Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6761|Singapore
Currently taking up lessons on automotive mechanics. Only know how to do basics like tyre changing/ EO changing and etc. The other mechanics in the shop knows how to change a timing belt which is it considered hard? Are there any tips in improving? Reading up the parts and etc?
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6349|Orrstrayleea
Theres an Aussie apprentice on here, I'm fairly sure its Nappy.

I learnt to change a tyre when i was 12
Air filters are easy, oil filters take a bit of fucking with, anything is easy with practice. It would help if you had a piece of shit car in your shed you can pull apart and put back together to learn off
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6708|Disaster Free Zone
Timing belts aren't that hard. You Just need the right tools and a fair amount of time.

When I helped my Dad change the timing belt on our car we had to remove half the engine just to get to it, but the actual belt change was pretty simple.

To learn, your best bet is hands on experience. Watching other people who know what they are doing and maybe buying a really cheap car and just playing around with the engine to see how shit works/goes together.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-03-10 05:01:40)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6761|Singapore

~FuzZz~ wrote:

Theres an Aussie apprentice on here, I'm fairly sure its Nappy.

I learnt to change a tyre when i was 12
Air filters are easy, oil filters take a bit of fucking with, anything is easy with practice. It would help if you had a piece of shit car in your shed you can pull apart and put back together to learn off
I agree. Oil filters dirty my hand with the used EO haha. Sadly, i dont have a car in my shed=(
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6837|Nårvei

Ayumiz wrote:

Currently taking up lessons on automotive mechanics. Only know how to do basics like tyre changing/ EO changing and etc. The other mechanics in the shop knows how to change a timing belt which is it considered hard? Are there any tips in improving? Reading up the parts and etc?
Just work with an experienced mechanic ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6286|B.C. Canada
I was going to be a mechanic like my dad but right after highschool I got a job with a plumbing company and made good money with them. 2 years later I started to really hate my job because it was really boring so now I am doing a life long dream and joining the military.
Anyway. I can do all the basics (tire change/rotation, oil/filter/airfilter/fuelfilter, etc.....). I can also do things like change exhaust right from the header (took a few "TRIAL AND ERROR"), fuel pumps on trucks, alternators and some minor electrical. I learnt how to do everything on my own pretty much. I used to have a 87 ford ranger and I would take it off roading alot.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6008|Toronto
Yeah, if you want to learn to fix your car, try stuff. If it breaks, pay for someone to show you how to fix it. I've read a bunch of books, real good for theory, then I went and tried it on my car. It still holds. Try getting a job at a dealership or a shop, see how the ropes are, then learn them. Good luck!
I like pie.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6659|949

Reciprocity is a mechanic, ask him.

http://forums.bf2s.com/profile.php?id=16904
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5777|شمال

Varegg wrote:

+timing belt is not an easy job, specially not on a v8 where there is no space for anything!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
VicktorVauhn
+319|6419|Southern California

Beduin wrote:

Varegg wrote:

+timing belt is not an easy job, specially not on a v8 where there is no space for anything!
In theory its not hard... in fact, if you learn how a car operates nothing is hard... in theory.

Remove and replacing any part isn't really what will ever be hard. It can be frustrating as hell, especially with out the proper tool, but its all just parts bolted together. Righty tighty lefty loosy and the part comes off. There is an appreciable amount of skill in knowing how and went to apply what tool, and how to fix your mistakes... but by and large the REALLY hard part is learning how to understand the systems of a car well enough to efficiently narrow down problems to their root cause with the proper tests.

Parts changing really only takes so much. Learn theory on why cars work and what is going on with each subsystem. Look for local community college classes, they can be cheap and real good. After that its just experience.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6759|St. Andrews / Oslo

I think Christbane is a mechanic, not sure though.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Beduin
+510|5777|شمال

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Varegg wrote:

In theory its not hard... in fact, if you learn how a car operates nothing is hard... in theory.
I agree. I am sure you have tried it many times, so you know it is easy practically?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
VicktorVauhn

Beduin wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Beduin wrote:

I agree. I am sure you have tried it many times, so you know it is easy practically?
I took classes from Toyota on rebuilding engines, transmissions, on suspension work, emissions controlls, and general stuff.

Engines/Transmissions out of the car (and ones that were regularly disassembled so that no parts were rusted shut) WERE fucking cake... keep track of your parts (ESPECIALLY on automatics lol)and there is nothing to it... just changing parts.

But like I said, in a car thats been on the road for the past 20 years can definitely be another story... Though its amazing how much of the troubles there can be eliminated by just having the right tool. Most of the challenge there is simply stock piling tools, and learning what to do in a certain situation.

Still not particularly "hard" when it comes to REALLY learning how to diagnose random problems. That is really where the skill/knowledge and as a result, pay of being a good mechanic comes in.
DaRkAcE
+6|6226
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that hard part is narrowing down the problem. That and when stuff goes wrong, ie you break a bolt, stuff like that.

Just go out and grab a repair manual for the car, pick the easy stuff first, read how its done. Hell my dad was an airplane mechanic and he still uses the manual for his cars. Just go out and get one, read through it, and go do it. If you have the money, go buy a beater and just screw around with it. Take things apart and put it back together, easiest way to learn how to do something is to do it..That's how I've always learned.
Beduin
+510|5777|شمال

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Beduin wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

I took classes from Toyota on rebuilding engines, transmissions, on suspension work, emissions controlls, and general stuff.

Engines/Transmissions out of the car (and ones that were regularly disassembled so that no parts were rusted shut) WERE fucking cake... keep track of your parts (ESPECIALLY on automatics lol)and there is nothing to it... just changing parts.

But like I said, in a car thats been on the road for the past 20 years can definitely be another story... Though its amazing how much of the troubles there can be eliminated by just having the right tool. Most of the challenge there is simply stock piling tools, and learning what to do in a certain situation.

Still not particularly "hard" when it comes to REALLY learning how to diagnose random problems. That is really where the skill/knowledge and as a result, pay of being a good mechanic comes in.
I totally agree.
Having lessons back in school was not the same as being at work.

At work, I used to hate replacing timing belts, knowing a pile of other cars waiting for me. And magically as you say, having the right tools and the "know how" things used to go smooth. Sometimes it took long time for practical reasons, specially adjusting the valves afterwards in some engines. We used to place a coin vertically on the engine to test how the engine runs
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Stimey
­
+786|6147|Ontario | Canada
I've been in autoshop for 3 years now
­
­
­
­
­
­
Beduin
+510|5777|شمال

Stimey wrote:

I've been in autoshop for 3 years now
as a mechanic?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6429|dm_maidenhead
This is real mechanics:
https://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z227/petermassingale/mechanics.jpg
VicktorVauhn
If your gonna try and be smart, at least post something not from an intro class.
Christbane
+51|6262

Jenspm wrote:

I think Christbane is a mechanic, not sure though.
I own a bodyshop and do collision and custom paint work.

work experience is the best thing you can possibly do   class time is helpful obviously but hands on is the best possible, try to get an apprenticeship somewhere.
GR34
+215|6572|ALBERTA> CANADA
I took a mech class and auto body at school for a year(3 for auto body)
Reciprocity
+721|6608|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Ayumiz wrote:

The other mechanics in the shop knows how to change a timing belt which is it considered hard?
That depends on the vehicle.  most timing belts don't require much technical knowledge, the challenge is knowing what has to be removed and how it's removed to access the belt(s).  this can require any number of common and sometimes special tools.  be sure you have vehicle specific information.  the only other concern is that the belt is installed correctly.  at best, an out of time engine will run poorly. at worst, you'll destroy the valve train, cylinder head(s), pistons, and potentially damage the block.  some belt installs are as simple as aligning marks on the cam sprocket and crank sprocket.  some DOHC engines require cam locks and any number of special, expensive tools.

Are there any tips in improving?
learn from experienced people.  start with the simple stuff and keep building on top of that.  In 4 years I went from sweeping floors to rebuilding automatic transmissions.  always be willing to learn and adapt.  and don't just know how to fix something.  understand how the system works, how the system fails, and how all of it fits together.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard