Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6137|eXtreme to the maX

Burwhale wrote:

The $900 bonus.

Dilbert wrote:

might be short term 'win' but long term fail
You really dont get it! Stimulus is meant to be short term. Thats the point, so its a definite win, according to most economists as well.
Which is as smart as trying to stimulate your heart by cutting your wrists.

labor made no progress on climate change because the ETS ws blocked in the senate. remember who blocked it . Tony Abbott, the man himself. The only thing Labor did wrong was not use it as a double dissolution.
Well he's clearly a fuckwit.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6712|Disaster Free Zone

Burwhale wrote:

As for BER.

BER taskforce wrote:

An interim report, released on Friday, says the overall BER versus pre-BER cost differential, for each education authority, is in the range from zero per cent to 12 per cent.

"The higher costs have resulted from the scale, time and complexity of the undertaking," it says.

"Overall, delivering BER P21 within the short timeframe to achieve the economic stimulus objectives may have added a premium to pre-BER business as usual costs of between 5-6 per cent.

"The taskforce will continue to gather and analyse BER and pre-BER project data to enable us to have a more definitive view on value for money for the BER program as a whole by our November 2010 report."
Only 2 percent of schools had complaints. See the bit where it said "BER P21 within the short timeframe to achieve the economic stimulus objectives may have added a premium to pre-BER business as usual costs of between 5-6 per cent."
So most of the money went where it was meant to go, and 98 % of schools are happy.
Why would schools complain, they're getting free money. Does not stop the fact it's mostly pointless and wasteful spending. There's a private school just up the road from where I live (Sydney Grammar Prep), the BER money is being spent to rebuild the headmasters private residence.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5210|Sydney
Some interesting speculation on what we could get after Saturday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/08/19/2988043.htm
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6436|North Carolina
What I'm curious to know is how Fielding ever got elected...  Are there just a large number of idiots in Victoria?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6712|Disaster Free Zone

Turquoise wrote:

What I'm curious to know is how Fielding ever got elected...  Are there just a large number of idiots in Victoria?
Yes
Turquoise
O Canada

DrunkFace wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yes
Is it specifically religious nuts, or just old people that are really stuck up?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yes
There are a lot of religious whackjobs here.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6706|Canberra, AUS

Turquoise wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yes
Bear in mind Turq that 1. Fielding was elected in 2004, he didn't face reelection in 2007. In that election, he got a primary (so i.e. a "1" above or below the line) vote of 1.88%. So technically only 1.9% of Victorians actually voted for him. However preference flows (either from each individual below-the-line vote or above-the-line preferences decided by each party) gave him the 14.3% after-preferences needed to reach the Senate quota.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6254|Brisneyland
Bye Fielding , it hasnt been a pleasure!!! One good result of this election anyway.
Spark
+874|6706|Canberra, AUS
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
+957|5210|Sydney
Yeah that was a great week for O'Brien. Journalism at its finest.
Turquoise
O Canada

Spark wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Yes
Bear in mind Turq that 1. Fielding was elected in 2004, he didn't face reelection in 2007. In that election, he got a primary (so i.e. a "1" above or below the line) vote of 1.88%. So technically only 1.9% of Victorians actually voted for him. However preference flows (either from each individual below-the-line vote or above-the-line preferences decided by each party) gave him the 14.3% after-preferences needed to reach the Senate quota.
You'll have to explain this a bit further...  How does this primary differ from being up for re-election?  In the American system, a primary is only applicable within a single party before an election.  It sounds like your primaries are almost the same as an actual election...

Also, Instant Runoff Voting (something that may eventually make it to the American system) is basically the same as what you call preference voting -- so far as I understand it anyway.  So, I thought that preferences just meant that you could vote for a third party guy like Fielding but that he'd just have his votes ultimately go to one of the bigger parties (whichever party was most voted for as a second choice under Fielding).

With the way you've described it, it sounds almost like the opposite situation.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what below the line and above the line preferences are.  It sounds rather complicated.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6753|Sydney, Australia

Turquoise wrote:

I guess I'm trying to figure out what below the line and above the line preferences are.  It sounds rather complicated.
This page from the Australian Electoral Commission explains it best - http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/How_to_vot … actice.htm
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6184|what

oooh, i just voted and i have a hangover. felt like i was going to throw up waiting in line. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Voted, went for a coffee and warm double-choc muffin after.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6528

Dilbert_X wrote:

heh, when you vote here, you don't get coffee or a muffin, just raped . . .
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

burnzz wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

heh, when you vote here, you don't get coffee or a muffin, just raped . . .
We don't get free muffins, I bought it myself as I'm not a boob-sucking freedom hating liberal pussy.
Jaekus
+957|5210|Sydney

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You'll have to explain this a bit further...  How does this primary differ from being up for re-election?  In the American system, a primary is only applicable within a single party before an election.  It sounds like your primaries are almost the same as an actual election...

Also, Instant Runoff Voting (something that may eventually make it to the American system) is basically the same as what you call preference voting -- so far as I understand it anyway.  So, I thought that preferences just meant that you could vote for a third party guy like Fielding but that he'd just have his votes ultimately go to one of the bigger parties (whichever party was most voted for as a second choice under Fielding).

You can still direct your preferences regardless of where they would normally go (or so I've been led to believe). I think ultimately though they'll end up at one of the two majors.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6180|'straya
Just voted. On a sour note though, two more aussie soldiers have died in Afghanistan, this is getting ridiculous.

(Also free sausage sizzle ftw )
Spark
+874|6706|Canberra, AUS

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

An individual senate seat is contested at every second election, hence why normal general elections (not double dissolutions) are called half-senate elections.

In the senate things work differently. Once all the votes are counted, any "redundant" votes that take a candidate over the quota but not enough to reach the next quota have their preferences distributed. I think. It is quite complicated.

There is literally a line on the voting card for the senate. Above the line you can only put one vote for a single party (you can't put second or third preferences) and then the party you voted for basically decides where the the preferences go.

In the House of Reps life is much simpler, there it does work like a stock-standard preferences system.

Below the line you direct your preferences to each individual candidate yourself.
~ Richard Feynman
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6799

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Just voted. On a sour note though, two more aussie soldiers have died in Afghanistan, this is getting ridiculous.

I am disappointed in all parties for NOT making the wars an election issue.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

BN wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

What are wars compared to violence in Left 4 Dead 2?
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6799

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

BN wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

What are wars compared to violence in Left 4 Dead 2?
Issues parties are not afraid to touch.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6543|Gold Coast
Voted:
-liberal
-shooting party
-sex party
-fishing party
-vladmir putin
-labor

Crossed everyone else out from the list, and wrote 'HAHAHA' under the Australian Democrats.

noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Spark
+874|6706|Canberra, AUS

KuSTaV wrote:

Voted:
-liberal
-shooting party
-sex party
-fishing party
-vladmir putin
-labor

Crossed everyone else out from the list, and wrote 'HAHAHA' under the Australian Democrats.

don't think you'll care but there is a chance that'll see your vote get chucked away
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard