lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I agree that this scenario does make getting their fix much easier, but if the crime angle isn't persuasive, consider this: in an environment where drugs are legal and easily available, how do you think general drug use would be affected?

If we use Portugal as an example of this, their drug-related crime went down, but their rehab rates went considerably up.  This seems to imply that drug usage increased.

So, in a society where more people are getting hooked, don't you think that it's collectively more expensive for families to shoulder the burden of rehabbing a relative than it is to have a functional rehab system?  Societal costs can manifest in several ways -- not just through taxation.

Addict rehabilitation is a burden on society that affects more than just the addicts themselves, regardless of whether you have a comprehensive rehab system or not.  The costs it incurs are generally going to be more expensive to society overall if they are handled on a family basis than if they were handled by a government-provided system.
You may be right butI will stand on principal on this one. I will not send a message that it is ok to fuck yourself, without the clear message that you do so on your own accord and you will be solely responsible for the outcome of your decisions. The only other way I could concede is by heavily taxing the ever loving shit out of drug sales, and that money AND ONLY that money be used for rehab. If rehab goes in the red, tax even heavier for the drugs. No way no how does normal taxes get used for drug rehab
To a degree, the taxes on alcohol go toward rehabilitation efforts.  There is unfortunately not much transparency in where the funds actually go, and so funding rehabilitation through taxing substances that cause addiction would need to be much more transparent in a society where all drugs are legal.

I understand where you are coming from, but the only part I take issue with is the statement that addicts should be "solely responsible for the outcome of their decisions."  In reality, that only happens part of the time.  A lot of the time, families have to take that responsibility.

The more you dig into sociological issues, the more you realize that the lines between individual responsibility and societal responsibility are blurred and murky.  Families often shoulder many burdens that, in principle, should be individual responsibilities.

This is why I don't take an idealistic approach to responsibility.  Life is far too complicated to boil down to individual responsibilities.
Don't give a shit if families are saddled with their kids drug habits. Maybe they should have raised them better. As long as the general public is not saddled with the consequences of some dumb fucks decisions.

I disagree, it is personal responsibility for ones self, coupled with others tending to their own responsibilities, that make up a civil society. It is those that are irresponsible that fuck it up for the rest of us. This is where people like you want to feel sorry for them, and victimize them or people like me who say fuck them, they knew the rules going in and chose not to follow them leave them behind. I feel this way because you are right, life is hard enough for those that choose a path of personal discipline and responsibility, WITHOUT having to shoulders someone else's dead weight. Energy and resource that I work for to provide to my kids should not be tapped into for some some drug addicted that made the conscience decision to do drugs and get hooked.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Don't give a shit if families are saddled with their kids drug habits. Maybe they should have raised them better. As long as the general public is not saddled with the consequences of some dumb fucks decisions.

I disagree, it is personal responsibility for ones self, coupled with others tending to their own responsibilities, that make up a civil society. It is those that are irresponsible that fuck it up for the rest of us. This is where people like you want to feel sorry for them, and victimize them or people like me who say fuck them, they knew the rules going in and chose not to follow them leave them behind. I feel this way because you are right, life is hard enough for those that choose a path of personal discipline and responsibility, WITHOUT having to shoulders someone else's dead weight. Energy and resource that I work for to provide to my kids should not be tapped into for some some drug addicted that made the conscience decision to do drugs and get hooked.
Well, it's not just children getting addicted -- sometimes, it's the parents or parent.  Sometimes, children actually have to be the more responsible individuals in a family.

How a civil society is defined is dependent on your perspective.  A lot of our peers would suggest that civil society is best defined by how the least fortunate are treated.  Others suggest it is how the average person is.

What you are describing seems to apply more to freedom in society.  Your approach is surely freer than many, but it has its own consequences for society overall -- not just those who get addicted.

Personally, I prefer a little more stability over that approach.

Last edited by Turquoise (2011-01-20 13:21:50)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6371

Poseidon wrote:

Everyone involved in that raid needs to be punished. That is absolutely one of the worst uses of deadly force I've ever seen officers in the US use.
This comes in Third ~

It did seem almost like a deliberate execution. Maybe they should look into that angle, Did he possibly have something on the Police* ? It appeared  excessive, unwarranted and almost Monty Python-esc. " POP POP POP - Get down " I almost laughed.

Did they have reason to believe he would be armed ? Has he used violence in the past ? That would greatly color my decision. I would not be dumb enough to try and call someone at fault and call for punishment after only watching 40 seconds of Video.

* ( Larry Davis - Labeled " Crack Head " by a compliant Media comes to mind. Only a few years later did the " Buddy Boys " come to light. Anyone else from NYC remember that ?)
PS. Sadly, some will not be able to read the text above.

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-20 15:23:10)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6371

Turquoise wrote:

Imagine how different our society would be if, instead of pursuing drug users with this level of ferocity, we did this against corporate criminals like Madoff.
at the very least they should all go to the same jail. I give you that much.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Well, it's not just children getting addicted -- sometimes, it's the parents or parent.  Sometimes, children actually have to be the more responsible individuals in a family.

How a civil society is defined is dependent on your perspective.  A lot of our peers would suggest that civil society is best defined by how the least fortunate are treated.  Others suggest it is how the average person is.

What you are describing seems to apply more to freedom in society.  Your approach is surely freer than many, but it has its own consequences for society overall -- not just those who get addicted.

Personally, I prefer a little more stability over that approach.
you are right it is all in the perspective of the individual. I tend to think that society wold be far worse off as a whole if you relieve individuals of their responsibilities to themselves, their families or society. A message that says that "there are no consequences for your actions and no matter how bad you purposely went out of your way to fuck up , we will be there with a check in hand to cover it for you", can not be the message that sustains a stable society. I would rather send a message so scary that it will deter drug abuse even if it is legal. A message that says, "go ahead and fuck up, you alone will pay the consequences for it, and do not expect anyone to be there in the end", suits me just fine.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6712|NJ
Turq the reason the rehab goes up in a legal setting is because people feel comfortable getting help instead of back against the wall. The only main problem with Drugs is the crime not the abuse of it.

Now this is just a disgusting video and it shows a "legal" execution. We've had the defending your home conversation before, which it seemed like this guy was doing. It was door smashed, he jumps out with a weapon to probably protect himself, then shot and finally "it's the police get on the floor". Also no warrant on hand, means it was an illegal raid. The police should get a manslaughter charge if not a murder charge, we have to hold the police to higher standards.

What if that was the wrong house? Or worse off, your house.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2011-01-20 13:48:40)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Turq the reason the rehab goes up in a legal setting is because people feel comfortable getting help instead of back against the wall. The only main problem with Drugs is the crime not the abuse of it.
To a degree yes, but the extent to which rehab rates went up in Portugal after decriminalization implies that overall usage most likely increased as well.  Admittedly, there is no accurate way to prove this, however.

Last edited by Turquoise (2011-01-20 13:58:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6122|eXtreme to the maX
Blair's death raises the question of why multiple heavily-armed officers were sent to raid a drug addict -- and why Weber and Morgan counties in Utah would even need a "Narcotics Strike Force." Local police forces are able to keep property they seize in drug raids, often without the necessity of a conviction, creating a perverse incentive to reinvest in military equipment and carry out additional raids.
There you go, they're as bad as the gangs but they get govt funding and rights citizens don't have.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13/f/taiwan
+940|5715
idiot cops.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

cpt.fass1 wrote:

We've had the defending your home conversation before, which it seemed like this guy was doing. It was door smashed, he jumps out with a weapon to probably protect himself, then shot and finally "it's the police get on the floor".
^^
Yeah it seems the guy was reacting to his door getting smashed open in the middle of the night.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6199|Ireland

11 Bravo wrote:

drug addict is dead. 

/care cup
People shouldn't do drugs and deal out of there house.  The cop had every right to shoot him IF they actually had a legal search warrant.

Obviously the cops were too incompetent to carry out such a high risk raid, they were lucky to get the right house (forgot to bring the fucking warrant and didn't plan the raid).  That could be you or me dead as this turds next door neighbor.

but don't get me wrong, I would have shot the guy also.  It was dark and he had a shiny club/sword/weapon raised hiding in the dark and close to the cop.  This is why incompetent people shouldn't be allowed to plan these things, talk to the judges to get warrants, or serve illegal warrants (warrant became void when the guy they got it for moved out and they became aware of this, whole argument for no knock warrant was that the friend of the dead guy would flush the drugs). 

stupid cops, stupid druggies.  find it hard to care if they all killed themselves in this instance.  Glad the morons didn't kill the neighbor's kid.

Last edited by Lotta_Drool (2011-01-20 18:45:03)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The cop had every right to shoot him IF they actually had a legal search warrant.
No he didn't.
whole argument for no knock warrant was that the friend of the dead guy would flush the drugs
Which isn't deserving of a death penalty.

Stupid plod planned a stupid operation.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6675|BC, Canada

Macbeth wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

We've had the defending your home conversation before, which it seemed like this guy was doing. It was door smashed, he jumps out with a weapon to probably protect himself, then shot and finally "it's the police get on the floor".
^^
Yeah it seems the guy was reacting to his door getting smashed open in the middle of the night.
this is what I was thinking, if you have a house known to have drugs in it, its probably been broken into multiple times.

Just watched the vid again, and the guy doesn't make a move from the spot on the other side of the room. What, the cop couldn't have even told him to drop the weapon, not even once?

Last edited by Nic (2011-01-20 19:04:15)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5715
legally, the cop is suppose to prove that he reasonably BELIEVED his life was in danger. i don't think that was the case though. the officer may not face criminal charges but in a civil trial i think the gov't/cop are fucked. if someone close to Todd Blair files a claim on his behalf.  i doubt that the way the police executed the search warrant was properly done. although that's something someone with more knowledge/experience in law enforcement would know for sure.  that's if someone close to Todd Blair files a claim on his behalf.
cpt.fass1
+329|6712|NJ
The guy looked like he ran out of his room with the club, then got shot. I'd like to see what would happen if in the middle of the night the door gets kicked in.  Oh well there's a serial killer on the police force, I wonder how many more days intill he kills again.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6675|BC, Canada

cpt.fass1 wrote:

The guy looked like he ran out of his room with the club, then got shot. I'd like to see what would happen if in the middle of the night the door gets kicked in.  Oh well there's a serial killer on the police force, I wonder how many more days intill he kills again.
Half of the forum claims to have plenty of guns, so they probably would have given the cop better reason. Of course, half the forum isn't drug addicts that have been known to house dealers for drugs.

But, the cops fucked up which car was his, had a poorly planned and executed raid, forgot the warrant, etc. Wouldn't be that much of a stretch to see them get the wrong house.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

13/f/taiwan wrote:

legally, the cop is suppose to prove that he reasonably BELIEVED his life was in danger. i don't think that was the case though.
He's also not supposed to play Dirty Harry and go wading into situations where its inevitable he'll end up shooting someone.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6165|'straya
The guy is clearly an idiot. However, these cops were certainly not in the right. Whether they are protected by law or not, they still did an extremely poor job and it resulted in death. This whole police department seems to need a serious kick in the nuts and a refresher on how to do their jobs.

I know it's easy to be "Captain Hindsight", but these guys are meant to be trained for situations exactly like this one.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Nic wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Half of the forum claims to have plenty of guns, so they probably would have given the cop better reason. Of course, half the forum isn't drug addicts that have been known to house dealers for drugs.
Uh
http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/ … ouple.html
http://www.limaohio.com/articles/apartm … crish.html

There are many many more were those came from.

I do wonder though, if the police did performed a no knock raid on your home by accident and you ended up killing a few officer since you didn't know they were officers when they were breaching would you get charged? Probably yeah.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6675|BC, Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Nic wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Uh
http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/ … ouple.html
http://www.limaohio.com/articles/apartm … crish.html

There are many many more were those came from.

I do wonder though, if the police did performed a no knock raid on your home by accident and you ended up killing a few officer since you didn't know they were officers when they were breaching would you get charged? Probably yeah.
Did you just remove my second paragraph and then argue the point the point, that I made in it? Cause I said pretty much the same thing, without links. I'm pretty tired right now, so its a bit confusing that you did that.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Yeah I really dropped the ball there.
cpt.fass1
+329|6712|NJ
I wonder if they High Fived after they found the pot and the empty bag of Meth.

I blame Tiger Woods, without him a black man wouldn't have had the golf club.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2011-01-20 19:35:59)

CC-Marley
+407|6845
That was an execution in my eyes. The victim made no moves towards the officers. He didn't have time to. It could of been defused rather quickly I believe. Those are trained officers busting in a house at night scaring the crap out of an addict. Sad really.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6165|'straya
I like how they added the "Get on the ground" after they'd shot him 3 times.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6706|Tampa Bay Florida

CC-Marley wrote:

The victim made no moves towards the officers.
He came running around the corner with a gold club.  I imagine, in a situation like that, you dont have time to think about what the suspect is carrying.  It could have been anything.

Sure, it sucks, he did not have to die.  But the cops did nothing wrong here.  There are much worse examples of cops abusing their power.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard