USARANGER01
+35|6674|America
so i just graduated this past week, and iv been on the search for a good laptop for college. i will be majoring in mechanical engineering at WPI, and maybe getting a minor in animation or interactive media and game design. so basically, i will need a computer that can handle a good amount of stuff. im planning on using it for AutoCAD and 3d Studio max, and maybe a bit of video editing and possibly some games (although gaming will be an afterthought- i do not want to make any decisions based on gaming)
long story short: im looking at the $1000 and a bit up range, dont really want to go far over that. i need good power and a decent monitor. battery life isnt that important, because i would think i would use it mostly when it is plugged in. and finally, WPI requires that all laptops must have vista premium or business, so any advice on buying those or upgrading is also appreciated.

these are some of the ones i have been looking at on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834114623

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834220483

maybe on the higher price scale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834117886

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834117857

any advice? or suggestions of other laptops?
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5955|NY/CT
you're going to hear alot of lenovo
(out of the choices i like the asus though)
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6544|Montucky
I've got The Asus G50.  The only problem is the shitty battery life, but that was to be expected buying a gaming laptop.

Nice features, you can turn on and off the fancy blue lights'n'shit.

Overclock on the go.

and not alot of bloatware.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6593|NYC / Hamburg

Lenovo R500
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6223|Winland

max wrote:

Lenovo R500
+1
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Computer_Guy
+54|6723

S3v3N wrote:

I've got The Asus G50.  The only problem is the shitty battery life, but that was to be expected buying a gaming laptop.

Nice features, you can turn on and off the fancy blue lights'n'shit.

Overclock on the go.

and not alot of bloatware.
Actually, i also have an asus and the battery life is awesome. You just have to know when to adjust the power settings, cause if you leave it on high performance while using the battery, you kill the life. If you use leave it on entertainment mode or a mode that uses even less power then the life is prolonged. I have had my asus for a year and ive been doing that and my battery still lasts 3 and a half hours.
USARANGER01
+35|6674|America
alright so i was looking at the site for the lenovo R500 and i think its pretty sweet. i customized one with:
-Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2)
-Vista Ultimate
-4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory
-15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050)
-Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD 
-250GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
-CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24x/24x/24x/8x Max Combo Ultrabay Enhanced 
for like $1,199

my only complaint is that i think it looks a bit ugly haha. but i could probably live with that. now how does this compare with the Asus?

and also, im just curious as to why everyone picked the Lenovo R500. good prices? good warrenty? good options?
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6165|New Jersey
The Lenovo is a good laptop, but since you're a geek who will be studying engineering at a full-blown engineering school like WPI, I would recommend you go all out and get something like the Asus G50.  Sure it will be hot and heavy, but personally that's a price I'm willing to pay when it comes to buying a laptop.

If you do want something more portable, Lenovo is a good choice.  Just don't buy an Acer.

Last edited by SpIk3y (2009-06-08 20:09:14)

USARANGER01
+35|6674|America
alright i think iv decided to go with the Asus. i think it looks much better, and it has a few other good features (like 320 GB instead of 250 GB, webcam, cool looks) that would have cost most on the lenovo. i just have to call the college to figure out exactly about the OS, but that shouldnt be a problem. thanks for the help guys!
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6658

lenovos are sexy
USARANGER01
+35|6674|America
quick question, because my parents are wondering: is asus a reliable brand name? hows is their customer service?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6479|The Twilight Zone

USARANGER01 wrote:

quick question, because my parents are wondering: is asus a reliable brand name? hows is their customer service?
their customer service sucked for me, they even deleted a perfectly legit thread I made ( I had a black screen issue, lots of people were having it with Asus mobos so I made a thread there but no real solution was found by their tech support). They have good products, mobos mostly but there are a lot of issues with their soundcards.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6440|Finland

Gooners wrote:

lenovos are sexy
QFT My brother got an over 2k€ worth Lenovo for free and its pure kickass

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-09 12:53:05)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6658

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Gooners wrote:

lenovos are sexy
QFT My brother got an over 2k€ worth Lenovo for free and its pure kickass
epic

i'm using a t42 from years ago, and its quite thin, and runs fabulously
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6165|New Jersey
Asus is one of my favorite brands, right up there with EVGA.  As far as my experience goes, Asus is great.  I've never had to use their customer service because I've never had a problem with any of their products.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard