Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
i wana buy a new processor an motherboard right, but people have been telling me i need to make sure it is "compatable" with all the other stuff in my pc......   but how do i know?     i know the obvious answer "look at the specs of the motherboard2   but  alot of that info means nothing to me lol

so..... i know afew processors i would want -  INTEL P4 660 3.6GHz 800MHz 2MB 775    or        AMD 64BIT 4000+ RETAIL PROCESSOR 939

or maby someone could tell me what info i NEED to know, and i can take what info i need to a shop and ask for something that will work with my computer
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6879|Germany
You need to know the interfaces on your mainboard and the interfaces of your devices.
- HDD: ATA/S-ATA/SCSI?
- CD/DVD: ATA/SCSI?
- Video card: PCI/AGP/PCI-X?
- RAM: SDRAM/DDRAM/RAMBUS?

If you have ATA drives and an AGP video card you will have to buy a mainboard that has ATA interfaces and an AGP slot. Otherwise you will have to buy new drives or cards. Buy a mainboard that has the same RAM interfaces as you have now.

You should see that the mainboard fits into your case.

How many cards are built in currently (NIC? Sound card? PCI-Modem? TV?). Be sure you buy a mainboard with enough PCI slots so that you can throw all your stuff in later.
Ryan
+1,230|6874|Alberta, Canada

can you just by a new processor instead of a new computer? maybe thats what we should do!
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
lol ofcourse you can

Last edited by Green-Lynx (2005-11-19 13:14:44)

Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!

NiMhurchu wrote:

You need to know the interfaces on your mainboard and the interfaces of your devices.

If you have ATA drives and an AGP video card you will have to buy a mainboard that has ATA interfaces and an AGP slot. Otherwise you will have to buy new drives or cards. Buy a mainboard that has the same RAM interfaces as you have now.

You should see that the mainboard fits into your case.

How many cards are built in currently (NIC? Sound card? PCI-Modem? TV?). Be sure you buy a mainboard with enough PCI slots so that you can throw all your stuff in later.
thanks for that                          if there is any other stuff i need to know sum1 please post
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6797|Cambridge (UK)

Green-Lynx wrote:

NiMhurchu wrote:

if there is any other stuff i need to know sum1 please post
NiMhurchu probably should have mentioned 'IDE' - this is basically the same as 'ATA' - but you'll see both used, but not always together - so just remember if it says 'IDE' it means 'ATA' and you won't go far wrong.
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
ok thanks for that

now....  whats best for gaming, a pentium processor or a AMD processor......      also, dule core or not dule core...

so much technical stuff
4lter_3go
+1|6777|Leighton Barracks, Germany
AMD = best for gaming
right now duel-cores really arent bein used to their full potential when it comes to games
but as in your first post the 4000+ would be a good choice
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
thanks
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
ok i found the processor an motherboard i wana get (well..... if its compatable)
but my question now is, how to i find out what the info i need is?

HDD - no idea and dont know how to get that info
CD/DVD - same again
Video Card: GeForce 6200 512MB/DDR AGP8X supported
RAM - well i checked in the program CPU-Z and it said DDR-SDRAM.......

if sum1 that knows about this stuff cud add me on xfire that wud be nice    - raflynx4       is my xfire
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
oooooooooo, now i ran the program "belarc advisor"  an it said this:

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

i see the bit "IDE"  that someone said something about up above, so all i need to do now is sheck the new motherboard spec and see if it says it will work with IDE  right?
Possum61
+9|6779|Philly PA USA
Intel rules
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6773|United Kingdom
If your getting a new processor, you gotta  make sure your motherboard is compatible with it - If you're aiming to get the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (I use that ) then you'll need to make sure your motherboard supports 939 pin. Easiest way to check this is look at a computer hardware website store - like www.overclockers.co.uk - This is where i got my upgrades (and info on specs).
Of course, you'll need to check whether your Graphics Card is compatible with your new motherboard - go to the aforementioned site, look up your card and see if it's PCI-E or VGA - then make sure your Motherboard supports VGA / PCI-E (PCI Express).

I'm quite sure that everything else will be compatible with your new motherboard - Cd drive, Hard-drive etc. (unless they are really really old....)

If you've never built or upgraded a computer before...i'd suggest getting a professional to do it...because you could cause some damage by connecting it all wrong.

Oh, one last thing to check - Your Power Supply Unit. Make sure it's giving out enough power for your machine - if yours is less than 300W, get a new one (just my opinion - I don't know what your graphics card is, but. better to have more power than necessary than not enough)

Hope that helped

Last edited by -=Meshekal=- (2005-11-20 09:14:01)

Breadman
+27|6764|Southern New Jersey
Intel rules for some pc programs but not for gaming. I have a Athlon 64 pc for gaming and  intel P4 pc for visual studio,dreamweaver and photoshop. Both Intel and Amd have good points and bad points. Far as a pc being used for nothing but gaming Amd is the best choice.Right now Evga has a special if you buy a G-Force 7800gt you get a free Dual pci express nforce 4 motherboard.Pay 400 bucks for both save 150 bucks. Here's link for info about the deal http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258
Also you need a 450 watt power supply to use a g-force 7800 series video cards. Would be good to go with a 500 watt power supply. And a good one not one of thoose cheap ass 20 to 30 buck power supplies.
Or check out this pc site for custon built pc. They use top shelf pc parts at good prices.
www.cyberpowerpc.com  right now they have a pc with athlon 64 3500 dual 7800 gt's 2 gig of corsair ram 250 gig stat hd
n-force 4 mb lg 16x dvd+-rw drive asus vento 3600 extreme gaming case with 500 watt ps xp pro 64 come with cambridge p7800 7.1 speakers logitech deluxe kb wireless 802.11 card and a microsoft optical mouse all for 1,889  add 100 bucks for  3800 cpu. Even cheaper pc's with singel 7800's 6800's and daul 6800's
you can configure your own custom pc on the site with what you want in it. I did some pricing and couldnpt build that pc myself for 1,900 bucks came to almost 2,500 plus with out xp pro 64. And you get free 1 year on site service and bunch other  free stuff

Last edited by Breadman (2005-11-20 09:50:25)

WhiteBoy88
+0|6791|The Hairy Mole On Earth's Ass
RAM: not just the type!!
Also make sure your RAM can keep up with the new board/processor. Check which RAM speeds your board supports (usually expressed in the PC- or DDR formats, such as PC2700 or DDR 400). Slow/mismatched RAM can kill the benefits of other upgrades.
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

...................Hope that helped
yea it did!!!!   thanks
deject
Got His War On
+37|6805|Golden, CO

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

If your getting a new processor, you gotta  make sure your motherboard is compatible with it - If you're aiming to get the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (I use that ) then you'll need to make sure your motherboard supports 939 pin. Easiest way to check this is look at a computer hardware website store - like www.overclockers.co.uk - This is where i got my upgrades (and info on specs).
Of course, you'll need to check whether your Graphics Card is compatible with your new motherboard - go to the aforementioned site, look up your card and see if it's PCI-E or VGA - then make sure your Motherboard supports VGA / PCI-E (PCI Express).

I'm quite sure that everything else will be compatible with your new motherboard - Cd drive, Hard-drive etc. (unless they are really really old....)

If you've never built or upgraded a computer before...i'd suggest getting a professional to do it...because you could cause some damage by connecting it all wrong.

Oh, one last thing to check - Your Power Supply Unit. Make sure it's giving out enough power for your machine - if yours is less than 300W, get a new one (just my opinion - I don't know what your graphics card is, but. better to have more power than necessary than not enough)

Hope that helped
He's got this covered pretty well.

It's most likely that you have an AGP videocard so you should try to find one that supports AGP.  The best option might be this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813157081

you can run AGP and the new type of card, PCI-Express.
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
ok well.... im going to get these in a shop, so if i took along a pice of paper saying my video card is AGP, ram is DDR-SDRAM and processor is AMD Athlon 64 and ask for a motherboard that will work with those and get one, everythign else should be ok shouldnt it?
WhiteBoy88
+0|6791|The Hairy Mole On Earth's Ass
If you're going to a shop, you might as well take your whole computer in with you, just to cover everything. There's a lot of other small things you'll have to look at, too. Like cpu cooling, accessory compatability, power supply compatability, etc.

A computer shop can serve you better by seeing your equipment. And if you're new to computer upgrades, you should have them install it for you, to make sure you don't accidentaly forget or fry anything. I remember sitting in front of my first build for an hour before I realized I hadn't plugged the power switch to the motherboard.
Green-Lynx
+1|6775|Scotland!!!
yea i suppose i could do that

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard