Durk_Diggler
+0|6774
Does anyone else think that the MP7 looks remarkably like the SMG from Halflife 2?  I mean, the grip is a bit shorter in the MP7, and the one in halflife 2 has a grenade launcher, but the design of it looks like it was based off the MP7.  Anyone else agree?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6890|-
Post a screenshot of both, side-by-side.
Durk_Diggler
+0|6774
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/weapons/   Scroll down to see http://dx.ampednews.com/images/news/3677/MP7%20PDW%20rendu.jpg  BF2 MP7

Last edited by Durk_Diggler (2005-11-25 23:09:19)

emperorphoenix
+5|6817|Westeren Australia
it kick asss i got 2 use it
Bloody Sky
+2|6887|Texas

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Post a screenshot of both, side-by-side.
https://www.gamedonga.co.kr/images/analysis_images_h/halflife2/weapon_05.jpghttps://www.geocities.com/bloodyrain666@sbcglobal.net/BFSMP7.GIF

Sorry about the size difference. And yes I know pics where posted, but this is a pic of the MP7 actually in game of BF2.
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6798
it's a differnt model, but it is of the SAME weapon, so yes they look quite similar, and should.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6806

They're both HK MP7's (Heckler und Koch Machinen Pistole 7), a Personal Defense Weapon that was designed for Engineers and Anti-Tank style classes. Soldiers who needed a weapon strong enough to penetrate body armor at reasonable range (pistols/other SMG's weren't powerful enough) but smaller than your conventional rifle (becuase they're for defense, not offense). So came the PDW age, guns in between Submachine guns and rifles. The Fabrique Nationale Herstal P90 (FN P90) is the more famous PDW, which fit in to MP7's category.

I choose Engineer to pump my enemy's full of lead in one shot, I'm not unlocking it. It'll be nice to use, but I'd rather use a pump action. I don't even use the wrench when I'm engineer lol.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6801|Brixham, UK
Tis an aweseome weapon in Rainbow Six Lockdwon. But Lockdown is rubbish.
Maj.Do
+85|6794|good old CA
yea its from HL2 . never knew it was a real gun

damn 60 sec rule
............................................................................................................................................................
divided
Clear!
+3|6815
did i miss something?
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6763

Coolbeano wrote:

So came the PDW age, guns in between Submachine guns and rifles. The Fabrique Nationale Herstal P90 (FN P90) is the more famous PDW, which fit in to MP7's category.
NO! Bad! The P90 is NOT in the same class as the MP7. The MP7 is little larger than a pistol-sized weapon, designed to be carried by vehicle crew / helicopter crew, because a pistol class weapon is no longer effective when most combatants will have armour. The P90 is a submachinegun that uses high penetration ammo, but is in the same class as the MP5. The MP7 is an evolution from that, following the trend through the MP5-PDW variant. The P90 is about the same size as most SMGs and is NOT a PDW. Its intention is to give LE applications a harder-hitting SMG, not to supply crew with a sidearm. The P90 is between an SMG and an assault rifle, and the MP7 is between an SMG and a pistol, with heavier calibre.

fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6797

he_who_says_zonk wrote:

Coolbeano wrote:

So came the PDW age, guns in between Submachine guns and rifles. The Fabrique Nationale Herstal P90 (FN P90) is the more famous PDW, which fit in to MP7's category.
NO! Bad! The P90 is NOT in the same class as the MP7. The MP7 is little larger than a pistol-sized weapon, designed to be carried by vehicle crew / helicopter crew, because a pistol class weapon is no longer effective when most combatants will have armour. The P90 is a submachinegun that uses high penetration ammo, but is in the same class as the MP5. The MP7 is an evolution from that, following the trend through the MP5-PDW variant. The P90 is about the same size as most SMGs and is NOT a PDW. Its intention is to give LE applications a harder-hitting SMG, not to supply crew with a sidearm. The P90 is between an SMG and an assault rifle, and the MP7 is between an SMG and a pistol, with heavier calibre.

Read http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm for the info on the FN P-90 and http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg49-e.htm for the HK MP-7. The P-90 was developed for personal defense for troops who would not be fighting on the front lines (i.e. engineers, medics, etc.) but needed a weapon that could penetrate body armor. It was on this weapon that the concept of the Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) was developed and put into practice by Heckler and Koch with their MP-7. In fact, both weapons are being considered by NATO as candidates for their PDW, so they are in fact both PDWs. While the P-90 has better hitting capacity and a larger magazine, it is considerably larger. The MP-7 does not have as good stopping power but is much smaller (and can be carried as a pistol/sidearm).
General Zod
+0|6835|Behind my rifle
No sh*t, Sherlock. The H&K MP7 is what Valve based their HL2 SMG on.
Coolbeano
+378|6806

fikraag7, you beat me to it lol
Brummie
+0|6762|Birmingham, UK
I think this guns great i got my Veteran Engineer badge on Warlord with this gun!!! and i picked it as my unlock to!
Blankwindow
+1|6767
So what does it matter if the weapons are similiar.  The HL gun is based off of it since it's in the future. The BF2 a modern attempting to be realistic in weaponry game is using the actual gun. Does it really matter? it's actually a damn good gun I've taken out more than one person using a dao with it because of it's very quick rate of fire. They get one maybe two shots off before 8 or 9 bullets slam into their chest.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6886|Bryan/College Station, TX

Coolbeano wrote:

They're both HK MP7's (Heckler und Koch Machinen Pistole 7), a Personal Defense Weapon that was designed for Engineers and Anti-Tank style classes. Soldiers who needed a weapon strong enough to penetrate body armor at reasonable range (pistols/other SMG's weren't powerful enough) but smaller than your conventional rifle (becuase they're for defense, not offense). So came the PDW age, guns in between Submachine guns and rifles. The Fabrique Nationale Herstal P90 (FN P90) is the more famous PDW, which fit in to MP7's category.

I choose Engineer to pump my enemy's full of lead in one shot, I'm not unlocking it. It'll be nice to use, but I'd rather use a pump action. I don't even use the wrench when I'm engineer lol.
Why can't they make the MP7 an unlock for use by both Engineers and Anti-Tank in BF2? Damn them.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
cargo555
+0|6789
the MP7 sort of reminds me of the SMG from Halo2.....https://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/halo2bios/22smg.jpg
https://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/images/40969-4.jpg
Rosse_modest
+76|6818|Antwerp, Flanders

cargo555 wrote:

the MP7 sort of reminds me of the SMG from Halo2.....
Are you being sarcastic?
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6763

fikraag7 wrote:

Read http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm for the info on the FN P-90 and http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg49-e.htm for the HK MP-7. The P-90 was developed for personal defense for troops who would not be fighting on the front lines (i.e. engineers, medics, etc.) but needed a weapon that could penetrate body armor. It was on this weapon that the concept of the Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) was developed and put into practice by Heckler and Koch with their MP-7. In fact, both weapons are being considered by NATO as candidates for their PDW, so they are in fact both PDWs. While the P-90 has better hitting capacity and a larger magazine, it is considerably larger. The MP-7 does not have as good stopping power but is much smaller (and can be carried as a pistol/sidearm).
From the very site you linked me to, which was my reference anyway, it specifically says:

"P90 may be referred as a forerunner of the PDW (Personal Defence Weapon) concept, that arose in last 4 or 5 years."

Being developed in the 80s, it is impossible that it could be classed as a PDW!

I will certainly concede that the intention / design base is similar (in that the P90 was the first successful iteration to suit the purpose the PDW arose for), but they are different classes of weapons.
Rumfuddle
+14|6760
With some trepidation I unlocked the MP7 and find it to be a good alternative to the pump action and jackhammer.  I do love the jackhammer, but there are times when I need a mid-range weapon desperately and the MP7, even with its weaknesses, fills the role.  And yes, you can snipe with it but in general that's probably not the best use of an engineer's time.
Coolbeano
+378|6806

The pumps are the best.

Hell, when I select engineer it's not for the wrench but for that pump shottie.
The fact that almost everyone I encounter think I got a crappy weapon, they stand there and fire away, while i run, jump and headshot them.
Rumfuddle
+14|6760

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

MP7 sucks.. I have it and I tried to use it and found myself pumping anti-tankers in the chest with a clip and me falling down to 2 DAO-12 rounds... pathetic.

Regular shotguns are much more efficient. The long range argument doesn't make much sense either... just pull out your pistol. You shouldn't be concerned about long range firefights in that case.. you're a damn engineer.
Uh, MP7 v. DAO up close, what do you expect?  You'll lose every time unless you squeeze out a head shot.  If I'm using the MP7 I'm looking to AVOID up close encounters.  And frankly in certain maps the shotguns are near useless.  Pistol has its uses and in the past I've accumulated many kills with it as engineer, but the MP7 has a better sight and does better damage.  To each his own.
Coolbeano
+378|6806

There was this one time at Songhua (before I fell in love with pumps) i saw these two guys running across the fish factory, around 15 yards down, and i just took two shots with my pump and they both died.

Lots of luck... or my magical skill

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard