6846
well done thank you
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6778|UK
Featured Posts Request.
LG-MindBullets
+10|6723|Kirkland, WA
Made a few format changes that should make it slightly easier to read.
duckforceone
+3|6726|Denmark
yeah featured post....

great tips for a budding player that realises that it's not all about stats.. that it's for the fun and teamplay..

yes you loose lots of point by staying around defending a base that may never come under attack... but if your side win, hey, who cares... and if it does come under attack, well you are going to be the hero of the day...
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6777|Noizyland

I agree with most of your tips, but please try to remember that the aim of this game is to have fun. Lets not loose sight of that okay?
I actually disagree with rule 5. It may be good to constantly have a mobile spawn point, and in some situations it is ideal, but I find it good to have a stable squad leader who issues commands and strategies to his squad. Then again, I have only been in the position that I have a helpful squad twice. Once when I planned an ambush for a convoy, and once when I was defending a point with my squad.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6795
Nice.  However, I think rules 6 and 15 are often at odds with each other.

When I'm playing medic (something I'm good at) and I've been killed, I find myself revived and playing with an assault kit.  I suck at assault, so it really p's me off that I've not been allowed to respawn as the kit I chose for a reason.  Then I get killed immediately over and over because the idiot who picked up my pack just revives me but doesn't kill the person who killed me.  Or some other well-meaning med revives me.  All I want to do is spawn but my team is constantly reviving me in the pack of some lame-brain and the enemy is constantly killing me.

If you see a medic die, don't pick up his pack and revive him as he'll inherit your pack, your kit.  A professional medic does not want a grenade launcher.
RGB|Apocalypse
+1|6763
Great post!

I totally agree and love the idea of Rule 5. But unfortunately, in pubs, its impossible to let every dude in your team knows that its the norm for them to keep rotating the SL role.

The only thing I am against is Rule 7. I've met with great commanders less than 30% of the time I play, esp since 1.03 patch where arti kills no longer counts for the commanders, alot of better players simply stopped wanting to be commanders. What happened is its usually some arti happy kid as the commander. I've got orders so many times to repair a bridge or worse radar/UAV when I'm halfway the other side of the map.. Jesus, when the commander orders you to repair the radar/UAV, you gotta know he sucked. :\
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6733|Uhh... erm...
Nice guide. Away to Featured Posts with you. I don't mind someone picking up my kit, once on Wake a guy revived me with my kit and I found myself toting a DAO.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

aardfrith wrote:

When I'm playing medic (something I'm good at) and I've been killed, I find myself revived and playing with an assault kit.  I suck at assault, so it really p's me off that I've not been allowed to respawn as the kit I chose for a reason.  Then I get killed immediately over and over because the idiot who picked up my pack just revives me but doesn't kill the person who killed me.  Or some other well-meaning med revives me.  All I want to do is spawn but my team is constantly reviving me in the pack of some lame-brain and the enemy is constantly killing me.

If you see a medic die, don't pick up his pack and revive him as he'll inherit your pack, your kit.  A professional medic does not want a grenade launcher.
I disagree. Maybe you won't like the kit you end up with, but at least I saved a ticket for my team. Imagine this is being done 15 times during a round, that's 15 tickets.

every revive counts. But I agree that the medic should eliminate the threat first.

nice guide. featured thread ? chuy will have to decide about that.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6753
I have a strong feeling about rule 13.

one of the most annoying things is when you get killed by a tank which is spawn killing everyone. the people who are alive dont bother to stop it so every time you respawn, you dont know which way to go to avoid the tank.

it only takes one person to spot it, and i know that you might think to yourself that it is obvious a tank is there, but if it goes round a corner, then no one knows if it has stopped and then is about to come back again.

so just spot the dam thing!!
LG-MindBullets
+10|6723|Kirkland, WA

Tyferra wrote:

I actually disagree with rule 5. It may be good to constantly have a mobile spawn point, and in some situations it is ideal, but I find it good to have a stable squad leader who issues commands and strategies to his squad.
Yes, you're right in some situations it's ideal to have a dedicated squad leader who is up to the task of playing the part. Though, the squad leader in this situation should probably be the last member to engage in conflict then so that he/she can remain alive and well positioned.

aardfrith wrote:

When I'm playing medic (something I'm good at) and I've been killed, I find myself revived and playing with an assault kit.  I suck at assault, so it really p's me off that I've not been allowed to respawn as the kit I chose for a reason.  Then I get killed immediately over and over because the idiot who picked up my pack just revives me but doesn't kill the person who killed me.
In that particular example that I gave it is possible that you could put an ally at a disadvantage if they aren't very well rounded will all kits. As far as someone reviving you only to be killed again because they didn't eliminate the threat that caused the situation, well..., I feel your pain. As a medic, your responsibility should go beyond just reviving someone and should also entail making sure that they are revived into a reasonably safe situation. Edit: I just remembered a situation that might be a good example of how to aviod these types of unwanted scenarios. I was special forces working with a medic to capture the city entrance on Sharqi. Sure enough, a tank showed up and killed the medic. I was quick enough to hide from the tank and sneak up and destroy it with C4. I then quickly picked up my squad member's medic kit and revived him. He now of course had my special ops kit, which I still wanted to use and I assumed that he wanted his medic kit back. As I already had damage from the C4 blast that destroyed the tank I told him over VOIP that I was going to jump over the wall and kill myself, and that he needed to go to the bottom of the ledge and pickup the medic kit after I died and revive me. Once he understood this, I jumped over the edge and died from the fall. He came down to the bottom, picked up my medic kit, then revived me. I now had my special ops kit back, he had his medic kit, and because I was revived I didn't get a death counted against my score. So as long as you can find a way to kill yourself without having it be a suicide (I wouldn't suggest dropping a grenade at your feet for example because that would give you negative points) then you can give your ally the opportunity to revive you and end up with your original kits. Granted, you need to be able to communicate this to the guy your attempting to swap kits with, but it can work in certain situations.

RGB|Apocalypse wrote:

I totally agree and love the idea of Rule 5. But unfortunately, in pubs, its impossible to let every dude in your team knows that its the norm for them to keep rotating the SL role.
You're right, it's not always possible to find a squad willing to rotate the squad leader position, but you should at least give it a try. Try to explain it to them on VOIP or type text messeges if you have to.

RGB|Apocalypse wrote:

The only thing I am against is Rule 7. I've met with great commanders less than 30% of the time I play, esp since 1.03 patch where arti kills no longer counts for the commanders, alot of better players simply stopped wanting to be commanders. What happened is its usually some arti happy kid as the commander. I've got orders so many times to repair a bridge or worse radar/UAV when I'm halfway the other side of the map.. Jesus, when the commander orders you to repair the radar/UAV, you gotta know he sucked. :\
Sorry to hear that. I've actually had fairly good luck with commanders. About the only time I have trouble is if their assets are out or if our team doesn't have one at all. However, if a commander asks your squad to repair a bridge or assets and you clearly don't have an engineer in your squad then that should be an indication that they are not the most experienced commander since commanders have the ability to see what kits are in each squad.

Last edited by LG-MindBullets (2005-12-08 11:18:20)

randabeast
+0|6735
great guide
I wish I would have read this when I first started.

I find the problem with most commanders at least on 32 and 64 player maps is that they try to run around and fight while commanding. There is too much going on for this to be effective. Larger maps with less infantry to infantry fighting I guess a good commander could get it done but they would have to be good.

I think your switching roles point is the most effective for being a good squad member.

In a 100 hours of play as mostly infantry I have only come upon one game where squads and commander behaved as they should and we were unstoppable. It was a joy to watch the teamwork across squads.
Voice commands from the commander telling us a tank and 4 infantry were coming from a certain direction so we could prepare for them.
The commander sees the whole battefield and so is in the best position to make the calls.

I find two medics, a support, an assault, an AT, and maybe an engineer if you are in lots of vehicles makes the best squad. If you can get this mix then you have a hellava squad and then match with voice and you are unstoppable. Its a shame you cannot enforce voice and rank on a ranked server.
dunn2953
+0|6725
great guide

it tends to be more fun doing it the team way, then when i sometimes decide to increase my K ration so I just spawn camp.  when i just camp i tend to get a score like 35:-3:16:9 while when i just try to do everything for the team i get like 50:17:23:19 (total:team:kill:death)
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6777|Noizyland

Well as a Squad leader, Squad member and a Lone Wolf I try to die as rarely as possible anyway.

- Your total score should be 63 if you got those team:kill:death stats.

Last edited by Tyferra (2005-12-08 19:44:44)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6758
As a sniper I would like to protest rule 2.  Please keep standing still for long periods of time.  1-2 seconds is enugh for me to head shot you, but only if I happend to see you before hand.  Please stand arround for 10+ seconds just incase I am scaning the near by area and will not see you right away.

Remember snipers are just frinedly and speedy ammo delevery.  just incase you needed an extra bullet.

Last edited by Umbra Acciptris (2005-12-08 21:17:05)

smokyhead543
+0|6721
nice work you done here. However, it's gonna be almost impossible to find someone like this. I used to leave the tank to a tank freak. He appreciated and I am happy about it, but it's just not gonna happen for 95% of player out there.
RVS-Valve
+0|6742
I also vote for featured post. Great job!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

hmmm...sticky or featured post ? I'll sticky it for now, and chuy shall decide wether to put it in the featured post section.
SargeMcCain
Bleed for me!
+0|6717
I have to say this should earn Featured.

I've earned the role of (unofficial) Prime Contributor before, and believe me, a Squad NEEDS one of them. Sure, I didn't follow all of the rules you posted here, but I know it's possible - a good way to spot a Squaddie MVP is at the end of the round - the person will have highest TW points, Flag Cap, Flag defend, Kill assist, Cap assist, etc., and points for three kits all at the same time (mine also happened to include highest Combat a few times). Unfortunately this role doesn't get many medals (Bronze, Silver, Gold) unless you push the crazy side.

It's hard freakin' work, and glad to see there's more than just me trying something like this. Great guide, I'll incorporate a lot you pointed out into my strategy, and no doubt it'll make things more interesting. Thanks man.

Last edited by SargeMcCain (2005-12-09 05:01:34)

chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6850|"Frisco"

Excellent guide. The bolding and yellow stand outs are a nice touch too, btw.

Featured.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6778|UK
Congrats

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard