11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5280|Cleveland, Ohio

Reciprocity wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The quality of law enforcement wildly varies by location.  Some cities have a long history of police corruption (LA, New Orleans).  Other areas have much more ethical forces.
police come from the people.  they arent raised on some other planet.  PEOPLE are fucked up, not cops.
which is exactly why I don't implicitly trust people who wear a badge.  My job has me interacting with cops every day, some are cool, some are sociopaths, like everyone else.
you could have said that instead of some random bad example.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6448|North Carolina

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The quality of law enforcement wildly varies by location.  Some cities have a long history of police corruption (LA, New Orleans).  Other areas have much more ethical forces.
police come from the people.  they arent raised on some other planet.  PEOPLE are fucked up, not cops.
To a degree, yes.   However, there's no doubt that power can corrupt.  It does with every level of government, and it does with corporate power as well.

What helps a system to become less corrupt is oversight.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6814|PNW

ghettoperson wrote:

Don't talk to the police under any circumstances, because even if you're innocent you can really easily talk yourself into a conviction.

EDIT: That's not a particularly good summary though, so I'd recommend watching it.
Don't need 50 minutes to know that. Don't call them on anything that isn't anonymously unless you're willing to witness, press charges or have a bunch of irritable people ask you questions and/or chew you out for bothering them.

Me, I just buy their asses coffee at Denny's on the rare occasion that I want to bomb my guts with eggs and bacon in the morning. The karma's worked for me so far, because I've never been written up for a dead-of-the-night u-turn or a broken taillight.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5401|London, England
I got a $220 ticket yesterday for doing a 3/4 stop instead of a full stop at an unnecessary and badly marked stop sign. The cops in that town are always harassing commuters and handing out tickets like they're going out of style because they know they have a captive populace tied to a single highway.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
so stop next time.  simple.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6565

@op, depends on circumstances.
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6320|Mo Val, Cali
Haha, my homework that I got on Thursday for Journalism is to write a 500-800 word story on this.

https://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac275/jackerp/homework.png
11 Bravo
Banned

JackerP wrote:

Haha, my homework that I got on Thursday for Journalism is to write a 500-800 word story on this.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac27 … mework.png
if youre in cali you should writing a paper on how to keep cali out of bankruptcy
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6814|PNW

JohnG@lt wrote:

I got a $220 ticket yesterday for doing a 3/4 stop instead of a full stop at an unnecessary and badly marked stop sign. The cops in that town are always harassing commuters and handing out tickets like they're going out of style because they know they have a captive populace tied to a single highway.
Free JG!
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6320|Mo Val, Cali

11 Bravo wrote:

JackerP wrote:

if youre in cali you should writing a paper on how to keep cali out of bankruptcy
As soon as you pay me to do so.
11 Bravo
Banned

JackerP wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JackerP wrote:

As soon as you pay me to do so.
that should be the title
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6320|Mo Val, Cali
Or... "A pointless paper on how to keep California out of bankruptcy that no one will read or even if they did would not listen to the advice within".
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5401|London, England
California Über Alles
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ig
+1,199|6565
bro you been to the howies in da MV? (think theres one there?)

@jackerp

Last edited by ig (2010-09-04 22:46:28)

JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6320|Mo Val, Cali
Yea I've been there quite a few times and some of the lock-ins.
ig
+1,199|6565

JackerP wrote:

Yea I've been there quite a few times and some of the lock-ins.
yeah ive been to the one in viejo and it was pretty much shit lol. buggy programs they use, mouse fucked up. happened on 2 computers i tried.
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6320|Mo Val, Cali
Yea with people watching youtube/myspace you never want to play any fps and even shit like LoL can be frustrating. Xfire is fucked up among other things. I try to only go to lock-ins now because you can win prizes like http://www.plantronics.com/north_americ … amecom-777 for a bc2 tourny I did and normal all days just suck. But I'm going, gtg to get up early for Knotts tomorrow. Have fun debating this shit and I'll have fun cramming this and other homework in on Monday.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6513

BN wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

In anycase, it's always interesting to see how many people the police manage to make confess when they don't have any evidence at all. Like 1 out of every 3 cases, the officers say before they go to interrogate someone something like "If we don't get a confession out of him now, we'll have to release him because we have nothing on him". Like 99% of the time the police manage to get the guy to talk.
Confessions make our job a lot easier. Even with really good evidence (and no confession) there is no guarantee a jury will convict.
Crooks are crooks for a reason, they are dumb as dog shit. If they were smart they would give a "no comment" interview.
i gave a calm, collected and confident "no comment" interview all the way through... just some young punk.

agree with the OP... don't talk to police. chances are if they're questioning you, you're going to (inadvertently) provide their answers.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6149|eXtreme to the maX
'No comment' is generally the way to go.
However it can be useful to put some things on the record, what they said to you during arrest and before formal interview for example or anything else YOU might need a record of at a later date.

Otherwise they have to prove you've done something, you don't need to provide a defence at that point.
If they've got to the stage of cautioning and questioning you they're only interested in proving their case, not hearing your side. Putting forward a defence won't help and you may trip yourself up.

Last I heard the Law Society view was the current Police caution is invalid, not sure what the situation is now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jord
+2,382|6721|The North, beyond the wall.

BN wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

In anycase, it's always interesting to see how many people the police manage to make confess when they don't have any evidence at all. Like 1 out of every 3 cases, the officers say before they go to interrogate someone something like "If we don't get a confession out of him now, we'll have to release him because we have nothing on him". Like 99% of the time the police manage to get the guy to talk.
Confessions make our job a lot easier. Even with really good evidence (and no confession) there is no guarantee a jury will convict.
Crooks are crooks for a reason, they are dumb as dog shit. If they were smart they would give a "no comment" interview.
Criminals aren't dumb as dog shit, some are more intelligent than the officers interogating them. Underestimating people is your first step downhill.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6810

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Criminals aren't dumb as dog shit, some are more intelligent than the officers interogating them. Underestimating people is your first step downhill.
Underestimating crooks? You have to be kidding.

I deal with the same pieces of shit every day and they are nowhere near smart.
jord

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

I don't understand the term "Crooks", is that like petty crime? GBH/ABH/Theft/Affray/etc?

Criminals that make money in a strictly business sense, can be very intelligent.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6810

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

I don't understand the term "Crooks", is that like petty crime? GBH/ABH/Theft/Affray/etc?

Criminals that make money in a strictly business sense, can be very intelligent.
Sorry, the crooks I deal with on a regular basis.

druggies, robbers, thieves, wife beaters, shop lifters, drunks. We see the same people most of the time. 80% of our time is taken up by the same 20% of the population.

Very few people have a successful career in crime here. There are 2 types; your deadshit who never has money and is drugfucked. And your "higher end crook"; they make lots of money but for short periods as they tend to get killed over stupid matters.
jord

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

BN wrote:

Sorry, the crooks I deal with on a regular basis.

druggies, robbers, thieves, wife beaters, shop lifters, drunks. We see the same people most of the time. 80% of our time is taken up by the same 20% of the population.

Very few people have a successful career in crime here. There are 2 types; your deadshit who never has money and is drugfucked. And your "higher end crook"; they make lots of money but for short periods as they tend to get killed over stupid matters.
I don't know how you can presume very few people have a successful criminal career, surely the ones that do are never caught and never accounted for...
That's assuming criminal business is someones only form of income. I know a few people that have an indoor cultivation setup that earns them £5000 every 3 months on top of their legal income. 2 of them have done it for 25 years, it's not terribly difficult.

Last edited by jord (2010-09-05 13:26:06)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6042|...
I believe not talking to the cops would get you in far more trouble than talking with them. Makes it very easy to assume you're hiding something.

I've never had any problems with cops either. They're pretty relaxed people most of the time, I bet they can appreciate it when someone cooperates once in a while instead of cursing and flailing their arms.
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard