Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5203|Sydney
I think that's part of the point. Topics such as abortion, Israel, immigration etc. etc. are topics noone ever changes their stance on in any given thread, so it always degenerates after a couple pages into something that's merely a shoving match of opinions and loses the central point of the discussion. As far as a solution goes I guess it's either left alone, heavily moderated or these topics aren't discussed. None of these options is really very workable however IMO, hence this thread.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5611

Cdogmn
pace51
Boom?
+194|5198|Markham, Ontario

nlsme1 wrote:

It is more about maturity and respect.
This is the internet. Finding those qualities is as mind-bogglingly impossible as getting your feature request actually implemented into the forum.
Jaekus
+957|5203|Sydney
Classic example of what this thread is about here.

Not even past the first page yet, points of note:

1) Premise of the thread is an opinion piece, rather than a topic for discussion;
2) trolling has started almost straight away as a result;
3) Name calling, insults and backhanded jibes as a result of the trolling.
nlsme1
+32|5442
Post number 5 was the best one in that thread.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5383|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Calling someone a moron on a topic that has been debated previously saves time. I don't like having the same conversation 19453789 times and that's all that seems to happen here.
Then why not stay out of it instead of trolling?
I'm not here to sit in some debate club with stringent rules and regulations. I'm here to discuss interesting topics and if insults end up getting thrown? That's life. A sterile environment, where people could express any opinion they want without worry of being insulted to the point of embarrassment for holding them, sounds like the most boring place in the world.
If you can't discuss anything without throwing personal insults maybe DAST isn't for you.

Seems to be a general problem that as soon as certain people run out of argument or have theirs knocked flat they resort to insults, sometimes in the hope of getting the thread locked I guess - happens regularly enough.

Not sure how to deal with it.

Maybe

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj25 … -troll.jpg
Funniest part is that you're the biggest troll in this section of the forum. You rarely make any point not designed to incite your target.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6504
I like D&ST the way it is.  Nothing here is being resolved.  People have personalities, it shows through here just the same as in E&E.  If you can't take it, go away.  Chewy all ready has imposed rules on this section.  Just follow them.  Move along now, there's nothing to see here.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6131|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Calling someone a moron on a topic that has been debated previously saves time. I don't like having the same conversation 19453789 times and that's all that seems to happen here.
Then why not stay out of it instead of trolling?
I'm not here to sit in some debate club with stringent rules and regulations. I'm here to discuss interesting topics and if insults end up getting thrown? That's life. A sterile environment, where people could express any opinion they want without worry of being insulted to the point of embarrassment for holding them, sounds like the most boring place in the world.
If you can't discuss anything without throwing personal insults maybe DAST isn't for you.

Seems to be a general problem that as soon as certain people run out of argument or have theirs knocked flat they resort to insults, sometimes in the hope of getting the thread locked I guess - happens regularly enough.

Not sure how to deal with it.

Maybe

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj25 … -troll.jpg
Funniest part is that you're the biggest troll in this section of the forum. You rarely make any point not designed to incite your target.
There is a subtle difference between stimulating debate and bald personal attacks which achieve nothing except to show the poster is a petulant ass.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-06-01 16:18:23)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Wreckognize
+294|6510

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I like D&ST the way it is.  Nothing here is being resolved.  People have personalities, it shows through here just the same as in E&E.  If you can't take it, go away.  Chewy all ready has imposed rules on this section.  Just follow them.  Move along now, there's nothing to see here.
This this this. 

No amount of moderation will stop people from being demagogues, ideologues, or tin foil hatters.  Except for outright banning, but then we would lose the most "interesting" members and this section wouldn't be worth reading. 

Also, I'm still baffled by some people's inability to ignore idiotic/pointless/troll/flamebait posts.   Just because you can reply doesn't mean you should.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5383|London, England

Wreckognize wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

This this this. 

No amount of moderation will stop people from being demagogues, ideologues, or tin foil hatters.  Except for outright banning, but then we would lose the most "interesting" members and this section wouldn't be worth reading. 

Also, I'm still baffled by some people's inability to ignore idiotic/pointless/troll/flamebait posts.   Just because you can reply doesn't mean you should.
As to the last, see my sig
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
nlsme1
+32|5442

JohnG@lt wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

This this this. 

I empathize with you.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6024|Vortex Ring State

nlsme1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

This this this. 

I empathize with you.
In the spirit of the Empathy thread...

"YOU CANNOT EMPATHIZE AS YOU DO NOT HAVE SIG"
nlsme1
+32|5442

Trotskygrad wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I empathize with you.
In the spirit of the Empathy thread...

"YOU CANNOT EMPATHIZE AS YOU DO NOT HAVE SIG"
Fixed.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6680

The best way to fix D&ST is to get rid of all the delusional tools and keep the people who actually want to debate and discuss topics seriously. Oh but wait, there goes 95% of the membership.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6732|67.222.138.85
so very helpful

I think what would help a lot is a way to keep all the "tourists" as it were out. I don't know how to fairly do that however. What confuses me the most is why they don't keep themselves out, they are typically the ones that complain about the quality the most.
Jaekus
+957|5203|Sydney
If it's really an issue, maybe having moderation with enforcement for those who really do jump off the deep end in terms of flaming, frequent spamming etc. etc. in the form of temp bans for this forum, but still allowed access to other forums? Then it's not as extreme as a complete temp ban, but still gets the message across? Or is this just a shit idea?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6680

It's just so hard to avoid posting a ridiculously retarded post when the topic-at-hand has become so ridiculously retarded. "Tourists" can't derail a topic if it's already derailed and fallen off the side of a cliff and exploded, killing everyone inside.

The people in D&ST are just as stupid and spammy as the people in EE, it's just that their posts are veiled with shit like "Muslims" "Israel" "immigration" "abortion" "conservative" "liberal" etc.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-06-01 22:54:22)

ruisleipa
+149|6247|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

hahahaha I just noticed your sig...just shows that you have no interest in debating since all the people there just happen to be ones who disagree with you most of the time. LMAO.

Don't worry I know you won't respond, and I couldn't care less. It's pretty sad you bother posting in DST with an attitude like that. Dear oh dear.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6732|67.222.138.85
The idea a tourist has of what is and what is not a ridiculously retarded post is often ridiculously flawed.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6680

Another problem is that a lot people in D&ST need to get off their high horses.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6800|Moscow, Russia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The idea a tourist has of what is and what is not a ridiculously retarded post is often ridiculously flawed.
define me "ridiculously retarded post". try not to do it in a "ridiculously flawed" way.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
nlsme1
+32|5442

mtb0minime wrote:

This.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6835|Nårvei

nlsme1 wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

This.
Illogical statement tbh, my high horse and me are siamese twins
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6676|USA

nlsme1 wrote:

you speak of maturity and respect with a sig like that?

Not really sure where your sig comes from or what drove it, but the irony of that sig and your post compelled me to post.

Anyway, as far as the "real world" goes. I have a great job, I have a great trade, I have a great house with 2 great kids, healthy and happy. My marriage is getting better after a few years of rocky times, but hey we survived it. Not really sure what is going on in your "real world", but in mine, I have little complaints. I don't need "good luck". Luck is not "real world". In fact, if you are banking on luck to see you through your " real world" well all I can tell ya is, good luck.
pace51
Boom?
+194|5198|Markham, Ontario

lowing wrote:

nlsme1 wrote:

you speak of maturity and respect with a sig like that?

Not really sure where your sig comes from or what drove it, but the irony of that sig and your post compelled me to post.

Anyway, as far as the "real world" goes. I have a great job, I have a great trade, I have a great house with 2 great kids, healthy and happy. My marriage is getting better after a few years of rocky times, but hey we survived it. Not really sure what is going on in your "real world", but in mine, I have little complaints. I don't need "good luck". Luck is not "real world". In fact, if you are banking on luck to see you through your " real world" well all I can tell ya is, good luck.
HEY. There's only one person who knows about the real world in this forum. And that's me. Well, kinda.

On a serious note, these are the kinds of posts killing DST. Temp mods would be nice.

Also, maybe the poster should specify if they want the debate to include opinions or just factual statements as arguments... that would probably help.

Last edited by pace51 (2010-06-02 13:11:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard