Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6127|eXtreme to the maX
Who says metres?

The difference in eyestrain between 500mm and 750mm is enormous, for CAD users its important, for gamers typical =/= good.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6706|West Yorkshire, U.K
Built a complete rig for my friend including screen, I've seen this one for myself and its awesome. 26" is too big for normal use in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 … ss_product
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

tazz. wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I just drop the resolution to 1440x900 for games if they're struggling.
I could never do that. The pixelation would shit me to tears.

CapnNismo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

not completely necessary? you really drop the resolution of your games on an LED or LCD panel monitor? they're only meant to run at their native resolution... playing games on a lower-resolution would make it look even shitter than if you were playing on low-settings with no AA. i honestly don't see the appeal of these huge 24-26" screens - for console gaming, fair enough, you're 5 metres back. for a pc, though, you're literally a foot or two away from it... all day. why do you need so much space? i struggle to believe that it really gives you any benefit/advantage when pc gaming. of course, if you don't mind having to upgrade your GPU every year or two because you genuinely value having a big screen THAT much... then fine. it's your money, spend it as you wish. but i just don't see much value or necessity.
Agreed. In gaming it makes little sense but in other applications it's an excellent solution for when you really need the screen real estate.
So far, I haven't found it necessary.

When I'm sitting with my face pressed against the screen, I generally prefer a high resolution, and the 26" span is bloody marvelous for typing and surfing. For gaming, I tend to give myself a good 3-4 feet, in which case I can barely tell the difference. I know running full res will give me nearly twice the amount of pixels, but I've compared it side-by-side with a 21" at 1920x1080. Call it subjective, but I prefer the larger screen.

Do allow for the fact that I'm currently not running anything higher than a 9600M GT or a 9800GT. My priorities are usually cramming in as many effects as I reasonably can, then going with the highest 16:10 resolution I can achieve before the game bogs down. Normally, I'm too focused on the game itself to worry about if I can very slightly make out a pixel somewhere in a chain link fence.

I didn't spend no "1000 pounds" on my LCD, either.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
well, to me as a casual desktop-worker and a gamer... £200 for a good quality 22" is far better value than £500 for a good quality 26" and the necessary £400-500 GPU set-up... my final $0.02. obviously your own budget and uses determines what you want.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Valid. I also bought my 26-inch Asus for less than you'd think, which even then only cost slightly more than a smaller equivalent. With it came a juicy selection of inputs, decent (for a monitor) speakers that I've mostly left off and, to this date, zero dead pixels or any other odd glitch through its heavy use.

Using the same specs, resolutions and other graphics settings, jumping from one monitor size to another hasn't had any visible impact on my games' performance. If it feels like your 'cursor' is moving too slowly across a large screen, increase mouse speed.

I'll finish by saying that practice is going to do a gamer far more good than specs alone. When choosing screen size, go with what you're comfortable with (take a look at some sizes in-person before buying). Just sit far back enough from your screen to where you can see it in its entirety without scanning around the surface, and you're good to go.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
i just don't know why you'd gimp your enjoyment of games by extending your screen resolution several hundred pixels more than you really (reasonably) need. as i said... 16xAA > no AA at all and more inches of jaggy, hurt-eye awfulness.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6777|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

well, to me as a casual desktop-worker and a gamer... £200 for a good quality 22" is far better value than £500 for a good quality 26" and the necessary £400-500 GPU set-up... my final $0.02. obviously your own budget and uses determines what you want.
We're talking different quality here though remember. When I mentioned IPS, that is by no means something you want to look into if you're a gamer. You can get a great gaming 27" monitor for under £300.

An IPS panel shouldn't be what a gamer looks for in a screen, especially as response times with IPS will naturally be higher than a TN. IPS is for colour accuracy and image detail, with great viewing angles, but it has a poor response time in comparison with TN Film.

I've been using the wrong terminology - There are 3 types of panel:
VA - Vertical Alignment
TN Film - Twistec Nematic
IPS - In plane switching

TN Film being the absolute worst out of these 3, and by quite some shot. VA (which you will have seen on Samsung panels as PVA) is just under the quality of IPS (which can be S-IPS (super), H-IPS (horizontal), etc).

If Camm wants the best of both worlds, he wants to get a PVA panel... but they're actually not very easy to find nowadays, as monitor companies are churning out the shitty TN Film panels.

I advise something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PW6N1Q/r … B002PW6N1Q

That is definitely a great purchase for a PVA monitor.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Because using a large monitor isn't gimping me at all. Changing monitor sizes for resolution x isn't really making a lick of difference. With a small monitor, I sit close. With a large monitor, I sit close for typing, and generally sit back a bit for gaming. For gaming, both the small and large monitors fill the same area of my vision. The large monitor allows me more freedom of movement, either sitting at the desk or a few feet away from it, or at the desk with the monitor pushed a few feet away. I barely pay more for the extra few inches and see no disadvantage in doing so.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4989|Dundee, Scotland.

Zimmer wrote:

If Camm wants the best of both worlds, he wants to get a PVA panel... but they're actually not very easy to find nowadays, as monitor companies are churning out the shitty TN Film panels.

I advise something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PW6N1Q/r … B002PW6N1Q

That is definitely a great purchase for a PVA monitor.
Thanks for the suggestion bro, but that's a bit more than I want to spend
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Usually helps if you specify a budget in the OP.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6814|Jupiter
Wait for a good deal online, newegg had a 22 inch Asus monitor for 130 last week, (original price of 270, total savings of 140!)
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6519

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Usually helps if you specify a budget in the OP.
He,s Scottish. The budget it always "cheap"
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6674
going from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 doesn't require a £500 gpu upgrade, lol.

love my 26" monitor, saves me from having to buy a TV too
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6760|Toronto | Canada

i run a 27" 2560x1440 monitor with a 4 or 5 year old computer, including a 8800GTS 320MB and it runs any game I throw at it.  I can play the witcher 2 on medium specs and dragon age 2 on high.  i dunno where youre getting the idea that you have to spend $800-900 on graphics cards yearly...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6127|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

Side by side I can barely see the difference between 22 and 24.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5771|شمال
am looking for a used 30"
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard