shingara
+0|6785|the motherland uk
i think it would be an improvement if we were able to play the normal maps from bf2 aswell as the standard bf2 maps,
   i feel a little let down to be restircted to the bf2:sf maps that i think are a little small and the night maps u cant see who is where till your dead, or a uav is in the air, and of course the run around the corner and shoot like a bunny cos u scared each other to death

[edit] i mean play the normal maps while we play sf with the kits etc

Last edited by shingara (2005-11-30 18:27:50)

Ci2e
+1|6736
I agree, having to load Special Forces seperately just to play the expansion is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a game for a very long time.  Then on top of all that you can't even use the grappling hook, zipline or tear gas in vanilla BF2.  I'm sorry but that just completely sucks, this has got to be one of the worst expansions EVER!  I still prefer to play vanilla BF2 since alot of my clan mates don't have it yet, besides that we're in the world tournament and getting used to the dark now isn't a good idea. 

Although, I have played Special Forces and so far I can say its really a disappointment, unlocks aren't global across factions so now you have to play 50h as each just to unlock weapons or something like that.  Night Vision might let you see in the dark but you have to be blind at some point since there is a time limit for how long you can use it, before the game came out this sounded like a good idea but when your night vision runs out when you really need it because you were using it when you thought you did becomes very annoying.  Not to mention I was looking forward to flying a jet at night time, and why the hell are the maps so damn small? The grappling hook and zipline are very fun but you can't use them in vanilla BF2!!! OMG did I already say that I'm so disappointed with this shit.

Last edited by Ci2e (2005-12-01 04:56:02)

kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6855|Bryan/College Station, TX
Having just got BF2:SF and now knowing what you are talking about, I have to agree. Having to unload then load BF2 to play BF2 maps and vica versa for playing BF2:SF maps is just the most crappy thing I have ever seen on an expansion. I expected a seemless transition if you had SF from SF map to BF2 maps. I shouldn't see any difference at all. Simple flags on the maps should determine if I have use of certain items. Really it's incredibly disappointing and has lowered my expectations of the quality of programing quite a bit. It is obvious that when it comes to the front end, menus, server lists, buddy lists, map selection, that EA/DICE is poor very very poor. Substandard beyond what I would have ever expected.

Regardless of how good the game itself is, which it is rather good, this oversight should be a black mark on EA/DICE and their ability to put out a quality game. Tsk tsk.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
thinner44
+1|6821
I too thought it was going to be an intermix of maps. Then I heard the complaints about, 'what if I haven't got SF, do I just get booted'. Then realised that the way EA have done it is possibly the only way. I would have liked to have seen somewhere that mixes maps, but as some say, it wouldn't be fair to get booted just because you haven't bought the expansion.. Just MHO
[FIS]-Thor
+0|6755|Vienna- Austria
i have that too... strange IS.. some of my fellowes Dont have that.. they started SF are on the server list and choose a normal BF 2 server and its starts WITHOUT they are froced to restart.. wtf?
BeefnCheez
+0|6757
Someone was throwing flashes around in Karkand, it hurt my eyes.
shingara
+0|6785|the motherland uk

thinner44 wrote:

I too thought it was going to be an intermix of maps. Then I heard the complaints about, 'what if I haven't got SF, do I just get booted'. Then realised that the way EA have done it is possibly the only way. I would have liked to have seen somewhere that mixes maps, but as some say, it wouldn't be fair to get booted just because you haven't bought the expansion.. Just MHO
i actually meant letting us play the normal bf2 in sf mode, if u know what i mean, so say i see a kirkland map, it has the green bf2 signit and only for bf2 sf players, garppling hooks zipline the lot, this would add an emmense and incredible amount of game play and stratergy to the maps that we have played in bf2, not a case of should i go around here or around there but should i go onto that building and over that wall, maybe use a zipline from the building down onto that building that overlooks the flag and defend it etc
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6767
It is a dissapointment, but its still early days & I think we will see more in the way of integration over the coming months in the form of additional maps & patches. Remember there is a new ribbon for planes in Special Forces, but no plane map... So time will tell
StokoE
Losers-Server
+51|6852|UK

kilroy0097 wrote:

Having just got BF2:SF and now knowing what you are talking about, I have to agree. Having to unload then load BF2 to play BF2 maps and vica versa for playing BF2:SF maps is just the most crappy thing I have ever seen on an expansion. I expected a seemless transition if you had SF from SF map to BF2 maps. I shouldn't see any difference at all. Simple flags on the maps should determine if I have use of certain items. Really it's incredibly disappointing and has lowered my expectations of the quality of programing quite a bit. It is obvious that when it comes to the front end, menus, server lists, buddy lists, map selection, that EA/DICE is poor very very poor. Substandard beyond what I would have ever expected.

Regardless of how good the game itself is, which it is rather good, this oversight should be a black mark on EA/DICE and their ability to put out a quality game. Tsk tsk.
Stop being moaning gits and get to the right part of the forum ! the moan section.

Anyway.. get yourself BF2 autoloader.. That will save the day.

www.bf2al.com

Brilliant
R1Armadillo
+0|6743
Can anyone else atest to the autoloader? Would be nice if we could get a smarter server listing.
Jodah3
+1|6751

Ci2e wrote:

I agree, having to load Special Forces seperately just to play the expansion is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a game for a very long time.
Ok... 1) It's far from the first game to do this, every MMORPG and RTS that I have played recently has separate icons that you need to load depending on which version of the game you wish to play.  2) They do this for a reason, if the expansion has different configurations/graphical engines etc, you want the proper ones to be loaded.

Ci2e wrote:

Then on top of all that you can't even use the grappling hook, zipline or tear gas in vanilla BF2.  I'm sorry but that just completely sucks
Ever consider the fact that the original maps were not designed with these things in mind?  There are places in the original maps that you're not intended to go.  All of the expansion maps are created with these tools in mind, which allows the developers to balance them as much as possible.

Ci2e wrote:

this has got to be one of the worst expansions EVER!
Fine.  Your opinion.  Stop crying.  You knew what it was going to contain before you bought it, if you didn't then shame on you for not researching it.

Ci2e wrote:

besides that we're in the world tournament
*golf clap*  This has no relevance to the topic.

Ci2e wrote:

Although, I have played Special Forces and so far I can say its really a disappointment, unlocks aren't global across factions so now you have to play 50h as each just to unlock weapons or something like that.
Last time I checked, unlocks were awarded based on your rank, which is gained through points.  Time is no factor.  If you're talking about the new weapons, they are defaults for certain armies in SF.  They are only unlocks in the original game.

Ci2e wrote:

Night Vision might let you see in the dark but you have to be blind at some point since there is a time limit for how long you can use it, before the game came out this sounded like a good idea but when your night vision runs out when you really need it because you were using it when you thought you did becomes very annoying.
It's called tactics, everyone has the same battery life.  If you run out and they don't, who's fault is that?  NVG are not intended to be on permanently, only flipped on when you enter a dark area.  In fact, I think the battery lasts too long as 99% of the time you will die before your battery runs low, which takes away the strategy part of using it.

Ci2e wrote:

Not to mention I was looking forward to flying a jet at night time, and why the hell are the maps so damn small? The grappling hook and zipline are very fun but you can't use them in vanilla BF2!!! OMG did I already say that I'm so disappointed with this shit.
Um... read a review and/or feature list before you buy a game next time?  Everyone and their grandmother knew it was an infantry based game with little emphasis on vehicles.  It's nobodies fault but your own and many of us who dislike vehicles are extremely happy with the game.
G.I.JOE¤MFA¤
+3|6741|Wherever Uncle Sams Needs Me.
to play vanila bf2 maps just copy and paste the maps into the bf2sf map folder (and visa versa) ...its that easy

just waiting for servers to do that...
Blankwindow
+1|6737
GI they probably wont let ranked servers do that because of reasons listed above.
Marsmillo
+0|6859
If you copy and paste the maps into the bf2sf map, you can not use the zipline and grabbeling hook.
In fact you will play whit the original army's...

I wass messing arround white the maps and become way to play the singelplayer maps in SF whit SF tools. The only probleme is it still don't work online. Even if the server have the same version of the map... I am looking for a way to clear it, but I don't have the modfeeling for it in me...

Some sceens i made, it was realy fun to play aginst the bots

- Screen 1 - Screen 2 - Screen 3 - Screen 4 - Screen 5 -
- Screen 6 - Screen 7 - Screen 8 - Screen 9 - Screen 10 -

So i hope EA/Dice wil convert the maps to SF...

Last edited by Marsmillo (2005-12-08 08:23:14)

Freezer
+4|6720
Karkand at night would be SO NICE....
DVSXXKILLA
+0|6714|Australia
wtf u all talking about.. when i load bf2 sf and click multiplayer i can click to choose an old bf2 server or a new sf server.. i dont have to load bf2 seperate from sf to get the map i want.. i think u all need to reinstall ur game.. ??
Freezer
+4|6720

DVSXXKILLA wrote:

wtf u all talking about.. when i load bf2 sf and click multiplayer i can click to choose an old bf2 server or a new sf server.. i dont have to load bf2 seperate from sf to get the map i want.. i think u all need to reinstall ur game.. ??
Right you can get into a SF server or a regular BF2 server by loading either or if you load BF2 and click on a SF server it reloads the game with the correct mod by design. 

I think what people want is the BF2 maps converted to use the SF abilities (Zips, Grapples, Night Vision etc).  Hence my Karkand at night  that map would be pretty cool in the dark with different capture points or even the same it still would be cool..
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6726|Purplicious Wisconsin
I agree plus there is an aurial service ribbon, what is the point of that if there are no sf maps with aircraft.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
cospengle
+140|6499|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Yes. This is an old thread, but I haven't been able to find a definate answer to this question.

Regardless of "rankedness". Is it POSSIBLE to play normal BF2 maps with SF kits? Whether it be by copying files from one folder to another one, or D/Ling a mod?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6302|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

cospengle wrote:

Yes. This is an old thread, but I haven't been able to find a definate answer to this question.

Regardless of "rankedness". Is it POSSIBLE to play normal BF2 maps with SF kits? Whether it be by copying files from one folder to another one, or D/Ling a mod?
Yes, it is very possible. I remember someone converting Karkand into a night map and shits. Or subbing the US and MEC with the SAS and SEALs. So yes, it is very possible.

/flame
STUPID REVIVE NUB

Sorry, I had to say it to balance it out.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Scratch[USA]
+105|6559

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard