Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada
I like it here in Canada... I break my arm... I roll in and get it bandaged up, I walk out and what ev... you should try it. It really isn't the end of the world and I really don't spend half my paycheck in taxes...
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6696|Disaster Free Zone
He can speak, thats for sure. But he didn't say one thing about what these 'reforms' are.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6673|BC, Canada

DrunkFace wrote:

He can speak, thats for sure. But he didn't say one thing about what these 'reforms' are.
i did notice that.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

That's because the debate has not begun. He is just updating us on what is going to be going on. The weekly address is to tell us what Washington is currently focusing on. It's been all over the news.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06 … alth.care/

The first public outlines of a bill could be unveiled within the next week. The Senate Finance and Health, Education and Labor panels are trying to pass measures by the end of the month. Obama has asked both the House and Senate to act before their August recess.

The White House and Democrats are trying to build momentum that will help overcome the huge obstacles and many interest groups that could derail the major overhaul they envision.

In a conference call last week with volunteers for Organizing For America, the president tried to rally supporters by reiterating the economic costs the administration has emphasized: Americans now spend more on health care than food or housing, health care costs have doubled in the past decade, and fixing it will greatly improve the nation's fiscal situation.

"I think the status quo is unacceptable and that we've got to get it done this year. If we don't get it done this year, we're not going to get it done," Obama said. Listen to the call

The White House is leaving the drafting of specific bills to Congress, although administration officials are in close contact with members and their aides.

The president weighed in with a letter this week to key Senate committee Chairmen Edward Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, and Max Baucus, D-Montana. Obama supported the idea of requiring all Americans to acquire health insurance and of offering a new government insurance option, one of the most contentious elements, as many Republicans have said they oppose that concept.
Health Care was one of Obama's biggest priorities during the campaign. He is now starting to dig into it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

at least we have a great lakes czar in the meantime...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

usmarine wrote:

at least we have a great lakes czar in the meantime...
iknowwtf
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6679|NT, like Mick Dundee

You would think he'd hold off at least until the budget deficit was back under control. Fuck me after 8 years of crazy spending by Bush and then Obama's own rather massive shopping spree you would think another expensive project would be off the books for a while.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

Well.. also consider they break in a couple months too. mmyeah.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AutralianChainsaw
+65|6213

Nic wrote:

I like it here in Canada... I break my arm... I roll in and get it bandaged up, I walk out and what ev... you should try it. It really isn't the end of the world and I really don't spend half my paycheck in taxes...
Depend how much you earn per year.

I give almost half of my income to the goverment every year and i give another 15% in taxes on everything i buy during the year with the remaining money.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6483
Personally I'd rather pay the government, who want to keep me working, than pay an insurance company, who just want my money.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

who in their right fucking mind would want the govt to run your health care?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6563|San Diego, CA, USA
Lord Obama, the merciful will fuck this up like he fucked up GM and Chrysler.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6696|Disaster Free Zone

usmarine wrote:

who in their right fucking mind would want the govt a corporation that profits off you being sick run your health care?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

DrunkFace wrote:

usmarine wrote:

who in their right fucking mind would want the govt a corporation that profits off you being sick run your health care?
erm...whats the difference?  now the govt would profit.  yay.  at least this way i make my own fucking choices.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6419|North Carolina

usmarine wrote:

It works pretty well for France and Norway.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

apples and oranges
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

apples and oranges
While it is true that Norway is much, much smaller than us, that doesn't mean we can't learn certain things from their successes.  The same goes for France.

France is actually more comparable to us.  Even at 1/5th of our size, they are large and diverse enough to parallel with our circumstances.  They even have an illegal immigration problem comparable to ours.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

i dont see your point.  we have free health care already.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine wrote:

i dont see your point.  we have free health care already.
...to a much lesser degree.

You can go to the ER and get served without paying up, but that's only "free" due to the Hippocratic Oath.  It's not exactly a good thing for your credit rating either.

There are state programs that Kmarion has posted before, but all of those are far less comprehensive than a national system would be.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

id rather pay for mine the way it is, since i will be paying anyway.  i dont understand why you all cant get this?  we will still pay...prolly more, and have less choices.  the ones who get it free now will still get it free.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine wrote:

id rather pay for mine the way it is, since i will be paying anyway.  i dont understand why you all cant get this?  we will still pay...prolly more, and have less choices.  the ones who get it free now will still get it free.
It's a matter of flexibility.  Economies of scale make socialized medicine more adaptable to unexpected costs.  If you can assume that a certain amount of people will show up that don't pay into the system, the only way to keep costs from skyrocketing is to have a constant cash flow.  This is why drugs cost a lot less when the government negotiates with pharmaceutical companies.  This is why a tax-funded system is easier to manage and maintain than one dependent on the willingness of individuals paying.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

i dont see our boneheads running it like that.  theory is an awesome system.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine wrote:

i dont see our boneheads running it like that.  theory is an awesome system.
Well, admittedly, our government does seem more incompetent than certain others when it comes to certain things, so I see where you're coming from.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6514|so randum
just a quick figure;

The average cost per person p/a for the NHS on paper (expenditure/population) is about £1500.

reality, it's probably about half, 2/3rds that with donations and whatnot.

So lets be conservative and call it £1000.

Me as an example, in the past two years i've had 3 new sets of front teeth, and major surgery on a hand. and i'd say i'm an average UK citizen. So (if i was paying taxes) it'd have cost me (private) £4500 on the teeth, and fuck knows how much on the hand.

so NHS (maybe) saves me £1.25k

edit

oh, and our governments seem to run it like a sieve.

Last edited by FatherTed (2009-06-06 09:31:28)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard