HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5533|Bolingbrook, Illinois
Hey guys.  Do you know of any good RTS games?  I miss playing Age of Empires 5 years ago, and want to try something new that's like it.  I don't care about the time period, just the quality of the game.  But nothing like WiC, I like building stuff and then advancing, just like Age of Empries or Age of Mythology did.
Brasso
+1,549|6680

if you want a real RTS like the original AoE, look at starcraft.  but if you want the advancing shit too, you can look at rise of nations, rise of legends, AoE II, and AoE III (which imo sucked).
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
firebolt5
+114|6204
I guess Company of Heroes and Command and Conquer 3
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6549|so randum
AOE2 = Best RTS ever.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6714|NT, like Mick Dundee

FatherTed wrote:

AOE2 = Best RTS ever.
Starcraft > AoE.

You want a good RTS though? Dawn of War/CoH aren't bad. Maybe wait for SC2.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Brasso
+1,549|6680

firebolt5 wrote:

I guess Company of Heroes and Command and Conquer 3
good luck finding the advancing mechanic
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mugen
+19|6048
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance or (my favorite) Homeworld 2 with the "Complex Mod"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6821|PNW

HaiBai wrote:

Hey guys.  Do you know of any good RTS games?  I miss playing Age of Empires 5 years ago, and want to try something new that's like it.  I don't care about the time period, just the quality of the game.  But nothing like WiC, I like building stuff and then advancing, just like Age of Empries or Age of Mythology did.
1) The Total War series is worth a shot, even if it plays a bit different than AoE.
2) Have you played AoE 3 and its expansions?
3) Warcraft 1/2/3, Starcraft and the upcoming Starcraft 2 are worth a look.
4) 'Command & Conquer: The First Decade' ($20); C&C3 + Expansion, C&C RA3 + Expansion; all valid games even if they don't make everyone happy. And the music is all golden.
5) Company of Heroes Gold (game + exp) + Tales of Valor, Dawn of War Platinum (game + exp 1 & 2) + Soulstorm are good choices. CoH is a bit more limited in base building, but is still fun. Also check out DoW 2. Base building is fairly restricted, but it's fun enough.
6) Star Trek Armada 2 ...easily one of the most fun RTS's I've ever played
7) Ground Control 1 (free) and 2. I don't remember much about the bases, but they were fun RTS's. You could even jump into a multiplayer match in mid-game.
8) If you can run it, Supreme Commander is a good title.
9) Ascendancy is a bit of a different animal, but always fun.
10) To imagine Space Colony, cross Sims with a brutal alien invasion.
11) Homeworld 1.
12) Battle for Middle Earth comes in a big package with the first and second games and expansion. The first game can be a bit plodding, but the second one lets you build up walls and forts.
13) Stronghold 2 and the Settlers series.
14) Overlord is more action than RTS, but you still command an army of goblins.
15) Spellforce isn't bad.
16) If you like RPG's, Silverfall's scenery and architecture changes depending on if you side with naturalism or technology.
17) A somewhat rare title, I of the Dragon is worth a look.
18) Dungeon Keeper 2. By this point, realize that this list isn't in order of importance.  DK2 was legendary win.
Fallschirmjager10
+36|6510
Company of Heroes, best rts ever. Nice campaign and the multiplayer is amazing
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6561|Gold Coast

Fallschirmjager10 wrote:

Company of Heroes, best rts ever. Nice campaign and the multiplayer is amazing
QFT

CoH has me hooked on skirmish matches. Brilliant gameplay and brilliant settings/graphics whatnot.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6756|67.222.138.85
CoH is not AoE. I prefer it vastly, but if he's looking for an AoE type game CoH is not a good call.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6202|what

Dark Reign
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Tr0n.
+7|6028|Seattle/Ellensburg, WA
Total Annihilation, came out around the same time as Star Craft but I like it more
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6488|King Of The Islands

AussieReaper wrote:

Dark Reign
KKnD
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6489|Brisbane, Australia

Cheez wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Dark Reign
KKnD
Haha, I remember both of them.

KKnD was one weird game.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
GR34
+215|6594|ALBERTA> CANADA
Empire Total war is win. its RTS and turn based u can build stuff advance in tech and advance on other nations and crush them with your technological might
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6488|King Of The Islands

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Cheez wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Dark Reign
KKnD
Haha, I remember both of them.

KKnD was one weird game.
Both Australian tbqfh.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Dookie0119
+43|5827
Comand and Conquer
Company of Heroes
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5837|Catherine Black
I fucking loved KKnD. Back when Voodoo 3d cards were the GTX295s.

IMO AoE1 > AoE3 > AoE2

But they're all fucking good.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
firebolt5
+114|6204
Well, if he liked Age of Empires, then he should try Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.  It's exactly like AoE because it's built on the AoE engine, except SWGB has lasers and space ships.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6615|England

If you liked Age of Empires...try Cossacks. Take AOE and scale it up by 100. Formations of 192 Grenadiers, 192 Muskateers, 192 Pikemen, 80 (?) Cavalry all supported by a handful of Cannons and Howitzers...thats a medium scale battle. Battles usually result in 1000's of units...

Oh, and lets not forget the naval forces either. Never got to play the 2nd one, but the 1st was one fucking epic game. Even by todays standards, the graphics are really good.
jsnipy
+3,276|6572|...

warzone2100
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5533|Bolingbrook, Illinois

firebolt5 wrote:

Well, if he liked Age of Empires, then he should try Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.  It's exactly like AoE because it's built on the AoE engine, except SWGB has lasers and space ships.
Yeah, I already beat that one too, lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm gonna have to look through these.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6549|so randum
AOE2 or Cossacks. RA2 as well.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6815|UK
basically what unamednewbie said + dark reign and empire earth II

O and dungeon keeper 2 = epic win.