Johnthegreg
+1|6764
Kinda unsure how the ping thing works.  I'm under the impression that a high ping is a bad thing.  I have been kicked for having a high ping.  I also noticed that I lag when my ping is higher.  Last night I logged on to a server and my ping was 175 give or take.  It was somewhat laggy so I logged off and tried a different server.  Still around 175 but there was little to no lag so I stayed.  I have played on servers where my ping was around 30 to 50, and this seemed to provide the best gaming (no lag etc.).  So..... what IS ping really and how is it decided?  Is it just luck to get on a server were my ping is low or can I somehow tell before logging on?  How does my ping screw up everyone else?  I don't mind being kicked for high ping, I don't want to f up everyones game.  Thanx.
NM156
The H4xor Mod
+161|6887|North Texas
First of all... welcome to the forums! Second... this section is for BF2s.com help, not game help. I'll move it for you.
Johnthegreg
+1|6764
Oh jeebuz.... Thanks.  Hang my head in shame cuz I'm NOT paying attention. 
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6882|Cologne, Germany

wrong forum. this is for help with bf2s.com - the website - only.

will be moved to BF2:Chatter EDIT: nope, wasn't....

ping is the time it takes to send a data packet from your pc to the game server ( or any other pc in any network, such as the internet ) and back. It is measured in milliseconds = ms. In general, the lower your ping is, the faster data packets will be exchanged between your pc and the server.
As far as multiplayer games are concerned, the guys with the best ping usually have the best performance, since data packets arrive at their pc earlier than at other pc's. Differences in ping can be balanced a little by the game's netcode, but in the end those with lower pings will mostly have an advantage over those who suffer from high ping. This was especially true in older games like counterstrike, where big differences in ping would often lead to nearly unfair advantages for those with low pings. They would basically see the other guy a split second earlier, which in most cases was enough to release the first shot before your opponent had even seen you.
The biggest factor in your ping is the quality of internet connection you have. the faster your connection is, the better your ping will be. Also, distance to the game server is of importance. If it is close to you, packets will have to travel a shorter distance. If it is far away ( on another continent, for example ), packets will have to travel long ways, thereby pushing your ping up. then there is the quality of the connection of the game server you are playing on and how the network it is on performs. it is quite a lot of factors, actually.
Speed of your connection and distance to server are the two most important ones though ( IMHO at least ).
If you open the server browser in BF2, you will see what ping each server on the list has. I suggest you choose one with a low ping ( i.e. a server that is geographically close to where you are ).
Johnthegreg
+1|6764
Thanx!  Makes perfect sense now.  It explains why I was so laggy playing with these german dudes last night.  They were pretty cool but I couldn't understand what the hell they were saying.
B.Schuss

now, the dreaded lag. lag happens when packets that are being sent between your PC and the server get lost in the depths of the internet. that will result in that well-known "stuttering" of player models. At that point, play becomes merely impossible. not necessarily will you lag if your ping is high. you may have a high ping, but still no packets are lost. they just take longer to get to you. I have found that I am able to play BF2 with quite some success even when my ping is way above 100 ms. I might be a bit slow to react to certain events, but as long as I don't get lags, I will be fine.
Nevertheless, I will have a disadvantage against players with considerably lower pings.

therefore, I mostly play on servers that are geographically close to me. From where I play ( germany ) best ping is to german servers, of course, where I will have pings between 14ms and 24ms. Rest of europe is just a little slower, around 25-50 ms, depending on the distance and the connection speed of the server.

fyi, I have a 2Mbit DSL flatrate with Fast Path enabled.
HellSibling
+0|6842
okay, so how the hells do you find a server close to you?  i understand all the techno-lingo and all that about ping, but how do i find a server thats in western canada?  or better yet in the same province as me?
[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6781|Germany, Berlin
Hey B.Schuss, i also have a 1Mbit T-DSL flatrate. what does "fast path" mean?
ChiefCrash
Spawns in front of rockets and bullets
+4|6784

HellSibling wrote:

okay, so how the hells do you find a server close to you?  i understand all the techno-lingo and all that about ping, but how do i find a server thats in western canada?  or better yet in the same province as me?
sometimes, the server will even say in their server name.  like "EA OFFICIAL US SERVER 5" or something dumb like that....

other than that, when you're browsing the servers in BF2, just look at the ping for the servers.  The lower, usually the closer.  It will even let you sort the servers by ping...
Ballistix5
+36|6815|Forster NSW
I dunno what other people have said so im probably repeating somthing

The ping is a latency of how far behind everyone else you are which is measured in mili-seconds when its at 175 your 1.75 seconds behind everyone else which isnt so bad beleive it or not.

It gets better and worse based on what country your in and the server your playing on is in.
If your in Australia like me and you play on a German server or somthing ur ping could be anything up to 400

If I play on an australian server my ping can be 5
It all depends though, Ping kickers are usually used as a Country Filter to keep people from other countries out of the server.

in america they have servers which narrow down to the city so.. "EA US Official LA Server"

you get the idea
Hope that helps a little bit =P
xilix
+0|6808

Ballistix5 wrote:

The ping is a latency of how far behind everyone else you are which is measured in mili-seconds when its at 175 your 1.75 seconds behind everyone else which isnt so bad beleive it or not.
Wrong...ping is part of the ICMP protocol suite and is a measurement of time it takes for your packets to reach a destination host.  In otherwords, it is a measure of latency.  It is measured in milliseconds.  It has no correlation to anyone else in the game.  That is apparent since ICMP was around LONG before internet gaming.  Also, it has nothing to do with how good your pc hardware is.  Your pc has no bearing on how quickly your packets traverse the internet.
[Ahazi] Kaika
The Suicidal Soldier
+3|6802

xilix wrote:

Ballistix5 wrote:

Wrong...ping is part of the ICMP protocol suite and is a measurement of time it takes for your packets to reach a destination host.  In otherwords, it is a measure of latency.  It is measured in milliseconds.  It has no correlation to anyone else in the game.  That is apparent since ICMP was around LONG before internet gaming.  Also, it has nothing to do with how good your pc hardware is.  Your pc has no bearing on how quickly your packets traverse the internet.
Plus, your math is wrong.  If your ping is 175, then it takes data packets 0.175 seconds to get from your computer to the server, and back.  If your ping is 1000, then it is taking 1 second, and you're probably playing an MMORPG not BF2.  A ping of over 1000 is unheard of on a FPS.  Most server connections won't allow you in.
Jeckelcopy
Ach du Sheisse!!!!
+2|6800
Meh...I have a cable connection, yet I get high ping..on every server, practically...(after the new patch...)
B.Schuss

[S.P.S]1on1killa wrote:

Hey B.Schuss, i also have a 1Mbit T-DSL flatrate. what does "fast path" mean?
fast path ist ein spezielles T-Online feature für gamer. es schaltet die automatische Fehlerkorrektur seitens T-Online aus. damit können die Pings beim Zocken deutlich sinken, in manchen Fällen um bis zu 50%.

Damit hat man zwar keine zusätzliche Fehlerkorrektur durch T-Online mehr, aber das spielt kaum eine Rolle, da das normale IP Protokoll ja schon Fehlerkorrekturen enthält.

Für mich persönlich hat es deutliche Ping-Verbesserungen gebracht.

ausserdem kostet es nur 0,99 € zusätzlich im Monat, also kann man damit eigentlich kaum was falsch machen.

Gruß,
B.Schuss

btw, for those yof you wondering why I post this in german only, he was asking about a special feature by a german ISP. accordingly, it is not of interest to the general non-german public....
[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6781|Germany, Berlin
danke B.Schuss

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard