FOCKING HELL
+241|5792|Roma
I'm using a 64bit windows xp.
And don't worry about the mac thing.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6775|Salt Lake City

Stubbee wrote:

as long as you are running a 64 bit OS no problem; otherwise your usable RAM will drop to 2.5GB from 3.0GB by upgrading to a 1GB video card.
That's not how it works.  A 32-bit OS has enough address spaces that total 4GB.  Even with a 1GB video card he would still have enough address space for 3GB of RAM, which is what he has.  There may be a very small loss below that for other computer items that need to map address space, but that would be minuscule at best.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5827|Catherine Black
You mean minuscule at WORST
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6782|Reality

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

as long as you are running a 64 bit OS no problem; otherwise your usable RAM will drop to 2.5GB from 3.0GB by upgrading to a 1GB video card.
That's not how it works.  A 32-bit OS has enough address spaces that total 4GB.  Even with a 1GB video card he would still have enough address space for 3GB of RAM, which is what he has.  There may be a very small loss below that for other computer items that need to map address space, but that would be minuscule at best.
wrong

there is about 500MB worth of reserved I/O besides the video card. Keyboard, mouse, DMA, PCIe, ethernet, modem, sound, floppy drive, HD, RAID and quite a few other system resources require I/O addresses.

I have 4GB installed but with a 256MB video card i had access to 3.25 GB.
I upgrade to a 512MB video card and now my system has access to 3.0 GB.

Last edited by Stubbee (2010-01-11 10:22:29)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6169|Carnoustie MASSIF

Stubbee wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

wrong

there is about 500MB worth of reserved I/O besides the video card. Keyboard, mouse, DMA, PCIe, ethernet, modem, sound and quite a few other system resources require I/O addresses.

Urgh, someone tell him what happens with 32bit OS please.
Stubbee
+223|6782|Reality

CammRobb wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

wrong

there is about 500MB worth of reserved I/O besides the video card. Keyboard, mouse, DMA, PCIe, ethernet, modem, sound and quite a few other system resources require I/O addresses.

hey big mouth
you tell me since you are so smart
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
CammRobb
Banned

Stubbee wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

wrong

hey big mouth
you tell me since you are so smart
hey small brain
No, since I don't know, but I know you're wrong.
Stubbee
+223|6782|Reality
ah you don't know but you know i am wrong.
Either prove I am wrong or GTFO
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6536

another reason why i <3 bf2s . . .
CammRobb
Banned

Stubbee wrote:

ah you don't know but you know i am wrong.
Either prove I am wrong or GTFO
Okay, give me half an hour once I come back from my break.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6775|Salt Lake City

I think you're up in the night on how much room is required for I/O and other functions.  I ran an XP system with a 512MB video card (8800GT) and 4GB of RAM, and still managed to have 3.15GB of usable RAM, and that included dual NICs, an X-fi sound card, and a 2-port RAID controller card, not to mention whatever else the system must have running.
Stubbee
+223|6782|Reality
@dung
ok if you had 3.15GB of usable RAM with a 512 MB video card and if you grab 1 GB card which is .5 GB more where do you think your system is going to find the I/O for it?

3.15-0.5 leaves you with 2.65GB usable RAM

while CammRobb is out shopping for Vagisil you can read any of the gazillion links here

4GB limitation 32 bit OS

some systems can use PAE but from everything I have read about it, it is a pain in the ass.

Last edited by Stubbee (2010-01-11 11:14:34)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6000|Places 'n such

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

^^Right answer...
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Stubbee
+223|6782|Reality

presidentsheep wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

^^Right answer...
Riiiiight.
Your proof?
Benzin
+576|6038
Geeze Stubb, if you're so adamant about being right and proving everyone wrong how about you go and look for the answer on a proper tech website? Quit talking about your e-penis and just slap the bitch on the table and show what's what. Or keep it in your pants, tucked between your legs. Fuck man, you guys are ruining a perfectly good thread with this childish BS.
CammRobb
Banned

CapnNismo wrote:

Geeze Stubb, if you're so adamant about being right and proving everyone wrong how about you go and look for the answer on a proper tech website? Quit talking about your e-penis and just slap the bitch on the table and show what's what. Or keep it in your pants, tucked between your legs. Fuck man, you guys are ruining a perfectly good thread with this childish BS.
+ FUCKING ONE.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6621|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I think you're up in the night on how much room is required for I/O and other functions.  I ran an XP system with a 512MB video card (8800GT) and 4GB of RAM, and still managed to have 3.15GB of usable RAM, and that included dual NICs, an X-fi sound card, and a 2-port RAID controller card, not to mention whatever else the system must have running.
It can be around 500MBs worth of IO address space. It depends how much hardware you've got.

As far as I'm aware the memory on video cards is not discretely mapped though, so all this bollocks he's spouting about a 1GB video card taking up 1GB of address space is total bullshit.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-01-11 12:41:07)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6000|Places 'n such

Stubbee wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

^^Right answer...
Riiiiight.
Your proof?
Fuck. I'll try to explain simply,
Old Card = Slow... Use more space than You think.
New Card = Fast! Use about what it say it does on tin.
Duh?

Dont believe everything the stats tell you. Tool.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6698|BC, Canada
aaaannnnyyywaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...
go with the 5770 for that price range.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6000|Places 'n such

Nic wrote:

aaaannnnyyywaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...
go with the 5770 for that price range.
This
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6775|Salt Lake City

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

It can be around 500MBs worth of IO address space. It depends how much hardware you've got.

As far as I'm aware the memory on video cards is not discretely mapped though, so all this bollocks he's spouting about a 1GB video card taking up 1GB of address space is total bullshit.
I realize what is installed can make a difference.  That's why I noted that I had a substantial amount of additional hardware installed, beyond that stuff integrated into the motherboard, and that used ~350MB, and that is probably an excess.  As far as the video card, I think it is discretely mapped into that address space, as even in 2D mode when only a fraction of video memory is used the available RAM appears to be missing.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6775|Salt Lake City

As for the OP, I see the 5770 as a very nice performing mid-range budget card.  I've got a 4850 and 4890 and couldn't be happier with the performance that both cards have given me.  I've had very little in the way of driver issues.  If I had any game glitches they were minor and I found that getting the latest drivers resolved the issue.

However, as noted, you are going to pay a premium for the version that is Mac compatible; and you will find that for just about everything relating to the Mac.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5827|Catherine Black
5770 slots nicely inbetween the 4870 and the 4890 for performance. Neither of the aforementioned do DX 11 though.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6621|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I realize what is installed can make a difference.  That's why I noted that I had a substantial amount of additional hardware installed, beyond that stuff integrated into the motherboard, and that used ~350MB, and that is probably an excess.  As far as the video card, I think it is discretely mapped into that address space, as even in 2D mode when only a fraction of video memory is used the available RAM appears to be missing.
I've checked this now. Video RAM is definitely not discretely mapped. A video card takes up the same amount of address space as any other device using the same slot. It is just the mapping of the number of lanes to the card.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard