Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6713|Tampa Bay Florida
Normally I'm not so anti-wild life and I love nature as much as the next guy but this is just getting out of hand.

Tampa Bay has over 3 million people living here and the peninsula I live on covers much of it and the city I live in has something around 300 thousand residents.  And its construction isd getting heavier every year. 

Last year a number of cats were found dead and chewed up and a number of coyotes have been spotted.  While my neighbor was gone I was looking after his 3 cats and one of them who is very shy would not come back into the house for 3 days.  After he got home he looked exstensively everywhere I had not, and he pieces of it chewed away in some bushes.  Needless to say I felt like shit even though there was not much more I could have done.

This year, one of the other cats was found chewed in half in my front yard and the last one had a slight leg problem and has been MIA for months.  Only a few weeks after that 2 loose pit bulls attacked an old lady in front of her retirement home just 2 blocks down the street and killed her small dog.  Luckily 2 construction workers were on break and managed to tie them up for when animal control came and got them.

My dad called animal control about the coyote problem (and there have been a number of local news articles about them) and it turns out since they are endangered, they can do nothing about them.  Even racoons can be captured and sent to exile on an island nearby where they have nice lives sneaking into peoples camping tents and going through trash cans for food.  A few years ago one was living in our attic and we rented a trap/cage and they came and took it off to the island.

Anyone else having similar stuff going on near them?  Our two cats luckily are pretty smart and come back home at night but I'm still pretty scared that one of them will end up dead.  Personally, I would not have such a problem with it if I lived out in the country but I find the fact that our fairly heavily populated city will do nothing about it (and we are forbidden from killing the coyotes, although that hasnt stopped people from walking around with sticks and baseball bats and golf clubs) pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, its definitely been on my mind and I needed somewhere to vent about it.  What says the people of BF2s?

Last edited by Spearhead (2009-08-14 12:21:21)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5774|شمال
wtf?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6336

There's plenty of wild animals in and around my house, but I live right beside a small forest. Sometimes you can hear the coyotes at night. I've never seen then during the day though and there've been no reports of domestic animals being attacked. Sounds like a real problem in Tampa
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5744|Gulf Coast

I live about an hour north of Tampa and when I first moved in my neighbor warned my not to let my cat out at night for that reason. I've been here for a few years and he really wasn't kidding. I don't let my cat out anyway so no big deal for me but some other neighbors are "missing" cats. Doesn't seem like a big problem tbh, maybe stop letting your cats out?
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6131|Birmingham, UK
Thankfully in England all i've got to worry about for my cats are cars and chavs when they go out on the streets instead of the gardens, but i don't understand your post, do you want the coyotes to be taken away?
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6592|Mountains of NC

endangered wtf? .... they encourge us to take care of that problem
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6713|Tampa Bay Florida

SEREVENT wrote:

do you want the coyotes to be taken away?
Pretty much.  With the amount of people in this area (the city wild life park is where they all come from) they really have no business being around here.  It is probably hurting their numbers more than helping, because of traffic, and other stuff.

PS I blame most of it on city planning... there are some pretty heavy woods that cover incredibly small areas and the rest of this place is filled with miles and miles of suburb and urban sprawl...

Last edited by Spearhead (2009-08-14 12:52:59)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6246|Escea

Get foxes in gardens here, never had one myself but they sometimes get into houses through the cat flaps/dog doors.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5609

Set traps, leave buckets of antifreeze all over.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6521

inb4kmarion

during winters here, and maybe early spring, we get deer and elk on the roads and hiways. summertime they stay higher up, but the snow will bring them down to peoples gardens.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6803|Great Brown North
we have a coyote, raccoon, and black bear problem atm

reason?

hippies bitching and whining about hunting... so politicians reduce the seasons and limit animals we can take even further.

and poof the populations exploded, bears are IN the cities at night tearing into dumpsters, coyotes will attack anything they feel they can kill (people included if there's a few of them) and deer are getting splattered on the roads at record numbers

i guess this is how nature "takes care" of itself huh?

only a matter of time before some kids get mauled by a bear, or dragged off by a coyote or two

call in professional hunters, your animal problems will be gone for a number of years
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6131|Birmingham, UK
Deer's get run over? By what? They're not exactly small
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6246|Escea

https://turboshit.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/moose-car-accident-2.jpg

Happens with Moose as well.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6803|Great Brown North
they're fuck near invisible on roads at night until you're on top of them

moose get hit as well, and that can kill you

SEREVENT wrote:

Deer's
deer   

Last edited by krazed (2009-08-14 13:13:38)

lettuce
site lurkerer
+26|6667|cheshire u.k

M.O.A.B wrote:

http://turboshit.files.wordpress.com/20 … dent-2.jpg

Happens with Moose as well.
OMFG!! that is awesome....
biggest thing i've ran over is a pidgeon.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England
He must've reversed into that moose! That or...the moose thought the car was a female moose
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6521

Mekstizzle wrote:

He must've reversed into that moose!
nope. that's what happens when you're doing 35-40 and hit a 1500 lb. animal. it went over and through the roof, ending there.
my grandfather was hauling 20 head of beef to the slaughterhouse, when he hit a deer on the road. dented the front end, and killed 17 of the twenty cattle. the sudden stop, even for a fraction of a second, was enough to snap their necks.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6246|Escea

https://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/0/2006/03/17/320x240/images_sizedimage_076181236.jpg

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England

burnzz wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

He must've reversed into that moose!
nope. that's what happens when you're doing 35-40 and hit a 1500 lb. animal. it went over and through the roof, ending there.
my grandfather was hauling 20 head of beef to the slaughterhouse, when he hit a deer on the road. dented the front end, and killed 17 of the twenty cattle. the sudden stop, even for a fraction of a second, was enough to snap their necks.
Well at least alot of money was saved for the slaughterhouse I guess..
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6592|Mountains of NC

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6246|Escea

https://reparent.blog.uvm.edu/images/funny-pictures-moose-cop.jpg
Bevo
Nah
+718|6545|Austin, Texas
Lots of coyotes here in austin. Wild pigs around lately too. Of course snakes, foxes, hawks w/e

though I'm not exactly "in" the city. The house, anyway.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6477|The Twilight Zone
A week ago when driving to work I saw a rabbit well I thought it was a rabbit but was actually roe deer. It seemed as she wanted to cross the road but got scared of roaring noises coming from my car. Well thank God to that otherwise I'd be eating meat for dinner again.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6469|EE Chat
I live right near the mountains (Southern California) so I see coyotes at least once a week, and a couple of mountain lions here and there. We have the same general problem as you, cats get chewed up all the time, but it is pretty much common knowledge here that you train your cats to come home when it gets dark. Mountain lions raped the shit out of a dog last week, its body was torn to pieces and it had no head. And then there is the whole other issue of rattlers. They bit way to many pets here. I think its all just the usual to us, so we don't think anything of it.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6553|Global Command
What ReddHedd said. A while back I saw a large mountain lion near some houses in Anaheim.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard