gazzie
Pulls out gun, Watch him run
+39|6755|England
Im sorry if this has been mentioned before its new to me and is always happening to me i cant play on a server any more i click join server and then the screen goes completely black and brings me back up to the desktop page does anyone know what this problem is or how to solve this problem.

Last edited by gazzie (2005-12-15 18:59:21)

hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6797|mansfield
when that was happening to me i reinstalled bf2 then the new patch then special forces , and finally the patch once again.
if you dont have sf then i suggest you just install the patch again. if this does'nt work then i dont know what to do
Rizen_Ji
+41|6769|200m out and smiling at you.
do the ultimate restart, just re-install bf2
Scr0k
A clown killed my dad
+47|6548|Alabama
I too had this problem. Now what i do when the game is loading is i click on the background to make sure that the computer knows that i am in BF2 so that it does not think i am still at my desktop. Try repeatedly clicking on the background of the loading screen. It has not closed me out once since i've been doing this. Maybe it is a coincidence but it has not failed me yet.
-=CB=-krazykarl
not always PWD, but usually.
+95|6569|Carlsbad, CA, USA

it's called CTD crash to desktop. and yay isn't it fun!!11!!11 hopefully patch 2.967 will solve the problem, if not the friendly guys at dice will be glad to say sorry and work on patch 2.968.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6630|Seattle

There's a couple things you could try. The first would be to delete your profiles from My Doc's/BF2/profiles  They're named 001, 002, etc. You will have to redo your control and video settings however (lame). The other thing that might work is a little less drastic. When you join a server and when it's ready for you to click "Join Game", wait for about 15 seconds before clicking it. I make it a habit to wait for a while. Clcik the auto ready button over and over til you hear it click, then it's ready. If neither of thiose things work, reinstall, repatch.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6579
For me, the only time it does this is when I click the Join button before I first join the server. Click the auto-ready box next to the join button and then wait for it to auto-join for the 1st round you are joining the server. After the 1st round and the map either changes or a new round starts, then I can click the join button and get in right away without crashing.

I have heard this has to do with a max TCP connections limit set by windows and not BF2, but I haven't tested it myself since the fix I found was for WinXP only and i'm too lazy to edit it myself so I can test it.

Re-install and full 1.3 patch didn't fix anything for me.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6630|Seattle

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

ha ha! Beat ya to it

PS. WTF does that cartoon mean in your sig? Sounds like some Chi-Mo shiat
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6770
just setup auto join and hit esc instead of join.
now if its on join server just move the bf2 directly in my documents to another directory for safe keeping then retrive your account.
if that fails reinstall and repatch with full 1.3
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6665|949

King_County_Downy wrote:

The other thing that might work is a little less drastic. When you join a server and when it's ready for you to click "Join Game", wait for about 15 seconds before clicking it.  Clcik the auto ready button over and over til you hear it click, then it's ready.
Works every time
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6665|Derby, England

gazzie wrote:

Im sorry if this has been mentioned before its new to me and is always happening to me i cant play on a server any more i click join server and then the screen goes completely black and brings me back up to the desktop page does anyone know what this problem is or how to solve this problem.
Problem - Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server.
Cause - No CDKEY in Registry / Uninstalling BF1942 on a system that has BF2 on it.
Fix - If you have the Uninstalling BF1942 issue, skip this bit and read the part below.
Use battlefield2_code.exe to re-enter your CDKEY, this can be located in the support folder of where you installed battlefield 2 on your Hard-Drive.
After re-entering your CDKEY you must then reapply the latest patch in order for it to be encrypted into the registry.
This Program can also be used. ftp://ftp.ea-europe.com/UK_Support/EAGA … yCheck.exe

If you have the Uninstalling BF1942 issue, read on from here.

You must remove BF2 manually and reinstall it. Here's how: (modified slightly from EA's instructions to preserve settings/config):

Save your settings/configs:
* Open My Documents, rename "Battlefield 2" folder to "Battlefield 2 previous"

Delete the game files:
* Find your installation of Battlefield 2 (default: c:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2) and delete it.

Remove registry entries:
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on Run.
3. Type regedit in the text field.
4. Click File and then choose Export.
5. Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
6. Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
7. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
8. Click the plus sign next to Software.
9. Click the plus sign next to DICE.
10. Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
11. Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
12. Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
13. Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
14. Click the plus sign next to Windows.
15. Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
16. Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
17. Right-click on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} and choose Delete.
18. A Confirm Key Delete window will appear, choose Yes.
19. Close the WindowsRegistry Editor.

Battlefield 2 is now completely removed from your system.

Re-installation:
1. Reinstall Battlefield 2
2. Apply latest patch
3. Open My Documents, Rename "Battlefield 2" folder to "Battlefield 2 old" (this is the freshly installed settings directory which you may want to keep just in case).
4. Rename "Battlefield 2 previous" (your settings before BF2 stopped working) to "Battlefield 2"

Peace Boris
pdanrichey
+5|6840

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

The other thing that might work is a little less drastic. When you join a server and when it's ready for you to click "Join Game", wait for about 15 seconds before clicking it.  Clcik the auto ready button over and over til you hear it click, then it's ready.
Works every time
Not for me...  That was working for me about a week ago, now something different is happening.  I seldom have the problem with CTD, but I ALWAYS "lose connection with the server."  I would join the server...wait for it to load, then when I could join the game, I would count down from 20...join...no problem.  Even if there was a problem and I did crash back to the server screen, I would join it again and never have ANY problems the 2nd time. 
Now, no matter what I do or when I join, the game plays the same repeating sound for about 20 seconds, then takes me back to the server screen claiming that I've lost connection with the server.  Sorta gay IMO.
Lt.Garbo
Commander God
+41|6689|Denver, CO
See my post, maybe it'll fix it:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=28412

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard