unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6785|PNW

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Jay wrote:

Shouldn't average be a 5?
depends what average you use.
Most films aren't tripe, so the modal average would be closer to a 7, but the medium average would be 5.
This. It's been argued about in this thread before. Mathematical averages aren't really used for rating films, or for something like a grading scale. If they were, a "C" would be a 50% score.

Also, OP:

blademaster wrote:

Rate the last three movies you seen

provide the name of the movie

and provide the rating for each one:

10--> outstanding
8-9 -->very good
6-7 -->average (meh its k)
4-5 -->below Average
0-3 -->piece of shit
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5372|London, England
That's retarded.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6752|Toronto | Canada

we also dont see a huge percentage of the 1-5 range for movies since theyre direct to dvd/garbage bin.  who saw home alone 4? is planning to see 5?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6785|PNW

Jay wrote:

That's retarded.
Sorry Jay, but the average movie most people see is above average.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6723|Oklahoma City
As I have said about 20 times in this thread... If I am willing to sit and watch it, I already have some interest in it. If I have some interest in it, it already has something about it that would most likely make it above average, or I wouldn't bother. If you totally randomized your movie watching, then yes, the average would probably be about a 5... But who does that? I usually decide what to watch... I don't usually click a randomization button and watch whatever it tells me to watch for the next 2ish hours.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6723|Oklahoma City
The Watch: 4/10
Really excited to see this one. Debated on turning it off to go do something else several times. Just never really got funny. Love Richard Ayoade from I.T. Crowd... But he just wasn't really utilized in this...

Expendables 2: 6/10
Not nearly as good as the first one. If you cut Chuck Norris out, it would have been a 5 at best. He was barely in it and still stole the movie. JCVD was awful and nearly ruined the movie... Even his fight scenes were lame. He never seemed like a threatening bad guy at all. He refused a role in the first one... Wish he had refused a role in the second one too. And what is up with mini-Thor? What about the new Lucy Liu? Could sly not have fallen for a chick his own age? I thought these movies were about the old guys. Why bring in fresh blood? Get it on with Linda Hamilton, Lucy Lawless, Michelle Yeoh, or Lucy Liu... Some other past their prime used to be an action star. Blah. Blah I say to the whole non-Chuck movie.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5372|London, England
Someone Sly's age is in a nursing home or starring in drug commercials
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6785|PNW

Expendables 2: wat/10

Too many things left unexplained. The fuck is up with the Satanist thing? Too many characters ignored or forgotten about and hardly ever showed again once introduced. What happened to Jet Li?

HITNRUNXX wrote:

As I have said about 20 times in this thread... If I am willing to sit and watch it, I already have some interest in it. If I have some interest in it, it already has something about it that would most likely make it above average, or I wouldn't bother. If you totally randomized your movie watching, then yes, the average would probably be about a 5... But who does that? I usually decide what to watch... I don't usually click a randomization button and watch whatever it tells me to watch for the next 2ish hours.
Even if you randomized from a pool of every movie ever made that's reasonably easy to find and buy...chances are you'll see something that rates 6 or above unless you're a pretentious freak that isn't pleased by anything.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6695|Disaster Free Zone
The living daylights - 8
Goldeneye - 9

Fuck its refreshing to watch some decent Bonds after the tripe they've been releasing for the past decade.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Even if you randomized from a pool of every movie ever made that's reasonably easy to find and buy...chances are you'll see something that rates 6 or above unless you're a pretentious freak that isn't pleased by anything.
It's not about being 'pleased' it's a ranking system. Is it better or worse then X other movies. If you think all movies lie between 5-10 then why the fuck even have 0-4?

I can enjoy a movie and rate it 3 or 4, it just means there are many other movies I enjoyed or appreciate more.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
So now it's comparing rather than rating?
I'd be quite happy to never have to watch a 0-5 film. Base most of my viewings on recommendations, so most of them do fall between 5-10.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
Total Recall (2012) - 7/10
Decent action flick with the psychological twist thing going on. Haven't seen the original.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

PrivateVendetta wrote:

So now it's comparing rather than rating?
I'd be quite happy to never have to watch a 0-5 film. Base most of my viewings on recommendations, so most of them do fall between 5-10.
When its' completely based on opinion, what else do you have to go on?

I don't let other people influence what I watch, I make that decision for my self. What other people like or recommend has nothing to do with what I like.

Good examples are the latest Bond films which have been raved about by critics, friends and forum members alike but in reality (imo) they belong in the discount bin next to the likes of Fast and furious 5, die hard 4 and expendables 2. All enjoyable to a point but all terrible movies when it comes down to it, especially when compared to what else is out there.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4856|Amsterdam
Cabin Fever makes my crotch feel uncomfortable

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-12-03 11:41:31)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5192|Sydney

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Total Recall (2012) - 7/10
Decent action flick with the psychological twist thing going on. Haven't seen the original.
I heard a review (the reviewer of course has seen the original) who gave it 1/5, based on seeing the original which he would give around the 4/5 mark.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6205|Roma
Might have to watch it at some point, when i've forgotten a bit more of the story.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6785|PNW

DrunkFace wrote:

It's not about being 'pleased' it's a ranking system. Is it better or worse then X other movies. If you think all movies lie between 5-10 then why the fuck even have 0-4?

I can enjoy a movie and rate it 3 or 4, it just means there are many other movies I enjoyed or appreciate more.
This thread's really been through this more times than I care to count. Instead of focusing on the "averages" terminology, focus on the percentage. The OP lists 60-70% as average. 80%-90% as above average to very good. 100% as the nearly unattainable perfect. 40%-50% is listed as below average with anything below that being various shades of fail.

So when I review a movie using a scale like this, I think about how much it got right as well as how much it got wrong, and what out of either deserve to add or subtract from its "test score." This is how many reviews seem to work,  and as it turns out, I feel the majority of the movies I've seen get at least enough right to merit a 7/10. Would it surprise you to learn that I've given movies ratings other than 'wat' or '7?'

Prometheus - 5 (now that I've cooled off)...right: had some neat stuff, characters were almost interesting; wrong: didn't explain any of it, no sympathetic characters means no sympathetic deaths
I half-enjoyed this movie.

Birdemic - 3...right: attack of the birds; wrong: for less than no reason, and against uninteresting characters
There is a splinter of enjoyment for me in this movie, but mostly because I'm into cheesy films. Too bad it was bad in spite of it.

Haeckael's Tale - 1...right: zombies; wrong: just...wat
This could stand for maybe one minute of enjoyment until...wat.

And finally...

Willow - analytically, 6.5/10. nostalgically, 8/10...right: cool fights, cool music, cheesy one-liners, force lightning, uzique hates it; wrong: uzique doesn't hate it enough
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6487|6 6 4 oh, I forget

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Prometheus - 5 (now that I've cooled off)...right: had some neat stuff, characters were almost interesting; wrong: didn't explain any of it, no sympathetic characters means no sympathetic deaths
After watching it for the second time, I kinda liked it more than after the first time around. This time it felt like a intro, kinda like the Matrix did. Hopefully the sequel will be made. Space horror always appeals to me.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6166|what

Ultrafunkula wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

After watching it for the second time, I kinda liked it more than after the first time around. This time it felt like a intro, kinda like the Matrix did. Hopefully the sequel will be made. Space horror always appeals to me.
You should watch Event Horizon, then Pandorum.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ultrafunkula

AussieReaper wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Event Horizon I liked plenty. Pandorum? How is it?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

Hmm, I should watch Event Horizon again. Been a while since I've seen it all the way through.

As for another Fishburne film

Contagion 8/10

Scary shiz
Ultrafunkula

M.O.A.B wrote:

Hmm, I should watch Event Horizon again. Been a while since I've seen it all the way through.

As for another Fishburne film

Contagion 8/10

Scary shiz
Contagion was a bit dull. It felt like it never started.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

I'd agree it lacked a certain something. More realistic in the portrayals I suppose, but I'd place Outbreak as a more entertaining film for this type of movie.

I still enjoyed it though.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6166|what

Ultrafunkula wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Event Horizon I liked plenty. Pandorum? How is it?
Quite good, has a Dead Space feel to it.

Just go into the movie knowing it's not made by a huge movie studio and you'll come out thinking it was very good. It could have done with a larger budget and more set design, etc but had a decent plot, suspense, etc
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6120|eXtreme to the maX
Possibly the laast good film Constantin did, what happened?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard