Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6750|67.222.138.85

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Not as far as I can tell. I didn't say anything about the difficulties of waging war in a city. I didn't argue, not do I care whether or not this kind of action falls under the rules of engagement, or whether or not it is permitted in war. All I said was that if you can't fight a war in a city without this kind of action being sanctioned and perfectly acceptable, then I don't think you should be doing it. I realise that he disagrees with me, but he didn't address anything I said.
You ask for the impossible. Any kind of urban warfare you find unacceptable, but that is what constitutes warfare in the present day. Now if you want to say that we shouldn't have wars at all, that would be hilarious.
Where do you get this from? I haven't at all said that I find any kind of urban warfare unacceptable.
Simple logic.  You require credible and overwhelming reason to engage, credible and overwhelming reason does not exist in urban warfare, you find urban warfare unacceptable.

mikkel wrote:

But I haven't said that I see the necessity of command decisions in all but some cases.

mikkel wrote:

I said that I don't agree with the kind of warfare that permits and justifies this 'command decision' that you're referring to.
I don't understand how you fail to see the logical fallacy in the above statements. You don't disagree with with the necessity of command decisions, acknowledging that command decisions requires the same leeway in all cases and can not be limited in scope to specific cases, but you disagree with the methods that give the command decision in this specific case.

Disagreeing with the idea of command decisions is categorically disagreeing with war period.

mikkel wrote:

Well, these people came across the place in a truck after the shots had been fired. That doesn't to me constitute hanging around people with weapons. It doesn't suggest to me that they knew that the people had weapons. It just suggests to me that they stopped and tried to help an injured man. It's easy to postulate and assume the worst, but what I'm saying is that when it's equally easy, or easier to postulate and assume the good, one should exercise constraint. The chance of three dead insurgents isn't worth a very likely chance of three dead civilians to me. Certainly not in the situation displayed.
They had AKs that could be seen from a chopper. How could you possibly "not know" the people had weapons? If you assume the best, you could assume every single person in the country has a weapon to do nothing more than defend their home and family. You could assume the best and say that every person with a cell phone by the side of the road is calling their grandmother. You could assume every single frickin person in the country could be considered a civilian, there is absolutely no way to tell. Even if they shoot at you, they could be doing it at gun point or other similar ridiculous and useless theories.

Assuming the reasonable is the only thing that matters. It's reasonable to assume that people dressed like the people that shoot at you, holding the things they use to shoot at you with, are going to shoot at you. Assuming that people around armed people helping previously armed people are "very likely" three civilians is highly unreasonable.

mikkel wrote:

credible and overwhelming reason
This idea alone is absurd, particularly in war but in any sort of politics as well. Credible and overwhelming reason is a fairy tale.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5401|London, England

mikkel wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Simple questions for you mikkel. Who is at fault for the civilian deaths caused in Iraq? Is it the American troops for not being diligent enough or is it the insurgents fault for not obeying the rules of war and fighting with uniforms on that designate them as combatants? Is it America's fault that the insurgents hide among the civilian populace and make themselves indistinguishable from it? Who is ultimately at fault when civilians are mistaken for combatants?

A rational person would lay the blame at the feet of the insurgents.
A rational person wouldn't lay the blame squarely on one party. Nor would a rational person merely assign the American forces a carte blanche as a result of the actions of the insurgents. The challenge of fighting an insurgency is tough. The American government and military leadership took on the tough challenge, though, and took a risk on behalf of the civilian Iraqi population. I don't believe that you can simply dismiss the responsibility of the U.S. to make sure that they do their best to respect the responsibility they have to the Iraqi people in taking that risk, and I don't believe that they did their best in this situation.
They have and continue to do better than 90% of the worlds militaries with respect to civilians. If it was the Russians, Chinese or most other countries, they would've wiped out the entire block without batting an eyelash. Respecting civilians in war is an entirely new phenomena that is mostly propagated by television cameras being present on the field rather than newspaper reporters. Before the advent of television reporting from the field no one gave a damn about civilians. Heck, in WWII, more civilians died than military personnel. 'But we can always do better' is not a real answer because we've been doing the best that we can and it has cost us American lives on the battlefield. We're not running across the countryside raping, pillaging and looting like armies of the past.

You seem to want battles to resemble those fought in the Civil War where two opposing armies lined up with muskets and shot at one another and where combatants were easily recognizable. Those days are long gone. The enemy can't beat us in the field so they hide in the cities among the civilians. That is the reality of war and civilians will die because of it. C'est la vie.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6149|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Simple questions for you mikkel. Who is at fault for the civilian deaths caused in Iraq? Is it the American troops for not being diligent enough or is it the insurgents fault for not obeying the rules of war and fighting with uniforms on that designate them as combatants? Is it America's fault that the insurgents hide among the civilian populace and make themselves indistinguishable from it? Who is ultimately at fault when civilians are mistaken for combatants?

The American troops have the option of not opening fire unless they are 100% certain about who they are shooting at in a civilian area.

Five years after major combat operations ceased this was still going on, amazing really.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Flaming_Maniac

mikkel wrote:

I don't believe that you can simply dismiss the responsibility of the U.S. to make sure that they do their best to respect the responsibility they have to the Iraqi people in taking that risk, and I don't believe that they did their best in this situation.
Yes, the U.S. has a responsibility to protect the safety not only of American soldiers, but of Iraqis as well. That means taking out the kind of people that are likely to, say, blow up a bus.

Eliminating as many insurgents as possible as safely as possible is in the best interests of civilians and American soldiers. Giving enemy combatants carte blanche to do anything except explicitly fire on soldiers is equally as stupid and dangerous as letting the U.S. kill as many civilians as is deemed necessary. But then, nobody does that. Especially the U.S. military.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FM wrote:

Assuming the reasonable is the only thing that matters. It's reasonable to assume that people dressed like the people that shoot at you, holding the things they use to shoot at you with, are going to shoot at you. Assuming that people around armed people helping previously armed people are "very likely" three civilians is highly unreasonable.
Given the widespread ownership of AKs in Iraq, and the multitude of militias, police, undercover operatives etc opening up from a helicopter on a crowd apparently doing nothing much is pretty dumb.
Flaming_Maniac

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The American troops have the option of not opening fire unless they are 100% certain about who they are shooting at in a civilian area.

Five years after major combat operations ceased this was still going on, amazing really.
Bullets go through things, bullets bounce off things, bullets do lots of harmful things to people they were not necessarily aimed at. How are those casualties different from shooting at a guy standing on the side of the street, blatantly holding an AK? Just because they shot at you, that means the risk to civilian casualties is somehow diminished? You're going to tell me the guy standing on the side of the street isn't a threat and never will be?
Flaming_Maniac

Dilbert_X wrote:

FM wrote:

Given the widespread ownership of AKs in Iraq, and the multitude of militias, police, undercover operatives etc opening up from a helicopter on a crowd apparently doing nothing much is pretty dumb.
No friendlies in that area.

I mean seriously, you're going to tell me that they're not supposed to shoot at crowds of the enemy because there could be a black ops in there? LOL
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bullets go through things, bullets bounce off things, bullets do lots of harmful things to people they were not necessarily aimed at. How are those casualties different from shooting at a guy standing on the side of the street, blatantly holding an AK? Just because they shot at you, that means the risk to civilian casualties is somehow diminished?
Wasn't aware holding an AK was a capital crime.
You're going to tell me the guy standing on the side of the street isn't a threat and never will be?
Who knows? Maybe he's on your side?
So every Iraqi is the enemy? There's the problem I think.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-04-05 21:49:04)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5793|شمال
Cowboys! I tell you...
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6585|Texas - Bigger than France

Dilbert_X wrote:

As a general rule, I always think its wise to hang out in a warzone around people who have guns.

You know, for safety....
Flaming_Maniac

Dilbert_X wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bullets go through things, bullets bounce off things, bullets do lots of harmful things to people they were not necessarily aimed at. How are those casualties different from shooting at a guy standing on the side of the street, blatantly holding an AK? Just because they shot at you, that means the risk to civilian casualties is somehow diminished?
Again, holding an AK in a war zone has a pretty reasonable implication that you are going to use it, and not for target practice.

Dilbert_X wrote:

You're going to tell me the guy standing on the side of the street isn't a threat and never will be?
Dude what kind of arguement is this. Besides the fact that I should think people "on our side" would be intelligent enough to not provoke people who obviously don't know who they are, they signed up for a dangerous mission that has exactly that threat.[

Dilbert_X wrote:

No. No friendlies means no nothing. Nobody in that vicinity working with the U.S. military informed them of their whereabouts, and they are clearly not in uniform. So yeah, everyone that's not part of the coalition in Iraq holding a gun is an enemy or a complete moron. You couldn't pay me to hold any kind of weapon out in the open in a warzone unless I was intending to use it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6780|Oxferd Ohire

Pug wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

As a general rule, I always think its wise to hang out in a warzone around people who have guns.

You know, for safety....
even if it is to defend yourself having guns, or being around people who do, can draw unwanted attention from both sides, especially the US
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6811

eleven bravo wrote:

BN wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

yes.  unless you figure out a new way to master urban combat in the 21st century.
Default action is to kill? It would be different if Iraq were liberating USA and they killed civilians.

That's not my job to figure it out how to master urban combat.

As this was a liberation and not a "war" this should have been thought of prior to going in to Iraq.

Default killing is just wrong.
ok.  I agree, we shouldnt have invaded.  Iraq posed absolutely no threat and the bush administration knowingly misled the public in order to justify an invasion.  now that we've got that out of the way and we could both say we stand on the same position on that subject, could you please suggest a different way a military should be able win?  because the fact is we are there, now, engaging an enemy in a fluid combat environment. 

Its not your job, correct.  Its not my job either.  But you cant say this is wrong wrong wrong wrong without at least giving me something practical to think about.  Please, considering we are there and thats not going to change any time soon, what should be done instead?
Pull out.

We have liberated Iraq from Hussein. Iraq seem to have a domestic terrorism problem which should be dealt with by the local & federal police.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6718|Canberra, AUS

BN wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

BN wrote:

Default action is to kill? It would be different if Iraq were liberating USA and they killed civilians.

That's not my job to figure it out how to master urban combat.

As this was a liberation and not a "war" this should have been thought of prior to going in to Iraq.

Default killing is just wrong.
ok.  I agree, we shouldnt have invaded.  Iraq posed absolutely no threat and the bush administration knowingly misled the public in order to justify an invasion.  now that we've got that out of the way and we could both say we stand on the same position on that subject, could you please suggest a different way a military should be able win?  because the fact is we are there, now, engaging an enemy in a fluid combat environment. 

Its not your job, correct.  Its not my job either.  But you cant say this is wrong wrong wrong wrong without at least giving me something practical to think about.  Please, considering we are there and thats not going to change any time soon, what should be done instead?
Pull out.

We have liberated Iraq from Hussein. Iraq seem to have a domestic terrorism problem which should be dealt with by the local & federal police.
iraq didn't have a local or federal police...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6759

BN wrote:

Pull out.

And watch the country turn into a failed state? Fuck no. It's worst off for the US and the rest of the world. What I'd REALLY like to see is more cooperation between ME nations and their aid in rebuilding Iraq.

Edit: The reason why Iraq is in such a huge fucking mess now is because the US dicked around for 6 months and lost the confidence of the populace. Hajji don't trust GI too much.

Last edited by Cybargs (2010-04-05 22:48:31)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Again, holding an AK in a war zone has a pretty reasonable implication that you are going to use it, and not for target practice.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dude what kind of arguement is this. Besides the fact that I should think people "on our side" would be intelligent enough to not provoke people who obviously don't know who they are, they signed up for a dangerous mission that has exactly that threat.[

Dilbert_X wrote:

No. No friendlies means no nothing. Nobody in that vicinity working with the U.S. military informed them of their whereabouts, and they are clearly not in uniform. So yeah, everyone that's not part of the coalition in Iraq holding a gun is an enemy or a complete moron. You couldn't pay me to hold any kind of weapon out in the open in a warzone unless I was intending to use it.
It wasn't a 'warzone', it was a civilian city, the US military were involved in policing operations in a civilian city under the jurisdiction of the Iraqi govt.

There's your problem I think.

Two of the guys were holding cameras, misidentified as RPGs. Its quite common for civilians in cities to have cameras.
I wasn't aware being a moron was a capital offence either.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-04-05 23:29:13)

ruisleipa
+149|6265|teh FIN-land

DBBrinson1 wrote:

In their bravado/stupidity they fire on that tiny helicopter way far away (crap, what's it going to do -right?).
No-one fired at anyone ya idiot.

Cybargs wrote:

Hajji don't trust GI too much.
lol...i wonder why? cos GI is racist psyco who shoots civilians and kids from a helicopter? hmmm...think I can see the correlation thar.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Does that make us all psychopaths too?
makes you all sick people who've lost part of your humanity, yeah.

Professional soldiers don't need to find joy in killing. Immature men/boys who ahve been manipulated by the army...do.

S3v3N wrote:

Also this is a prime example of the media needs to stay the fuck out of a war zone.
No, the media needs to stay there, just so that there's a chance in the middle of the propaganda shit some people are held responsible for war crimes etc.

JohnG@lt wrote:

or is it the insurgents fault for not obeying the rules of war
LOL...pot, meet kettle.

JohnG@lt wrote:

What would you rather they do, cry? At least they're displaying some emotion and not sitting there stone-facedly.
Fuckin right they should cry. I'd rather they sit there stone-faced and NOT TAKE FUN OUT OF BLOWING UP PEOPLE.

I mean, how fucked up do you have to be to be proud that someone from your armed forces has blown up some kids?

eleven bravo wrote:

what has been done here clearly falls under jus in bello
BULLSHIT.

BN wrote:

Thank you Wikileaks for this.

This is a disgrace. How can you be so sure there is an RPG & AK's and be so far from the truth? Surely being "the good guys" you need to be 100% sure that they were armed.

Why would you engage a unarmed van driver helping a wounded person? Is that in the ROE?

The cover-up in the aftermath is even more of a disgrace.

We are supposed to be liberating this country and all we are doing, and have been doing, is creating resentment and more insurgents.
Nuff said?

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-04-06 00:06:17)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5517|Ventura, California

ruisleipa wrote:

Vilham wrote:

1. Those pilots have to react instantly, they don't have time to send the video back, let it be analyzed for a few hours then open fire.
So if there's any doubt they could be shooting civilians they shouldn't. Simple.

Vilham wrote:

2. Those straps on the cameras from several hundred feet up will look just the same as any guns strap.
And a rucksack strap looks like a gun strap. Gonna shoot backpackers? And a piece of pipe looks like a gun. You gonna shoot plumbers now too?

Vilham wrote:

3. Two of them DID have AKs.
Everyone and hios dog in Iraq has an AK. And so what anyway? An AK vs. an APache...hmmm...not much danger there is there? nad two had AKs - what about the other ten or so who were killed and the kids in the van, did they have some weapons? err...no.

Vilham wrote:

4. The guy who sat on the corner pointing something up at the choppers is A, an insurgent with a RPG. B, a fucking moron for sitting in a hidden position pointing something at someone who is on the lookout for people trying to kill him.
aaahh so it's the civilians fault for being there. riiight. makes sense. how silly to think otherwise.
Ruis why is it so hard for you to put yourself in their shoes?

So all the insurgents who hide amongst civilians should be left alone?

You're exaggerating with the backpackers, or at least I hope you are because that's plain stupid.

Their job is to protect forces on the ground, the AK can't even scratch the paint job, but it can put a huge hole in somebody's chest.

You don't sit in a hidden position with something that looks like a weapon and point it at somebody trying to kill you. That's just retarded.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
ruisleipa
+149|6265|teh FIN-land

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You're exaggerating with the backpackers, or at least I hope you are because that's plain stupid.

Their job is to protect forces on the ground, the AK can't even scratch the paint job, but it can put a huge hole in somebody's chest.

You don't sit in a hidden position with something that looks like a weapon and point it at somebody trying to kill you. That's just retarded.
Sh1fty, I'd like to think that if I'm in a helicopter a few hundred metres up in the sky and I know there are civilians in an area and someone holding something that could by a stretch of the imagination be some kind of weapon which is not in the slightest threatening to me then I would hold my fire because I know I might kill some civvies. The problem with the pilots is that they were clearly gunning for a fight and wanting to 'waste some ragheads' or whatever. Am I exaggerating with the backpackers? A strap of ANYTHING could look like a gunstrap. It's a lame excuse. Almost anything could look like a gun...IF YOU WANT IT TO. Which they clearly did. Not saying the journo was clever in his actions, but it's not just the journo, it's the other civvies and kids there too. Were they stupid too? They lived there, shouldn't they be free to go about their daily business without the fear of being blown up?

As far as I can tell there are NO weapons on that video.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-04-06 00:28:05)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

ruisleipa wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Sh1fty, I'd like to think that if I'm in a helicopter a few hundred metres up in the sky and I know there are civilians in an area and someone holding something that could by a stretch of the imagination be some kind of weapon which is not in the slightest threatening to me then I would hold my fire because I know I might kill some civvies. The problem with the pilots is that they were clearly gunning for a fight and wanting to 'waste some ragheads' or whatever. Am I exaggerating with the backpackers? A strap of ANYTHING could look like a gunstrap. It's a lame excuse. Almost anything could look like a gun...IF YOU WANT IT TO. Which they clearly did. Not saying the journo was clever in his actions, but it's not just the journo, it's the other civvies and kids there too. Were they stupid too? They lived there, shouldn't they be free to go about their daily business without the fear of being blown up?

I saw what seemed to be 2 AK47s and I thought the shoulder straps were weapons too until I saw the "Dude with camera". I'm just trying to put 2 and 2 together here. There's 2 guys you know have AKs, so that's enough to make them valid targets to shoot at. Not to mention two other people have shoulder straps with large cameras which look like RPGs.

We don't know the context of this film. We don't know why that Apache was there. Maybe he had reports of armed men grouping there.

You always want to be safe instead of sorry. What if those two armed men killed several Americans later on with those AKs? What if that RPG kills some soldiers patrolling in a HMMWV?
Spark
+874|6718|Canberra, AUS

-Sh1fty- wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I saw what seemed to be 2 AK47s and I thought the shoulder straps were weapons too until I saw the "Dude with camera". I'm just trying to put 2 and 2 together here. There's 2 guys you know have AKs, so that's enough to make them valid targets to shoot at. Not to mention two other people have shoulder straps with large cameras which look like RPGs.

We don't know the context of this film. We don't know why that Apache was there. Maybe he had reports of armed men grouping there.

You always want to be safe instead of sorry. What if those two armed men killed several Americans later on with those AKs? What if that RPG kills some soldiers patrolling in a HMMWV?
This is actually a fairly reasonable post.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I'm curious as to why they engaged the mini-van though. I guess they didn't want them to get a hand on the weapons. I'm even more curious as to why those men would bring such young children to 8 mutilated bodies chopped up with a 30 mike mike.

Wrong place at the wrong time.
Spark
+874|6718|Canberra, AUS
Internet armchair investigations are rarely accurate.
~ Richard Feynman
ruisleipa
+149|6265|teh FIN-land

-Sh1fty- wrote:

If if if. What they DID know is that there was maybe a couple of guys with ak's and a bunch of unarmed civilians. Enough info NOT to shoot? Yes.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

ruisleipa wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

If if if. What they DID know is that there was maybe a couple of guys with ak's and a bunch of unarmed civilians. Enough info NOT to shoot? Yes.
What they did know is that there was to armed gunmen they needed to take down. Which they did quite well at.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard