Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5191|Sydney
I remember 2.5 hours classes being an absolute fucking drag, and so did most my peers. Unless you're really into the subject a 6 hour class is the one I would wag the most.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5371|London, England
Yeah, really, it's definitely one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

I don't think it's a cover-all solution. There's only so much you can do in a day with basic courses, but there are plenty of subjects an immersion day would be useful for, even if some of them were split into half-days. AP sciences come to mind.

source: component level electronics theory/engineering and computer networking classes from microsoft to cisco
Jaekus
+957|5191|Sydney
With the amount of research done into things like attention spans and the average ability to absorb and apply information, I'm sure if it were a good idea compared to watch is conventional it would've been implemented by now.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

Jaekus wrote:

With the amount of research done into things like attention spans and the average ability to absorb and apply information, I'm sure if it were a good idea compared to watch is conventional it would've been implemented by now.
You're saying...that everything that's a good idea has already been long since implemented by public school?

ha.

hahaha.

AH HAHAHA-eh.
Jaekus
+957|5191|Sydney
Reading into things too much again? Seems a bad habit you have there.

There's also the consideration that taking a 6 hour block of one class a week is not as beneficial as taking it spread out numerous times over the week. From personal and nine years music teaching experience, if a student were to practice once a week or spread out the same time over the course of a week their ability to retain and improve upon skills and knowledge is in every case better.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

Jaekus wrote:

There's also the consideration that taking a 6 hour block of one class a week is not as beneficial as taking it spread out numerous times over the week. From personal and nine years music teaching experience, if a student were to practice once a week or spread out the same time over the course of a week their ability to retain and improve upon skills and knowledge is in every case better.
Reading too much into what? I'm juggling two threads of people who are jumping to conclusions. I certainly have the right to do the same if that's how you see it.

The most beneficial way would be to take a session that long (with the associated breaks and shit) five days a week. But with academic focus, that simply isn't viable. I've helped people with subjects they were struggling with on weekends. Being patient, poking around for ways they learn best, taking a break if they start to look distracted did more for their long term memory on a subject than the fifteen-to-thirty minutes per day they actually settled down to pay attention to it in class.

I'm not a professional teacher, but I've got practical experience under my belt.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I like the 45 minutes of lecture followed by 45 minutes of class work approach expressed by Cybargs. Seems efficient to me and a good way to manage attention spans. It's effectively a study hall at the end of every class.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5191|Sydney

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Reading too much into what? I'm juggling two threads of people who are jumping to conclusions. I certainly have the right to do the same if that's how you see it.

The most beneficial way would be to take a session that long (with the associated breaks and shit) five days a week. But with academic focus, that simply isn't viable. I've helped people with subjects they were struggling with on weekends. Being patient, poking around for ways they learn best, taking a break if they start to look distracted did more for their long term memory on a subject than the fifteen-to-thirty minutes per day they actually settled down to pay attention to it in class.

I'm not a professional teacher, but I've got practical experience under my belt.
You're implying you're having difficulty "juggling" two threads when the posting has been going for around half an hour, yet a classroom of 30 teenagers is somehow meant to focus on a topic they may not like for six hours and stay well behaved? That's idealistic in the extreme.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

You're implying
Jaekus
+957|5191|Sydney
Nice dodge.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

Look at us, attacking one another for the same reason. I think we could get along well.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6012|...
it creates jobs I guess

my lectures / workshops are 1hr45 mins each with a 10-15 min break.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-12-03 14:13:26)

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5191|Sydney
Back on topic:

a classroom of 30 teenagers is somehow meant to focus on a topic they may not like for six hours and stay well behaved? That's idealistic in the extreme.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5598

Such a waste of money. This is what the teachers are going to be doing with their extra time and pay
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6784|PNW

Jaekus wrote:

Back on topic:

a classroom of 30 teenagers is somehow meant to focus on a topic they may not like for six hours and stay well behaved? That's idealistic in the extreme.
But it's not sitting in one spot for six hours. There would be 5-15 minute breaks, lunch, shifts in gear from lecture mode to classwork mode and/or lab mode. It's also meant for things like high school, not elementary.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5598

Messing with school hours won't improve our international test score ranking. The school format we have is fine. No need to change a thing.

We have never done well on the international test we all wringe our hands over. We came in last the first time we did the test back in the 60's. We have actually improved in ranking placement.

The problem with our schools is the amount of poverty we have. 25% of American children live in poverty. That is more than any county in Europe. The poor bring the scores down. On a dollar to dollar ranking our students out perform most of Europe. People who show up wanting to learn AND have the support network do fine enough to compete internationally.

If you want to improve our country's education system work To stop poverty
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
That's nice, now explain to the class how the government can, in any way shape or form, pull people out of poverty. Hint: it can't.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5598

It pulled you out didn't it. Unless Pell stopped being a government program.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5609|Vacationland

Jay wrote:

That's nice, now explain to the class how the government can, in any way shape or form, pull people out of poverty. Hint: it can't.
You can reduce poverty, probably can't eliminate it, but you can certainly reduce it.  Most government transfer payments do that to some extent.  If we didn't have unemployment benefits or social security, I think most people would agree more people would be in poverty.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Narupug wrote:

Jay wrote:

You can reduce poverty, probably can't eliminate it, but you can certainly reduce it.  Most government transfer payments do that to some extent.  If we didn't have unemployment benefits or social security, I think most people would agree more people would be in poverty.
Nope. Government transfers actually increase poverty.

Say you have a spread of ten workers making different wages from 1 to 10 coins per hour. The people at the very bottom, their life sucks. They barely make enough money to pay their rent and they more than likely have to work multiple jobs just to get by. The people above them making 2 coins per hour have life slightly better. Life is still hard but they're making twice what the people on the bottom do per hour so perhaps they only have to work one job to scrape by. Well, some do-gooder comes along, completely disconnected from reality but sensing an injustice, and they decide to set the poverty line at anything income below 2 coins per hour. They raise the minimum wage to 2 coins per hour and shower those below with money in order to alleviate their suffering. Awesome, right? Well, now that you've dumped a bunch of new money into the hands of people that were formerly working their ass off, they spend it. This in turn causes prices to rise, rent to rise etc. Merchants realize they can charge more money now for products than they used to because there is more money available. Your poverty line now has to move because not only are the people who formerly made only 1 coin per hour poor and suffering again, you've added the guy that was making 2 coins per hour to the rolls of the poor. The cycle repeats when you move the bar up to 3 coins per hour. Wealth transfers do nothing but cause inflation. They don't make peoples lives better.

And yes, that goes for PELL grants too. They're the primary driver in the skyrocketing cost of college educations today. Every time the government raises the subsidy, colleges raise their tuition.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729

Macbeth wrote:

The problem with our schools is the amount of poverty we have. 25% of American children live in poverty.
1 in 8 Australians live in poverty too. Yet it's the second best place to be born in the world. You see the issue with those numbers?

How is it that dirt poor vietnamese, chinese, indian, bangladeshi and other immigrants can do MUCH better than everyone else despite being in the same social class? It's the value of education their parents hold. You change parenting attitude towards education, you'll see higher test scores.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6745|St. Andrews / Oslo

Jay, does it ever sadden you that you never received your Chicago Boyz club hoodie? Christ, even those guys don't deny government's role in reducing poverty nowadays...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jenspm wrote:

Jay, does it ever sadden you that you never received your Chicago Boyz club hoodie? Christ, even those guys don't deny government's role in reducing poverty nowadays...
Really? The only thing that pulls people out of poverty is having a job. Government assistance can never do anything more than alleviate the most acute symptoms of poverty, and at an ever increasing cost. It's why the Eurozone if failing right now. You reach the point where higher taxes don't bring in enough revenue to offset the built in system inflation and then you have to borrow heavily. I pointed out in the chat thread that it would require a tripling of current income tax rates to balance the budget right now, and that budget increases every year as more and more people get enrolled in programs like food stamps, more old people retire, etc. Hell, look at the country you live in. The NHS by itself had the countries budget on the ropes before the recession. The bank bailouts just sped up the process.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5598

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

The problem with our schools is the amount of poverty we have. 25% of American children live in poverty.
1 in 8 Australians live in poverty too. Yet it's the second best place to be born in the world. You see the issue with those numbers?

How is it that dirt poor vietnamese, chinese, indian, bangladeshi and other immigrants can do MUCH better than everyone else despite being in the same social class? It's the value of education their parents hold. You change parenting attitude towards education, you'll see higher test scores.
I do not understand the point of this post.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_poverty
???

Yellow power or something?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard