Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England
Anyway, I'm not denying cultural weighting when it comes to success in life. There's a reason that Jews and Asians do so well in school and it has almost nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with cultures that emphasize homework and learning. How many hours a week do 'white kids' waste on tee-ball or soccer or football? Sitting in front of a tv? There does need to be time for fun, but I think American culture on the whole has become unhealthily focused on entertainment to the exclusion of all else.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

I don't see why flight distance is a valid variable. You could move to the next town over and live a completely self-contained life separate from the parent structure .
Because moving back into your parents basement in the next town if you fail is the same as an 18 hour flight.
In my opinion, the person with the 18 hour flight is more likely to fail because they homesickness can make people do crazy shit. Yeah, the flight is expensive, and so is the cost in shame, but the 'give up' option in this case is largely irrevocable..
That's my point, in reply to Macbeth's "Wat" remark.

It's takes some "rugged individual" to even consider finding fortunes in a completely different culture/society.  All the filipinas who come to the States to work as nannies, maids and nurses.  That f*cking takes courage.  How many women do you know would go alone and work in the Middle East or Asia?  No, english teacher in Japan doesn't count.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

That's not individualism..
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Jay wrote:

Anyway, I'm not denying cultural weighting when it comes to success in life. There's a reason that Jews and Asians do so well in school and it has almost nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with cultures that emphasize homework and learning. How many hours a week do 'white kids' waste on tee-ball or soccer or football? Sitting in front of a tv? There does need to be time for fun, but I think American culture on the whole has become unhealthily focused on entertainment to the exclusion of all else.
Not being racist, but...

At my boys' Kumon, this one Mexican mom pulled her daughter out of catholic private school because she was getting assigned too much homework.  She was saying this in front of us (Asian family), and a couple of Indian (Asian) families.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England
Hmm.... my two pence.

The UK didn't really have a "doctors, scientists or engineers" policy. The Asians (of all types) are maybe abit above average iirc (but you have to further break it down really) but I wouldn't say it's anything special compared to regular white folk.

I think in the US it seems much more pronounced ....so yes I think it's a mixture of immigration policy and cultural values. But not that much.

At the end of the day, the Western world from about the Renaissance onwards went light years ahead of China and India and the rest of the world and is still there. Don't knock Western culture that much and keep saying how superior Chinese and Indian culture is, considering how miserably they failed for such long periods of time and are only now beginning to 'recover'.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Macbeth wrote:

Let's see you go somewhere else where practically your only resource is yourself.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Mekstizzle wrote:

Don't knock Western culture that much and keep saying how superior Chinese and Indian culture is, considering how miserably they failed for such long periods of time and are only now beginning to 'recover'.
Recover.  The fact that you are noticing them now.  After general economic prospeerity of the populous, innovation will become more prevalent.   When their general populous transitions from needs to wants.  When situation allows time to think and create.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Let's see you go somewhere else where practically your only resource is yourself.
Moving somewhere for work isn't an expression of individualism. A drone is a drone no matter what hive it is a member. Do I have to play one of those quote games where I show you what you wrote before and then definitions of individualism?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Ilocano wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Don't knock Western culture that much and keep saying how superior Chinese and Indian culture is, considering how miserably they failed for such long periods of time and are only now beginning to 'recover'.
Recover.  The fact that you are noticing them now.  After general economic prospeerity of the populous, innovation will become more prevalent.   When their general populous transitions from needs to wants.  When situation allows time to think and create.

Uzique wrote:

ilo do you have yellow fever or something you keep talking about asians in every thread as if they're some 21st century aryan master race

asian students over here are classless mongs with vulgar taste
Free Uzi
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Macbeth wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Moving somewhere for work isn't an expression of individualism. A drone is a drone no matter what hive it is a member. Do I have to play one of those quote games where I show you what you wrote before and then definitions of individualism?
There are various definitions.
I'm referring to the self-reliance part.  As his group responsibility, the group provider, in venturing out on his own, practices self-reliance.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

Macbeth wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Uzique wrote:

ilo do you have yellow fever or something you keep talking about asians in every thread as if they're some 21st century aryan master race

Free Uzi
That's his opinion based on his societal standards.  Just watch your typical Korean or Japanese game show, or Indian Bollywood movie.

Look up Boar's Head Feast.  And diet of crow and rats?  Yay, a boar's head centerpiece for Christmas dinner.  Lovely!!!...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England
Boar's Head is a deli meat brand here
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Free Uzi
Uzi was a prick.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Turquoise wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Free Uzi
Uzi was a prick.
That is beside the point.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

I liked everything but DiffEQ. Fuck DiffEQ.
Ordinary DiffEQs were fine for me.

Partial DiffEQs, on the other hand...

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11036/pdeproof.png

It was about here where I simply stopped paying attention entirely. So, so abstract and dull.

===

On the whole "Asian style of teaching and parenthood", having personally experienced it or at least had the experience of my parents' attempting it, can safely say that I won't be trying to emulate them when it comes to teach my kids. Despised its rigidity, overly controlled and sanitized nature of the entire outlook.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

I liked everything but DiffEQ. Fuck DiffEQ.
Ordinary DiffEQs were fine for me.

Partial DiffEQs, on the other hand...

It was about here where I simply stopped paying attention entirely. So, so abstract and dull.

===

On the whole "Asian style of teaching and parenthood", having personally experienced it or at least had the experience of my parents' attempting it, can safely say that I won't be trying to emulate them when it comes to teach my kids. Despised its rigidity, overly controlled and sanitized nature of the entire outlook.
I used to know that stuff, very useful for modelling dynamic systems.

Asians are good at academic stuff, terrible at application and problem solving.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS
That's where the whole rigidity aspect of that philosophy comes into play. Outside of a little box...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
I'll never forget the kid who got 4 A* in maths and the sciences but couldn't work out the total power load on a multiplug socket.
"Do I add the volts, or the amps, or both?"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6517|so randum

Mekstizzle wrote:

Hmm.... my two pence.

The UK didn't really have a "doctors, scientists or engineers" policy. The Asians (of all types) are maybe abit above average iirc (but you have to further break it down really) but I wouldn't say it's anything special compared to regular white folk.

I think in the US it seems much more pronounced ....so yes I think it's a mixture of immigration policy and cultural values. But not that much.

At the end of the day, the Western world from about the Renaissance onwards went light years ahead of China and India and the rest of the world and is still there. Don't knock Western culture that much and keep saying how superior Chinese and Indian culture is, considering how miserably they failed for such long periods of time and are only now beginning to 'recover'.
we sort of do mek, people wanting to be teachers get (quite significant) bonus's to qualify as maths/science/language
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

During gradeschool, the parents of my Indian and Asian friends were harder on their kids than those of whites/blacks when it came to school, but not nearly at the stereotypical level you hear about. Just my two cents.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733
You see the extremes of the spectrum, white parents not giving a fuck and asian parents being way too hard on their kids. Sure its nice if your kids are getting good grades, but I would rather them being able to socialize with people and enjoying their life with above average grades
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard