']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5854
A friend of mine is in need for a card for 3d modelling,  his budget is around 400 euro. Now there are really good cards on the market for this but those cost a few thousand euro. That's to much.

I don't know about the specs of his current machine, but he said he'd give them to me tomorrow.

annnddd go
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6884|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Depends on what he's working with. If it's limited poly models for games and such, a 8800GT should be fine.
Benzin
+576|6039
Why not SLi or Cross Fire a pair of cards?

But I can't imagine he needs that much. I've seen people at my university doing work (dont know the program they were using, though) on 3D models on generic looking laptops (not Macs). But I think if a normal video card wouldn't cut it, you can always double up.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2009-05-03 12:24:41)

Wallpaper
+303|6034|The pool
Cant you just take a normal nVidia card that has a workstation twin and flash its BIOS to the workstation card to get the same thing?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6237|Winland

Any normal end-user card will do. "Workstation" cards are in most cases just a relic from the time when shaders weren't unified. The only thing some "workstation" cards have over others is huge amounts of memory.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6622|SE London

Whatever you do, DON'T but a workstation card! (or buy even)

Very doubtlful they'll need anything remotely high end. Just make sure it supports lots of shiny new technologies and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-05-03 16:03:56)

motherdear
+25|6692|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
okay since i know something about this i'm gonna help ya with this, first of all i need to know what kind of modeling he does, is it high poly, scenes, single assets, modeling for games or models for the portfolio or for high poly art.  the lot ya know.   i work with it myself and i can tell you that as soon as you reach 200.000 tris it's gonna lag and render times are gonna be a bitch, basicly the more powerfull the card the better but it all depends on the task and the complexity of the models. i can get along with my current laptop card which is a 9650 gt and that is gonna be good for a little while with the kind of tasks that i do (game models etc) but if anything like rendering of scenes and similar you will want to have a 8800 or 9800.

basicly if you can give us a bit more info it would be great, or just send me a pm and i'll help ya.

and oh yeah if you want a good feedback from people that would know all this go on game-artist.net and make an account and ask them because they will absolutely have a clue about what's right and what's wrong to buy.

Last edited by motherdear (2009-05-03 14:05:15)

GR34
+215|6585|ALBERTA> CANADA
4650?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6756
What CPU does he use?   Rendering in 3dmax uses the cpu more than the gpu... the gpu is for viewing the models and scenes in the viewport...
I use 3dmax9 with an x800xl/p4 3.2/2 gb of ram... and i rarely have crashes if at all... rendering can take awhile...

I am actually putting together the parts today for a new comp...to use for graphics/3d and some games... a q9400/8800gtx/4gb/gigabyte moboard and hope to see much better rendering speed...

The workstation cards are kind of a scam... they say that they have better driver support... but you throw a 4850/4870 ati or 9800gtx for less than 200 bucks and you will have as good or better performance than a way overpriced workstation card...  good luck either way...

great info on why workstation cards aren't necessary anymore
http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/foru … P10/#48487

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-05-03 17:16:23)

Love is the answer

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard