pace51
Boom?
+194|5214|Markham, Ontario
Alrite, same as the lancer thread.

SH-2 Seasprite (F) model
Superseasprite (G) model
It's and ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) Helicopter, although it use to serve the transportation role. Ships use sonar to locate submarines, and the SH-2 Destroys them. Also, it was used to monitor the Russians.

Real world facts about the Kaman SH-2 Seasprite

Power: 2 1285-kW General Electric T700-GE-401/403C; F model has dual 1007-kWw T58-GE-8F Turboshafts
Armament: 2 Mk 46/Mk 50 torpedoes; The G model can carry an AGM-65 Maverick AG missile, and a .30 cal mg can be mounted on the doors. Depth charges may also be used.
Maximum Speed: 265 K/H, however, it usually cruises at 230 KpH
Range: 679 Km
Country of Origin: America
Manufacturer: Kaman
Ceiling: 5670M

Kaman’s SH2F Seasprite and SH2G SuperSeasprite are the ASW (Anti-submarine-warfare) variants of this capable helicopter. In the Vietnam War, it played a transport role. Before that, it was a rescue helicopter and utility copter, and was ship-launched. One of its biggest accomplishments was a 1968 rescue mission deep into enemy territory. Commander Clyde Lassen flew his SH-2 into enemy territory to rescue a downed F-4 Phantom crewmember. He was one of only two people who were awarded the Medal of Honour in that conflict for his daring actions.

Today, these are deadly weapons for use against submarines. Although not as capable as Sikorsky’s SH-60B Seahawk, these are still very capable aircraft. SH-2F’s were gradually replaced with the more heavy hitting and more heavily armored SH-2G Super Seasprite. Kaman is famous for the use of their meshing rotors. However, the F and G models do not use the meshing rotors, instead opting for the more conventional single rotor design. The SH-2G also carries a more powerful engine, and the AGM-65 Maverick missile. This missile is incredibly powerful, and although they are only useful against surface ships, they can cripple large ships and destroy smaller ones. The SH-2F and even the G model usually carried, and some still do carry, the Mk 46 anti-submarine air-launched homing torpedo, a NATO standard weapon. However, the Soviet submarine hulls, and other submarine hulls, are getting much thicker and more durable, rendering this torpedo obsolete. The more powerful Mk 50 is used with more effect.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/52201/mk46.jpg

An SH-2 attacks like this. Its parent ship will acquire a submarine through the use of its onboard passive or active Sonar. Then, the SH-2F or G is sent out to engage the submarine. As the Seasprite approaches, the ship guides Kaman’s Seasprite toward the target. The seasprite will then drop sonobuoy’s or use MAD gear which reacts to the magnetic field of a target. The crew will launch a torpedo or a depth charge at the target, from a nearby position. If a torpedo is used, the Mk 46/50 will do a spiral search pattern to acquire the target, and because it’s a homing torpedo, it will locate the target and hone in on it. If the first hit fails to destroy the submarine, a second torpedo is fired or new orders are given to the flight crew. However, many Seasprites only carry one torpedo on standard patrol missions, so the helicopter is most effective when its parent ship locates a submarine nearby. That way, it can be properly equipped. The US Navy frigates amd destroyers use the SH-2G.

The SH-2 rescue variants had floatation devices so that it could safely ditch in calm water only.
Britain utilizes the Lynx, and the USSR utilized the ka-25 Hormone-A

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/52201/220px-NZ_Seasprite_2008.jpg

Discuss

Last edited by pace51 (2010-04-15 13:42:33)

Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6530|Gogledd Cymru

Where's the real world facts guide?

I like reading them.
pace51
Boom?
Real world facts guide, coming up! (I only do these upon request now) Happily, theres always a request
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6619|Columbus, OH
PICS DMANIT
Fallschirmjager10
+36|6501
Anti sub helicopter? Wtf. Pics!
Surgeons

Fallschirmjager10 wrote:

There's quite a few, they drop sonobuoys, have a dipped sonar array or something similar and can carry torpedos and shit.

Very effective.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6540|so randum

The Sheriff wrote:

Fallschirmjager10 wrote:

There's quite a few, they drop sonobuoys, have a dipped sonar array or something similar and can carry torpedos and shit.

Very effective.
^

ed- the royal navy uses some modified lynx's iirc

Last edited by FatherTed (2010-04-15 12:20:24)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6619|Columbus, OH
Westland Lynx is a sexy sub hunting bird compared to the US Navy Sea King

Never heard of the Kaman SH-2 Seasprite until now

UPDATE: ok so I googled the Seasprite. It is just as ugly like the Sea King.

Last edited by loubot (2010-04-15 12:23:24)

pace51
Boom?
Heres the guide.
pace51
Boom?

loubot wrote:

Actually, my favorite subhunter is the SH-60 Seahawk. Really effective, and a huge load.
pace51
Boom?
Any requests for the next guide/discussion?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6672|Finland

Pictures would rock, you know.
I need around tree fiddy.
pace51
Boom?
Ive asked this before, shifty answered my question. But, do I have to post it on photobucket...etc., then upload it, then copy the URL?
I'm really confused.

Last edited by pace51 (2010-04-15 13:08:08)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6705|NT, like Mick Dundee

Find pictar, use [img]INSERTPICTARURLHERE[/img] to make it display on page.

Best if you upload to your own pb or bf2s or somethin but you don't strictly have to.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
pace51
Boom?
Yes! Got It!
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5514|Ventura, California

pace51 wrote:

loubot wrote:

Actually, my favorite subhunter is the SH-60 Seahawk. Really effective, and a huge load.
Agreed, the SH60 kicks ass. Oh and the Sea King is an ugly POS. Was good at the time though.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6714|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Pace - You telling me this chopper goes after Sub's and fucks them up?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6672|Finland

Flecco wrote:

Find pictar, use INSERTPICTARURLHERE to make it display on page.

Best if you upload to your own pb or bf2s or somethin but you don't strictly have to.
Because if you hotlink from a site that turn images into goatse, you're screwed.
I need around tree fiddy.
pace51
Boom?

1927 wrote:

Pace - You telling me this chopper goes after Sub's and fucks them up?
Yes.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6040|Vortex Ring State
the gulf war modification added a cabin-mounted M60 and flare launchers. Also might want to add some stuff on LAMPS III Mine detection system.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6715|Canberra, AUS
hm.

does this chopper have a... how shall i call it... "drop-down" sonar?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6146|eXtreme to the maX

pace51 wrote:

Any requests for the next guide/discussion?
Kamov Ka50
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Surgeons

Spark wrote:

hm.

Dipped sonar is the correct term I think.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6715|Canberra, AUS

The Sheriff wrote:

Spark wrote:

hm.

Dipped sonar is the correct term I think.
could be yeah

so, does it?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Surgeons

The SH-60F does not have the ASQ-81(V) Magnetic Anomaly Detector, however carries the ASQ-13 Dipping Sonar Array.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard