Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5379|London, England

androoz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

androoz wrote:

lol ya i just asked my dad why 2 secs ago and he said the same thing.

i guess that makes sense though, either mass transit or greener/more fuel efficient cars.
No, it doesn't make sense. It's a limit on your freedom and an entirely coercive act on the part of the government.
its gonna need to happen sooner or later isnt it? oil isnt a renewable resource and its not in abundance everwhere, better to get people to change now?

also do you think the US is doing the same thing? but on a lesser scale obviously...
No and no. All it does is make people poorer.

The US is not doing the same thing outside of California. The price of our gas reflects the market price with only a small (I think $0.08) federal tax per gallon.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Morpheus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

that one is not actually very far from my home town... i think PA has a few more, too. Not certain.
There are a bunch in NJ already...

Or were you thinking of this one?
Well, I dunno where you live so...

I'm all for nuclear energy but people who casually push environmental stances generally aren't. That's why I brought it up. They'll rave about hybrids or electric cars but cry NIMBY at the slightest whiff of a nuclear plant being built within 100 miles of them.
Palisades (the one I linked) is just down the road from me now (probably an hour south...less maybe).
I'm all for the wind and solar farms, too. Whenever I get around to buying a home (instead of renting) I'll look at the solar panels... also tying them into the grid, so i can have my own solar farm...
Except you live in the northeast where it snows and rains often. Are you going to chop down all the trees around your home too so the panels are never shaded? Even a small shadow on the panels will degrade their performance by 60% or so. You might be able to heat your water with solar panels on a home but don't expect them to power your entire home or produce enough energy that you make money back.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6020|The Mitten

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Well, I dunno where you live so...

I'm all for nuclear energy but people who casually push environmental stances generally aren't. That's why I brought it up. They'll rave about hybrids or electric cars but cry NIMBY at the slightest whiff of a nuclear plant being built within 100 miles of them.
Palisades (the one I linked) is just down the road from me now (probably an hour south...less maybe).
I'm all for the wind and solar farms, too. Whenever I get around to buying a home (instead of renting) I'll look at the solar panels... also tying them into the grid, so i can have my own solar farm...
Except you live in the northeast where it snows and rains often. Are you going to chop down all the trees around your home too so the panels are never shaded? Even a small shadow on the panels will degrade their performance by 60% or so. You might be able to heat your water with solar panels on a home but don't expect them to power your entire home or produce enough energy that you make money back.
say hello to my little friend:

Context.
Yes, the NE should probably not get wind/solar farms... Nuclear seems best up there.
However, what about the SW? There's a bit of open space down there....
In terms of private use, the solar really only augments the grid, yes, it is all likely possible that in order for me to get enough panels to complete break from the grid I'd need to take over the entire state of Michigan... however, if I can (almost) break free in the summer, hey, sounds good.
EE (hats
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Morpheus wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

say hello to my little friend:

Context.
Yes, the NE should probably not get wind/solar farms... Nuclear seems best up there.
However, what about the SW? There's a bit of open space down there....
In terms of private use, the solar really only augments the grid, yes, it is all likely possible that in order for me to get enough panels to complete break from the grid I'd need to take over the entire state of Michigan... however, if I can (almost) break free in the summer, hey, sounds good.
https://ivory.vnunet.com/images/businessgreen/desert-tortoise/medium.jpg
The continuing tension between conservationists and the renewable energy sector reared its head again last week, when US solar energy giant BrightSource Energy announced it would scale back a proposed solar thermal plant in California in order to protect the local tortoise population.

Conservation groups have claimed that the desert tortoise, a native species in the southwest's Mojave region that is officially on the endangered species list, is seeing its habitat threatened by huge thermal solar projects in the area.

One such project is BrightSource's Ivanpah solar array, which is due to become fully operational in 2012. The original plans for the project, which called for it to begin construction late last year, featured three large arrays – two producing 100MW each, and the third phase (Ivanpah 3) producing 200MW. The plans call for the units to cover a total surface area of 5.3 square miles.

However, last week the company submitted a proposal to the Californian Energy Commission (CEC) to reduce the overall area for the facility by 12 per cent, scaling back the size of the third phase of the project by 23 per cent, and replacing the five planned towers with just one.

The company said the changes would mean the facility avoids the area that would have required the most grading and rock removal in the solar fields, while leaving the largest natural stormwater features in the northern portion of the site intact.

The proposal will reduce the electricity-producing capacity of the project by 11 per cent to 392MW.

According to Defenders of Wildlife, the population of the desert tortoise has dropped by 90 per cent in the past 50 years, leaving as little as 100,000 of the animals in the south western desert region. Threats include human disturbance, to which the tortoises are extremely sensitive. The animals also rely heavily on local flora for their water supply.

This is not the first time that BrightSource Energy has had to adjust its plans for solar plants in California due to concerns from conservation lobby groups.

The company cancelled a solar project in the Broadwell Lake area of the Mojave desert in September following concerns about the proposed development's impact on local wildlife.

The firm's expansion plans could also be hindered by the introduction in December of a new bill from Californian senator Diane Feinstein that would protect areas of the Mojave desert, turning some parts of it into a national monument.

However, the proposed protected areas do not appear to overlap with the area to be used for the Ivanpah project.

California renewable energy standards previously dictated that the state draw 20 per cent of its energy from renewable sources by this year. The state has now been instructed to extend that renewable portfolio standard, requiring a third of the state's power to come from renewable sources by 2020.
http://www.businessgreen.com/business-g … se-prompts

Because 'greenies' can't even agree among themselves.
-Frederick Bastiat
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6020|The Mitten

JohnG@lt wrote:

http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2257842/imperilled-tortoise-prompts

Because 'greenies'idiots can't even agree among themselves.
Reminds me of a song by the Rolling Stones...

Yes, I'll agree we should protect the environment, but ffs, there's a limit where building a 'green' facility outweighs the inpact of the already existing plants...

this seems like a really good option to me.
(edit: found a better version of the song)

Last edited by Morpheus (2010-04-10 09:01:25)

EE (hats
SealXo
+309|6557
its all futures, asshole opec pricks, and greedy exxon.

fuckers

californias gas taxes rape my asshole

not to mention 70% of alaska is owned by DC. more like a colony than a state. if they could drill in any of that barren fucking wasteland we would tell foreign oil to suck our dodes

Last edited by SealXo (2010-04-10 09:07:40)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

SealXo wrote:

its all futures, asshole opec pricks, and greedy exxon.

fuckers

californias gas taxes rape my asshole

not to mention 70% of alaska is owned by DC. more like a colony than a state. if they could drill in any of that barren fucking wasteland we would tell foreign oil to suck our dodes
I blame OPEC the most.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6484|cuntshitlake

So you US people may soon pay half what I do. I feel so sorry for you.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2010-04-10 09:35:13)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5258|Cleveland, Ohio

DUnlimited wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

/waits for some euro to say something aboot their prices like we care.
winnah!
DUnlimited
+1,160|6484|cuntshitlake

11 Bravo wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

winnah!
It's funny how you formed that sentence so that it implies Americans are superior to euros
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5258|Cleveland, Ohio

DUnlimited wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

winnah!
It's funny how you formed that sentence so that it implies Americans are superior to euros
no it means we dont give a flying fuck what you pay.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

11 Bravo wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

winnah!
no it means we dont give a flying fuck what you pay.
Euros pay a lot coz they don't realize their government just wants people to be good obedient bitches. Even Taiwan oil prices aren't that high. Europe seems to suck a lot of donkey dick. Sure you have equality in terms of economics, but you're all equally poor as compared to Americans Post-Tax and cost of living.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5280|foggy bottom
all the talk about "we pay much more over here" crap never makes one of you guys ever question why the fuck is it you pay ridiculously higher prices than the rest of the world?
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5280|foggy bottom
do you really think the price of petro is really worth as high as you pay it when iran sells it for 45 cents a gallon and they dont even have their own refinery capabalities?
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

eleven bravo wrote:

all the talk about "we pay much more over here" crap never makes one of you guys ever question why the fuck is it you pay ridiculously higher prices than the rest of the world?
Coz their government "takes care of them."

Self-reliance needs to be exported to Europe.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6484|cuntshitlake

lol
eleven bravo
+1,399|5280|foggy bottom
I guess when gun deaths start rising i could say "shiet, quit complaining, its much higher over here"
Tu Stultus Es
SealXo
+309|6557
since when do you need to drive anywhere in england.
shit my daily commute to school is probably bigger than your whole country.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6387|California
Here in Cen Cal prices still range from $3.00 to $3.50
most the the Shells are from $3.19-$3.39 87,89,91 respectively
Acro AMPM's are the cheapest aside from Costco $3.05-$3.25

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2010-04-10 10:14:28)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5280|foggy bottom
its all the same gas, which is funny.
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

eleven bravo wrote:

its all the same gas, which is funny.
All Iraqi and Saudi.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5280|foggy bottom
it all comes from the same refineries in california and gets delivered to different brands

for instance, arco is the cheapest gas around which would leave a person to believe that they are also the least quality.  not true.  they get delivered the same gas as shell, chevron and exxon mobil.
Tu Stultus Es
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6015|Truthistan

JohnG@lt wrote:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 … /index.png

I don't see a spike in there... Looks pretty stable to me. This is over three years btw.
Galt where did you get such a crappy graph... no table, no nothing... that graph must have been put out by the "I'm speculating on gasoline so screw you there is no need for you to complain society" otherwise known as wall street.
here's a better graph and it adjusted for inflation
https://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice2.png

Like I've posted before, commodity speculators are driving prices and killing the economic recovery, we are going to have stagflation and a double dip W.... you can even seen in the gas prices spike up, spike down and now rising again. Commodities are in double rise or M pattern and the economy is in a double dip or W pattern..... and inverse relationship now who would of thought that the economy would work like that /sarcasm.

Govt could nip this all in the butt with some regulation on commodity trading, like upping the margins to 50% from 5% on oil and gas trading, before this gets out of control.... but then their friends and benefactors wouldn't be able to rape our asses and usher in a new era of excessive energy pricing based on rent seeking behavior... unfortunately for us the economy is a zero sum game where the money taken out by commodity speculators results in less money for the purchase of comsumer goods, housing and other manufactured items... in otherwords a jobless recovery and that's not sustainable recovery.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6426|North Carolina
Fuck coal.  It's time to go nuclear for our power structure.  It worked very well for Canada and France.  They generally have cleaner air than we do as well.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6550|Global Command
Looking back, it was the spike in gas cost that really pushed the economy over the edge. Maybe it revealed that few had more than $500.00 or so per month that they could absorb without defaulting on cc payments and such.

I remember pumping that gas @ $4.85.00 per gallon thinking, how fuck are we now, how fuck are we now, how fucked are we now, we are surely fucked now.

The fact that banks aren't doing anything meaningful in regards to loan mods for the millions of upsidedown homes, the commodity bubbling and the general unease most people feel means there will be no quick exit from this hell.

Again, taking it all in it is hard to see how this is anything but a harvest of wealth, designed to set the middle class back and down and further consolidate the power and money into the hands of the few.

I would say that at best we are in the middle stage of this financial debacle. All signs do point to further calamity and hardship, meaning this could just be the beginning.

koinkydink that it all seems to be gathering speed as we near 2012.

At the least, I expect our various world governments to use the panic and fear associated with the current climate of collapse and impending doom to expand their police powers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard