androoz
Banned
+137|5232|United States

Ilocano wrote:

androoz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Good way to go through life as a whining liberal making $30k a year and wondering why your parents lied to you when they told you that you were a unique snowflake.
not everyone wants a life that revolves around money.

also its possible to find a career that you enjoy and make a lot of money doing it. so i dont see what that whole 30k a year shit is about.
That's youth talking.  Yes, money can't completely buy happiness, but it sure helps a lot.   Making loads of money isn't so much an issue when you are single, as it is fairly easy to get away with things with very little money.  But once you are married and have kids, money is a big deal.  If you are loaded, happiness is being able to afford to fly to Florida for the weekend, to go to Europe for a couple weeks, to Asia for a month, go deep sea fishing with buddies on weekdays, cabin to Big Bear for the weekend, trip to Catalina Island for the hell of it, annual passes to all the local attractions, catching a Lakers game with great seats, hitting a show on a whim, etc.  And if that means getting a job that pays a lot, but is not your #1 choice for a job, so be it.
i was just trying to point out that you can enjoy a career and make good money doing it.

personally id rather have general happiness as more of a priority than being rich but to each their own. although it wouldnt be bad making a lot of money and being happy lol.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6687

eleven bravo wrote:

get laid dude
One of my first priorities going into college.  But wasn't the easiest to get the first couple of years.  But then, interesting enough, third year in, some girls from High School that wouldn't consider me are now all over me.  Reality set in that they should consider getting hooked up with one of the smartest kids from HS who is now on a fast track to career success.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6687

androoz wrote:

i was just trying to point out that you can enjoy a career and make good money doing it.

personally id rather have general happiness as more of a priority than being rich but to each their own. although it wouldnt be bad making a lot of money and being happy lol.
One of my cousins is a CFO, making a ton of money, married, but no kids.  He wants even more money, but also regrets not having kids.  So yeah, money isn't everything.
androoz
Banned
+137|5232|United States

Ilocano wrote:

androoz wrote:

One of my cousins is a CFO, making a ton of money, married, but no kids.  He wants even more money, but also regrets not having kids.  So yeah, money isn't everything.
my uncle in the hedge fund industry has more money than i can ever dream of having yet manages to have a family and enjoy his work.

so if you can find something you enjoy and make good money, perfect.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5377|London, England

androoz wrote:

also its possible to find a career that you enjoy and make a lot of money doing it. so i dont see what that whole 30k a year shit is about.
Kid, don't try to tell me how life works. Your life doesn't have to revolve around the pursuit of money but it damn well should involve doing something that provides for your family if you plan on having one. Encouraging someone to be an actor instead of choosing a rewarding career is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
androoz
Banned
+137|5232|United States

JohnG@lt wrote:

androoz wrote:

Kid, don't try to tell me how life works. Your life doesn't have to revolve around the pursuit of money but it damn well should involve doing something that provides for your family if you plan on having one. Encouraging someone to be an actor instead of choosing a rewarding career is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.
heres the part where galt tells me im a kid and explains to me how life works lol.

you dont need to be rich to provide for a family.

theres nothing wrong with pursuing a career in acting as long as you have a backup plan.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6687

androoz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

androoz wrote:

heres the part where galt tells me im a kid and explains to me how life works lol.

theres nothing wrong with pursuing a career in acting as long as you have a backup plan.
Thing is, that vast majority of actors only backup plan is waiting tables.  There are very few successful actors with family.  Same goes for professional athletes.  I could say the same thing for hedge fund managers as well.  Congrats on your uncle.

Look at American Idol.  10000 applicants per city wittled down to 12 or less who will make something of themselves.  I'd say at least 10% of applicants had the "I've been doing this all my life.  It was what I was meant to do" mentality.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-03-09 10:21:35)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6588|Mountains of NC

androoz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

androoz wrote:

I hear gambling can be a good way to provide for a family also
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
androoz
Banned
+137|5232|United States

SEREMAKER wrote:

androoz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

if youre one of the few that makes millions from it, sure.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6588|Mountains of NC

androoz wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

androoz wrote:

guess why theres only a few
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
jord
+2,382|6698|The North, beyond the wall.
Be either a helicopter pilot or a spook, both have good pay and are probably exciting.

Or experiment with shrooms and the soon-to-be massive surge of 3d films, let me know how it goes.
androoz
Banned
+137|5232|United States

SEREMAKER wrote:

androoz wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

guess why theres only a few
probably because the chances are low of making a career out of it. doesnt mean you shouldnt pursue it as long as you have another job or backup plan. ie a degree in something.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5563|Toronto
I'll say do what your good at, not what you think will earn cash as well. My plan involves post-grad, though; being poor and happy is stupid. Take a general degree that leaves most of the doors in your very general area (by which I mean choose between either science/math and the arts/social sciences). Psychology is surprisingly good for near all business/social science post-grad degrees, while chemistry leaves the most post-grad opportunities on the other side of the fence.

The idea is you get 4 years to decide what you'll do after undergrad, and you'll come out with higher accreditation than trying to pursue your dream job right off the bat.

Of course you're betting a lot; if you suck in undergrad the game's up.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
androoz
Banned
+137|5232|United States

Pochsy wrote:

I'll say do what your good at, not what you think will earn cash as well. My plan involves post-grad, though; being poor and happy is stupid. Take a general degree that leaves most of the doors in your very general area (by which I mean choose between either science/math and the arts/social sciences). Psychology is surprisingly good for near all business/social science post-grad degrees, while chemistry leaves the most post-grad opportunities on the other side of the fence.

The idea is you get 4 years to decide what you'll do after undergrad, and you'll come out with higher accreditation than trying to pursue your dream job right off the bat.

Of course you're betting a lot; if you suck in undergrad the game's up.
thats true
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

I'd recommend a healthy dosage of manning the fuck up, and just see what happens.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6019|The Mitten

JohnG@lt wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

IDK, it's always been more of a hobby or side thing.
that's how it started for me, then i decided i didn't like calc 2 (or it didn't like me)...
4 years later I've (almost) got a degree I like, with a bunch of prospective jobs that sound like tons of fun.

tl:dr - Pick something fun and go for it. Make a career out of a hobby.
Good way to go through life as a whining liberal making $30k a year and wondering why your parents lied to you when they told you that you were a unique snowflake.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

in conclusion, people are different. Welcome to the real world.
EE (hats
jord
+2,382|6698|The North, beyond the wall.
Did you join the foreign legion yet or what

Sure, the uniforms are stupud, you're part of the French army and you can't buy a car or have any freedom for the first 5 years, but come on... They use a fucking FAMAS
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6687

ghettoperson wrote:

I'd recommend a healthy dosage of manning the fuck up, and just see what happens.
+1
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6561|Texas - Bigger than France
1. Figure out where you want to live
2. Figure out the largest employers in town
3. Figure out a job that interests you with the largest employers in town
4. Major in that
5. Get an internship with one of those employers
jamiecracker
+17|6767|Wollongong,Australia
whilst at college i would recomend getting laid alot, getting drunk alot and get a degree in something semi usefull. Creative writing is not as cool as you thought it would be.
Money may not be everything in this world but damn it sure helps.
Being an employer I look for exprience and then attitude in workers.
Something will come along. I didnt know what i wanted when i was in high school and then when I got knocked back for what i wanted to do at Uni I started working my arse off in a job that I didnt really like and now I own that company and love what I do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6125|eXtreme to the maX

jord wrote:

Did you join the foreign legion yet or what

Sure, the uniforms are stupud, you're part of the French army and you can't buy a car or have any freedom for the first 5 years, but come on... They use a fucking FAMAS
Good idea, join the military, then instead of having no objective in life your objective will be to avoid surprise buttsecks.

But really, if you don't know what to do better sit down and figure it out, some balance between what you're good at, what you enjoy and what gets you paid (laid follows from that).
If you still have no clue its still worth studying something with an intelligent content with wide application, maths, physics, geology - not creative writing or abstract art. Degrees are broad and shallow, providing its not complete BS it should be useful for something.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-03-10 01:16:10)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6736
If your family is loaded you have more options of what you want to pursue. If you have financial issues, well pick a job that you can make a shit ton of money and do it well.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6242|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

goddamn you're so patronising sometimes. Being an actor could be a rewarding career. A rewarding career could be anything to different people. I know people who are city lawyers who earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. Yeah they can provide for their family. No, they never see their family cos they're always in the fuckin office 15 hours a day - when they're not sleeping there as well. No, they're not very happy either.

It's bollocks to say you have to earn a lot of money to be happy.

If you're lucky you can find a job you love that also pays brilliantly, but most people have to choose one or the other. OR you can get a job that you really like that provides enough money to live comfortably. Which is surely the best solution.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5377|London, England

ruisleipa wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

goddamn you're so patronising sometimes. Being an actor could be a rewarding career. A rewarding career could be anything to different people. I know people who are city lawyers who earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. Yeah they can provide for their family. No, they never see their family cos they're always in the fuckin office 15 hours a day - when they're not sleeping there as well. No, they're not very happy either.

It's bollocks to say you have to earn a lot of money to be happy.

If you're lucky you can find a job you love that also pays brilliantly, but most people have to choose one or the other. OR you can get a job that you really like that provides enough money to live comfortably. Which is surely the best solution.
I never said you have to be a millionaire to be happy. You do, however, have to make a living wage where you aren't struggling to put food on the table. Acting is a one in a million shot. Excuse me for being realistic but I don't gamble, especially not with my life or that of my future family.

You have to balance what is important to you, time with family, friends, vacations etc, with the goal of not struggling through life. If you can make six figures doing something that doesn't make you want to jump from a high place then that is probably your best bet, not making $30k and juggling which bills you aren't going to pay this month. I'd rather be able to enjoy my time away from work and be able to go on vacation, buy the things I want and not necessarily need, and be able to send any future kids I have to private school. If work moderately sucks during the daytime so be it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6829|Nårvei

Money isn't everything but important enough to take into consideration when you try to figure out what you like to do ...

With huge amounts of cash comes longer days, more responcibility, less spare time, less family time ...

Sounds like you have the same feeling as most at that age Hurristick and like most I highly doubt you will "discover" yourself and "baam" wake up 
Wait behind the line ..............................................................

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard