Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6206|Ireland

FEOS wrote:

ATG wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Hyperbole much?
I hope to look like an ass for my worry.

We are somewhat overdue for a rather nasty die off from this sort of thing.
Fact.
I think that based on the fact that the only deaths have been in Mexico and all cases thus far north of the border have been rather slight--even in comparison to standard flu--it's a bit too early to call out the catastrophe club.
They don't go to the hospital in mexico, thus they die.  Wait until the hospitals get pluged in the US and you will see deaths.  It is already hard to get into the hospitals without entire classes of children coming down ill.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6017|Truthistan
The latest news, their getting the Tamiflu ready
US declares public health emergency for swine flu
"five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas."
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6433|'Murka

Lotta_Drool wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ATG wrote:

I hope to look like an ass for my worry.

We are somewhat overdue for a rather nasty die off from this sort of thing.
Fact.
I think that based on the fact that the only deaths have been in Mexico and all cases thus far north of the border have been rather slight--even in comparison to standard flu--it's a bit too early to call out the catastrophe club.
They don't go to the hospital in mexico, thus they die.  Wait until the hospitals get pluged in the US and you will see deaths.  It is already hard to get into the hospitals without entire classes of children coming down ill.
You're saying this based on 8 kids in one school, all but one of whom when to Cancun for Spring Break (and thus caught the flu)? And none of those kids went to the hospital, IIRC.

And this:

NYT wrote:

However, as experts note, in 1918 there was no Tamiflu, no antibiotics to fight pneumonia, and no powered ventilators.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6017|Truthistan

FEOS wrote:

NYT wrote:

However, as experts note, in 1918 there was .
1918 = Mexico today for the Mexican poor = no Tamiflu, no antibiotics to fight pneumonia, and no powered ventilators = 7% fatality

People in the US will fair better even if this is a huge outbreak
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6175|what

Diesel_dyk wrote:

FEOS wrote:

NYT wrote:

However, as experts note, in 1918 there was .
1918 = Mexico today for the Mexican poor = no Tamiflu, no antibiotics to fight pneumonia, and no powered ventilators = 7% fatality

Not if the virus mutates and adapts, which is the biggest fear of authorities. If you have a huge outbreak you are likely to see the virus evolve.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6687|NT, like Mick Dundee

AussieReaper wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Not if the virus mutates and adapts, which is the biggest fear of authorities. If you have a huge outbreak you are likely to see the virus evolve.
Then shit gets real.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6404|the land of bourbon

AP wrote:

Federal health officials declared a public health emergency in order to free up 12.5 million doses of antiviral medication to help treat the disease, which has now infected 20 people in five states. No deaths have been reported in the United States.

In Mexico, where the outbreak originated, nearly 90 people have died and thousands have fallen ill in the last few weeks.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Diesel_dyk wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

oh no... I slept with a pig last night... and i have a terrible cought today....lol
according to the news... The US cases are mild and the Mexican ones are more severe...weird?
Its supposed to have originated from California. May be the California strain was mild and it went down to Mexico and mutated.

May be a guy who did birds hooked up with a guy who did swine... I'm just saying
Have you ever been to Mexico city? It wouldn't surprise me that it turned into something far worse.

Diesel_dyk wrote:

The world bank just gave Mexico 205 million in loans to fight it. I'm sure that won't go anywhere it's not supposed too.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command
From a good rl friend of mine tonight , a mentor of sorts, who lives South of Mexico City.

Re:you okay?
By far the greatest effect of such things are to those who what the news and clutter up their mind with things. The average idiot is immortal and has all the time to waste in the world to fill his head with useless drama which blinds one to our reality in seen in the silence of the moment. The average person perfers to not confront his own death as a reality, because most people are living in ways that damage their spirits, and know that upon facing death that they are going to feel regret for not living and enjoying life responsibly in the moment as our spirits dictate. I am sure that 1000 people die in Mexico every day for more mundane causes. As usual a tempest in a teapot with insinuations of importance and drama, set to distract us from breaking away from the television and walking outside to enjoy the sunshine, grass, fresh air, birds, etc.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6383|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
There was a confirmed case in Elyria, Ohio, which is about a 45 minute drive from me, oh noes!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6654|Finland

The first confirmed case hits Europe in Spain. Swedens suspects that it might have landed there aswell.

Finland has prepared medication for 1,2 million people.
I need around tree fiddy.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6564|Texas - Bigger than France

Diesel_dyk wrote:

"five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas."
I have a little trouble thinking this isn't media sensationalism.

History - AIDS, SARS, bird flu

The other issue is we had 20 cases in the US so far.  Of those 20, one of those cases HAD to go to the hospital.

Compare this with the regular flu which millions get sick and a hundreds of thousands die...every year.
beerface702
+65|6715|las vegas
Even with modern antiviral and antibacterial drugs, vaccines, and prevention knowledge, the return of a pandemic virus equivalent in pathogenicity to the virus of 1918 would likely kill >100 million people worldwide. A pandemic virus with the (alleged) pathogenic potential of some recent H5N1 outbreaks could cause substantially more deaths.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no01/05-0979.htm
beerface702
+65|6715|las vegas
my sister is very ill with flu symptoms. She is calling in today, I told her over the phone last night she should get to the doctor..but she is stubborn.

Who knows if she has swine flu or not. But her fever is about 103, body aches, she was vomitting..

I need to give her a call today
FEOS
+1,182|6433|'Murka

Pug wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

I have a little trouble thinking this isn't media sensationalism.

History - AIDS, SARS, bird flu

The other issue is we had 20 cases in the US so far.  Of those 20, one of those cases HAD to go to the hospital.

Compare this with the regular flu which millions get sick and a hundreds of thousands die...every year.
Stop with the sense-making and fact-using.

That doesn't help the media spin machine one bit.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

One person dies every 30 seconds from malaria.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6564|Texas - Bigger than France
Mexico City earthquake over lunch today.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6718|NJ
Haha, it's playing out almost exactly like how we(Americans) took the land from the Indians(feather not dot). 

First they came bearing gifts(cheap labor).
Then we let more of them, you know for the cheap labor..

Then they bring Sickness, and take over..
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6665|England
Kez
+778|5725|London, UK
The scale's gone up to Level 4
beerface702
+65|6715|las vegas
WHO raised alert level to 4 out of 6

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

things picking up.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_in … index.html
FEOS
+1,182|6433|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

FEOS wrote:

And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

The only thing that might be negatively affected by a mutated virus would be Tamiflu's efficacy. The others have nothing whatsoever to do with the nature of the flu virus, as they treat the symptoms or conditions secondary to the flu infection.
― Albert Einstein

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Kptk92 wrote:

The scale's gone up to Level 4
We were already there .. in terms of readiness/anticipation.

On average 480 ppl have died from Malaria since my last post.. they were poor though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kez
+778|5725|London, UK
So how comes nobody from the USA has died or how come the UK cases are actually getting better in hospital? Is it just Mexico and a lack of medication or they weren't prepared for something so sudden?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Kptk92 wrote:

So how comes nobody from the USA has died or how come the UK cases are actually getting better in hospital? Is it just Mexico and a lack of medication or they weren't prepared for something so sudden?
Mexico is Third World. They are not equipped to handle this. They have acquired a number of loans (in the hundreds of millions) to fight it though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard