unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6792|PNW

Your first-born son with him would be named after your 3d mouse.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6126|eXtreme to the maX
Space Navigator?

Perfectly apt.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3472

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Tesla is still 3-4× pre-pandemic price. That should be the benchmark. Stock market spiked irrationally at the start of the pandemic. We are still due for at least 5% more dip in the stock market
90% of US stock pricing is speculation.
so why are you so impressed by his 'wow he built several multi-billion dollar businesses' schtick? lol. make up your fucking mind.

tesla being valued at several times more than the largest car conglomerates on earth, shipping tens of thousands of vehicles per year globally, is a poor joke. but you seem awfully besotted with this image of an 'engineering genius' who masterminded it all. no. he's a confidence man.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6792|PNW

And Musk fans are mad on his behalf about overpriced Twitter.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6652|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Tesla is still 3-4× pre-pandemic price. That should be the benchmark. Stock market spiked irrationally at the start of the pandemic. We are still due for at least 5% more dip in the stock market
90% of US stock pricing is speculation.
That's the case for virtually any stock, Dilbert. If you're trying to argue that stocks are 90% overvalued...ok lol.

There's an argument to make around tech stocks being insanely overvalued (50x P:E for a company like Tesla is insane), but trying to formulate an argument about overvalued stocks by tying it to speculation when virtually every stock is priced based on expected future performance (speculation) is stupid.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6652|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhoePCRUAAA1WLG?format=jpg&name=large
The guy on the left reminds me of the Stephen Colbert meme.
https://64.media.tumblr.com/d01f4eae84afbffb01ea43a9c6995b2d/tumblr_onam0xJlsq1tex7e8o2_540.png
Those were two people who trolled news agencies by posing as recently fired employees of Twitter. This is Elon being le meme genius

It's trolls all the way down!
uziq
+492|3472
https://twitter.com/briannawu/status/15 … leltBD_1-Q

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhtnaBOWYAEcHls?format=jpg&name=large

and the investors are loving it!

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-17 01:03:57)

uziq
+492|3472
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

That's the case for virtually any stock, Dilbert. If you're trying to argue that stocks are 90% overvalued...ok lol.

There's an argument to make around tech stocks being insanely overvalued (50x P:E for a company like Tesla is insane), but trying to formulate an argument about overvalued stocks by tying it to speculation when virtually every stock is priced based on expected future performance (speculation) is stupid.
Not really, in most places stock prices are tied to price/earnings and dividend yield, not the feverish speculation about future impossibilities which seems to happen more in America than anywhere else.
uziq
+492|3472
but elon musk is surely the figurehead of talking bullshit, making undeliverable promises, and pumping stock prices? but then you hold him up as some great success story because 'he is an engineer who has built many companies'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think its clear that collapsing twitter is part of the great master plan.

Think of the trillions of man hours wasted on twitter, if that had been expended usefully we would literally have Mars bases by now.
uziq
+492|3472
and you who spends an hour or two every day on an internet forum is surely zooming ahead with self-refinement and a busy social calendar, right?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No u
uziq
+492|3472
i do have a pretty busy social calendar, actually. a guest just left my place a few hours ago. does mumsy let you have sleepovers?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6792|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Think of the trillions of man hours wasted on twitter, if that had been expended usefully we would literally have Mars bases by now.
I can't believe I'm hearing this from an engineer. All the non-scientists on twitter could just put their heads together and solve all the standing, and yet-to-be-discovered, problems posed by off-planet habitation. Through sheer force of will. Or like monkeys on typewriters? Yeah, ok.

If you're saying people should do more folding, fine. But not much power efficiency with older systems, no?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3740
Are there easy Asian girls on Mars that I don't know about? Why the hell should anyone be deeply personally invested in Mars colonization when our Lord promised us all the fruits of the Earth?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6792|PNW

I don't think we can really expect things like Mars or Lunar cities until much later into humanity's space efforts. There's a lot of multidiscipline R&D ahead, not just in purely technological aspects, but in being able to manage a general populace off of Earth.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3740
My point is that we have everything we need to live a perfect society here on Earth. The fact that we don't live in a stronger loving world isn't the fault of lack of technology. And I don't really care to see wars, genocide, and poverty replicated in a bunch of other solar systems.

The "planetary escape hatch" argument doesn't contradict my point either. If we screwed up Earth so bad that we need to escape to another planet then do we really deserve to continue elsewhere?

I am not saying don't invest in this stuff. But it is low on the priority lists and something the vast majority of people have no stake in.

The obsession with space colonization by some people reminds me of religious people going nuts to make sure they have the best afterlife experience. Just a different group of people wanting to escape Earth to live in their imagined perfect society in the sky.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6652|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Not really, in most places stock prices are tied to price/earnings and dividend yield, not the feverish speculation about future impossibilities which seems to happen more in America than anywhere else.
Please tell me how a stock price based on future P:E or expected dividend yield is not speculative? Do you have a crystal ball that tells you the future, or are you sPeCuLaTiNg what those numbers will be?
uziq
+492|3472
the details from the FTX thing are insane. possibly even implies state corruption and collusion at the very highest levels - like why the SEC gave them a total pass on frankly insane corporate governance (or lack thereof) and illegal dealings in their operation.

it’s also pretty funny that, for all the grumbling dilbert does about the deleterious effects of oksferd graduates and the way society defers to privileged humanities toffs … here we quite literally have yet another story of the deference paid and crazy overhyping of ‘young wunderkinds’ from the MIT/stanford pipeline who get treated like autistic geniuses and showered in VC cash with zero scrutiny. dilbert wants to make this a story about bankman-fried’s surname but the simple fact is that this was a bunch of eggheads living in the bahamas running a totally fantastical ponzi scheme, using all the usual tropes about ‘maverick genius’ and ‘let the MIT guys handle it’, etc.

an awful lot of instances of these people being given magazine covers, places on stages next to world leaders, top endorsements, etc … all with zero due dilligence or scrutiny. much like the oksferd blag, these people obfuscate and self-mythologise with a different grift. ‘ohhh he’s an MIT quant! he wears goofy engineer cargo shorts everywhere and drives a toyota beater! he cites trendy tech-bro Effective Altruism philosophy! he sleeps on the floor at the office! he plays league of legend during important meetings with investors! he’s such a quirky genius!!!’ how is the disregard for decency any different with this lot?

how many millions of people have been affected by these sociopaths? this is an elizabeth holmes’ theranos-scale disaster. millions of people affected. and it doesn’t have shit to do with jews, dilbert. the repeating pattern here seems to be ‘let’s leave the geniuses alone to do what they want: not for us to question them; they’re clearly the future; so what if they fly by their own guidance?’ etc etc. it’s very funny that you advertise continually for letting society be ran by a self-elected caste of STEM philosopher-kings. because it seems they can’t regulate their own human impulses any better than an equally selfish and sociopathic classicist with their cicero quotes.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-17 15:30:20)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3740
you are just jealous you can't do meth with a bunch of 4/10 in a polycule
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/042/678/Screenshot_2022-11-15_at_4.47.28_PM.jpg
uziq
+492|3472
it’s all there in this story. the totally weird obsession that nerds have with ‘hierarchy’, kook science propping up victorian worldviews. the usual ideological armature that these nerds develop to shelter their social maladaption.

also: a 4/10? that girl is a 1.5 at best. and i award anyone with 4 intact limbs the first point as a starting deposit.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-17 15:36:35)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6705|United States of America
I don't know how old that lady is in those photos, but she looks like she's barely into double digits. Jesus.
uziq
+492|3472
lmao.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo … tx-crypto/

When FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried was a junior at MIT, he met William MacAskill, one of the founders of effective altruism, a philosophical movement that believes rationality is key to doing maximum good in the world.
remind you of anyone? ‘let us geniuses handle things, the mass of humanity are too stupid for their own good’.

For more than a decade, the EA community, as it’s known, has attracted bright young students from elite colleges like Oxford and Stanford, encouraging them to take lucrative jobs in finance and tech so they can amass wealth and donate it to efficient charities. EA’s emphasis on measurable impact has attracted billionaire tech philanthropists like Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz, who helped finance a tightknit web of nonprofits and academic institutes to grow the movement even as its priorities shifted from helping the world’s poor to combating more theoretical risks, such as the rise of a hostile advanced artificial intelligence.
Bankman-Fried made an ideal recruit for MacAskill’s “earning-to-give” pitch. Bankman-Fried had been raised as a utilitarian — a doctrine holding that the most ethical choice is the one that does the most good for the most people — and was already interested in protesting factory farming.

During Bankman-Fried’s ascent, media portrayals invariably noted that the crypto wunderkind drove a Toyota Corolla and planned to give his billions away, even as he courted celebrities and Washington power brokers. Indeed, his proximity to EA’s brand of self-sacrificing overthinkers often helped deflect the kind of scrutiny that might otherwise greet an executive who got rich quick in an unregulated offshore industry.
deference to billionaires. let the super rich who are evidently very, very smart and so very successful, do what they want: it’s for the good of humanity! how else will colonies on mars and great engineering breakthroughs be delivered? the rhetoric of “self-sacrificing overthinkers”: where have we heard that before? i bet dilbert and bankman-fried could sit and have a conversation about factory farming and their noble commitments to not eating meat!

the whole movement sounds priceless to be honest. intellectually vapid nonsense. relying on ‘rationality’ and jules verne/h.g. wells sci-fi futurism isn’t any better than being interested in classical ideals and dusty roman poets.

Its underlying philosophy marries 18th-century utilitarianism with the more modern argument that people in rich nations should donate disposable income to help the global poor. But there’s also a big emphasis on math, borrowing from economics and decision theory to prioritize causes and measure potential improvements in quality of life.

From the beginning, however, the do-gooder group in Oxford was tied to a similar subculture in the Bay Area. The leading intellectuals of that world, like AI theorist Eliezer Yudkowsky, wrote for an online forum called Less Wrong, which, like effective altruism, also attracted a community of young people …
uh oh. silicon valley. people talking about AI and the future of mankind. what’s that vibration i feel in the ground … a name on the wind … ?

But things began to heat up around 2015 when Elon Musk donated $10 million to the Future of Life Institute to fund an AI safety research program. Bill Gates called the program “absolutely fantastic” and said he shared Musk’s concerns about AI.
of course musk and gates were involved at somme point in this lame TED talk geek worldview. the nerd philosopher-kings themselves.

so it’s basically a cult of eggheads with a quick line to VC cash in silicon valley, who all cite whacky books about colonising space and mastering the universe with science and AI. great stuff. we should give these guys a shot at running society, with their melange of half-baked pseudo-science and 19th century utilitarianism.

Musk has called AI an “existential risk,” citing “Superintelligence,” the best-selling book by Bostrom. But there’s an asterisk on “existential”: Bostrom lays out a long-term vision for a techno-utopia, millions or billions of years in the future, where we colonize space and harness the power of the stars to upload our consciousness, evolving into some kind of “digital people.”
oh man, lmfao. i just love that these crypto frauds pulled this all off because they were presenting themselves as enlightened beings, doing all this shit for some sort of longtermist ‘charity’. speaking of which, don’t we have a long-time regular here who makes so much of their charity and how everything they do is actually for the betterment of humanity??

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-17 16:06:23)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3740
She probably has HPV too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard