Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5598

Kmarion wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

So beside that whole constitution thing do you think it'd be reasonable to use the military to perform domestic raids?
Please elaborate.
To be honest.

What I am trying to say is, would it be reasonable to use the military to do raids in the U.S. if you think they can do a better job then the police.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6756|Reality
The thing is soldiers are trained to kill. Everybody else is trained to arrest. So no it would not be reasonable if  you want to keep to the core tenets of your society.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5624|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Red Forman wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Don't see why you need to, I thought the US had all sorts of stuff for domestic shit. Local police. SWAT. ATF. FBI. Homeland Security. I dunno, loads of shit. Unlike some other countries that don't have as many branches dedicated to domestic shit so the military gets called in more often than not
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
This tbh.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6424|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

The Bush administration in 2002 considered sending U.S. troops into a Buffalo, N.Y., suburb to arrest a group of terror suspects in what would have been a nearly unprecedented use of military power, The New York Times reported.

Vice President Dick Cheney and several other Bush advisers at the time strongly urged that the military be used to apprehend men who were suspected of plotting with al Qaida, who later became known as the Lackawanna Six, the Times reported on its Web site Friday night. It cited former administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The proposal advanced to at least one-high level administration meeting, before President George W. Bush decided against it.

Dispatching troops into the streets is virtually unheard of. The Constitution and various laws restrict the military from being used to conduct domestic raids and seize property.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/ap_ … estic_raid
So beside that whole constitution thing do you think it'd be reasonable to use the military to perform domestic raids?
Posse Comitatus

/thread

Bush couldn't have legally done it even if he wanted to.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6119|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

The proposal advanced to at least one-high level administration meeting, before President George W. Bush decided against it.
Interesting it got that far, and that Cheney was unfamiliar with such a well known law.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-07-28 04:56:43)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6735|Eastern PA

Red Forman wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

So Forman are you saying you don't need police, SWAT ATF etc because you have the armed forces? <--- police state here we come.

These people aren't enemies. They are criminals. Unless you think all criminals are enemies. If you do they have medication and therapy for that.
You need help dude.  They were terrorists.  I am NOT saying police can't handle it.  But, that is what we pay govt to do.  To debate these isuues and come to a decision.  Then they are held accountable for their decisions.  Worked perfect.  What's your problem?
By that reasoning the US gov't could have sent the 82nd after Tim McVeigh, Terry Nichols, or Eric Rudolph. Correct? They were terrorists after all.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5413

Masques wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

So Forman are you saying you don't need police, SWAT ATF etc because you have the armed forces? <--- police state here we come.

These people aren't enemies. They are criminals. Unless you think all criminals are enemies. If you do they have medication and therapy for that.
You need help dude.  They were terrorists.  I am NOT saying police can't handle it.  But, that is what we pay govt to do.  To debate these isuues and come to a decision.  Then they are held accountable for their decisions.  Worked perfect.  What's your problem?
By that reasoning the US gov't could have sent the 82nd after Tim McVeigh, Terry Nichols, or Eric Rudolph. Correct? They were terrorists after all.
Yes in theory I guess.  But, you have to remember THIS was not that long after 9/11.  I am sure you can understand that right?
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6749|Salt Lake City

If this is a federal case, wouldn't it have been the job of the FBI?
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6735|Eastern PA

Red Forman wrote:

Masques wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Yes in theory I guess.  But, you have to remember THIS was not that long after 9/11.  I am sure you can understand that right?
And that was not long after the OKC bombing (McVeigh and Nichols) and Khobar towers (though not carried out by Rudolph it occurred just before the Olympic Park bombings).

So, the question is still, would it have been reasonable for Pres. Clinton to deploy the military against those men in particular and against domestic terrorists generally?

This is not a hypothetical "what if the Christian Identity nuts took over Idaho" type of thing, but rather, would it have been a reasonable course of action given level of terrorism at the time?
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5413
What are you asking me for?  I am not a lawyer or an expert on the constitution and powers of the President.  The government debated this, and came to a decision.  They did the right hing and government surprisingly worked out good on this one.

I know we used troops to partol the streets after Katrina.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-07-29 11:26:46)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6581|Mountains of NC

hello Waco

if they needed help then theres the guard but 6 guys .... local PD can handle it
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6735|Eastern PA

Red Forman wrote:

What are you asking me for?  I am not a lawyer or an expert on the constitution and powers of the President.  The government debated this, and came to a decision.  They did the right hing and government surprisingly worked out good on this one.

I know we used troops to partol the streets after Katrina.
I'm just trying to get your opinion on the matter.

And the NG was used during Katrina, not active duty military, as was proposed to apprehend those guys in Buffalo.
FEOS
+1,182|6424|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Interesting it got that far, and that Cheney was unfamiliar with such a well known law.
It's not surprising, tbh. Politicians truly have little awareness of the various aspects of US Code that apply to many activities...even though PC is a pretty significant legal concept.

I would guess that it got that far because, under certain extreme circumstances, the US military can be used on US soil...but this situation is pretty fucking far from those circumstances. Wouldn't surprise me if some of those knuckleheads tried to convince themselves they could sell it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6337|New Haven, CT

nickb64 wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Don't see why you need to, I thought the US had all sorts of stuff for domestic shit. Local police. SWAT. ATF. FBI. Homeland Security. I dunno, loads of shit. Unlike some other countries that don't have as many branches dedicated to domestic shit so the military gets called in more often than not
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
This tbh.
Like, say, a Vice-President trampling on it?
FEOS
+1,182|6424|'Murka

nukchebi0 wrote:

nickb64 wrote:

Red Forman wrote:

This tbh.
Like, say, a Vice-President trampling on it?
The VEEP doesn't take the Oath of Enlistment.
― Albert Einstein

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6337|New Haven, CT
Oh, lel. I was not really reading the oath, and mistook it for the presidential oath. With that said, the same concept about protecting the constitution does apply to the President (implicit in his oath), which was my initial point.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-07-31 03:59:50)

FEOS
+1,182|6424|'Murka

nukchebi0 wrote:

Oh, lel. I was not really reading the oath, and mistook it for the presidential oath. With that said, the same concept about protecting the constitution does apply to the President (implicit in his oath), which was my initial point.
I know.

Just yankin yer chain...so to speak.
― Albert Einstein

Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5609|Vacationland
I wish he had, then we could have impeached him and shortened his reign of terror.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard