Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6571|San Diego, CA, USA

Greg Gutfeld wrote:

So police chiefs across the country are saying the recession is causing a rise in crime. Of roughly 200 police agencies surveyed, 44 percent reported increases in stuff like burglary and theft from cars – all somehow linked to the worst economic crisis in years.

Now, this might be a real connection – but I`m not so sure. First off, whenever budgets are in question – scaring the hell out of people with a crime wave always does the trick. But more important – this correlation doesn`t say anything about who`s committing these new crimes. With these increased burglaries, we have no idea if these are newbies or veteran criminals just working longer hours to make ends meet (like the rest of us). If the recession causes crime, then you`d see a rise in first-timers who are just now experiencing tough times.

And honestly, this is really an old canard about poverty causing crime. But unless you count watching Jerry Springer, the overwhelming majority of people considered poor do not commit crimes. The fact is, the criminal mind is driven more by arrogance than need. Think about it: it`s harder to steal a car than it is to work at McDonalds. But a criminal feels he deserves the car – as opposed to working at McDonalds.

The worst part about the poverty-crime link: it sends a poisonous message that criminal behavior is expected – possibly even allowed – whenever times get tough. It`s like saying when it rains you have every right to steal an umbrella.

Which is true, but that`s not really the point.
Source: http://www.dailygut.com/?i=4112

Comment: He makes a good point...really who's really doing the increased crime, repeat or first time offenders?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6175|what

First off, whenever budgets are in question – scaring the hell out of people with a crime wave always does the trick.
This line sums up Greg Gutfeld views.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6788|Cambridge (UK)
Crime has nothing to do with poverty!

/lowing
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Fear is a powerful emotion.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6571|San Diego, CA, USA
I thought Hate > Fear?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Harmor wrote:

I thought Hate > Fear?
Everybody fears.. Chuck Norris aside.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6522|so randum

Harmor wrote:

I thought Hate > Fear?
https://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/4928/tpm-yoda4.jpg
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command
My truck has been burglerized twice in six months.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6175|what

ATG wrote:

Get one of those red flashing lights and place it in the front near the steering wheel. They'll think it's an undercover cop car and move on to the next one.

What was taken? Nothing too valuable I hope.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6738
I think in about 3-4 months when the honeymoon has faded for BO(which it will...happens to all presidents)... people will realize that the bailouts and new spending haven't benefited them at all... only the big banks and companies. The wealthy folks will still be holding on to their money waiting for the recession to end.
The people on the poor side or out of work will be desperate and commit crimes to be able to survive and to express their anger.
Love is the answer
topthrill05
+125|6600|Rochester NY USA
The issue is though BO has said himself this will take years, and alot of the bailout money isn't even coming in 2009. So it begs the question of how much trust the public has in him? I think for awhile, alot but I agree his approvals will likely reach Bush levels come 2 years from now.

But the kicker will be if his plan works, just in time for re-election. (Not taking into account the tons of other shit going on)
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command

TheAussieReaper wrote:

ATG wrote:

Get one of those red flashing lights and place it in the front near the steering wheel. They'll think it's an undercover cop car and move on to the next one.

What was taken? Nothing too valuable I hope.
My video ipod, the motorola like jack bauyer uses and my bad ass SOG desert dagger.

edit, my truck has the flashy light thing. thieves know better.

Last edited by ATG (2009-01-28 19:55:47)

beerface702
+65|6715|las vegas
well on the bright side. Gangsta rap might actually be a boom again.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Crime has nothing to do with poverty!

/lowing
Well since the majority of poor people are not criminals, and there are rich people that commit crimes, it would seem crime has more to do with irresponsibility and lack of character than with social status.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina
Personally, I think it's both.

Poverty encourages crime, and fear is a powerful tool to use in getting money out of people (among other things), whether you're a bureaucrat who wants more from taxpayers or a criminal with a loaded gun.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

Turquoise wrote:

Poverty encourages crime, and fear is a powerful tool to use in getting money out of people (among other things), whether you're a bureaucrat who wants more from taxpayers or a criminal with a loaded gun.
I gotta disagree, since life long poverty=irresponsibility. Of course as always, I exclude those that are unable to help themsleves, IE children, and those that are handicapped beyond ability to contribute.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I gotta disagree, since life long poverty=irresponsibility. Of course as always, I exclude those that are unable to help themsleves, IE children, and those that are handicapped beyond ability to contribute.
I don't think it's that simple, but we've had this discussion before.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

It is exactly that simple, there is too much help and assistence in the US to live a life of poverty for an entire life time ( except for the exceptions I mentioned) If you are in poverty for the most part it is due to a circumstances within your control
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

It is exactly that simple, there is too much help and assistence in the US to live a life of poverty for an entire life time ( except for the exceptions I mentioned) If you are in poverty for the most part it is due to a circumstances within your control
You must not be thinking of many circumstances then.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Sorry, it does not take much effort relatively speaking in the US to earn a living. YOu can do quite well with JUST a HS diploma, and ambition
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Sorry, it does not take much effort relatively speaking in the US to earn a living. YOu can do quite well with JUST a HS diploma, and ambition
I wouldn't say well, but yes, you can make a living.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

you wouldn't say you can do well with just a HS diploma?  Do I really need to list professions that do not require a college degree?

Anyway, if you agree with the premise of my argument, what excuse do you offer for being able bodied, and sound mind, with all of the assistence offered in the US, and still can not manage a fuckin job to earn a living with for your whole life? ( other than personal irresponsibility)
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

you wouldn't say you can do well with just a HS diploma?  Do I really need to list professions that do not require a college degree?
You're being silly now.  There's a good reason why people go beyond HS diplomas.  At least getting an associate's degree or some other technical certification is important to having a decent job 95% of the time.  Otherwise, why would many people bother with more than a diploma?

lowing wrote:

Anyway, if you agree with the premise of my argument, what excuse do you offer for being able bodied, and sound mind, with all of the assistence offered in the US, and still can not manage a fuckin job to earn a living with for your whole life? ( other than personal irresponsibility)
Well, for starters, you don't have control over whether or not your employer decides to fire you.  You don't have control over how long it takes to find another job.

The point is...  you really try too hard to simplify things.  Most of life is situational.  Generalizations don't tend to work very well in reality, although I realize this statement is also a generalization.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You're being silly now.  There's a good reason why people go beyond HS diplomas.  At least getting an associate's degree or some other technical certification is important to having a decent job 95% of the time.  Otherwise, why would many people bother with more than a diploma?

lowing wrote:

Well, for starters, you don't have control over whether or not your employer decides to fire you.  You don't have control over how long it takes to find another job.

The point is...  you really try too hard to simplify things.  Most of life is situational.  Generalizations don't tend to work very well in reality, although I realize this statement is also a generalization.
Don't think I am being silly at all, you do not need a college degree to do well in life in America. For you to say otherwise is rediculous, air traffic controllers, cops, firemen, linemen, railroad employees, etc.....are all well paying jobs that do not need a college degree. THere are more of course but I think my point is made.

I think I do have control whether or not I am fired, try not being a fuck up. Most employees with a high work ethic are not fired.

Also to say you have NO CONTROL over how long you are unemployed is an argument I will let you rephrase before I rip it to shreds.
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

Don't think I am being silly at all, you do not need a college degree to do well in life in America. For you to say otherwise is rediculous, air traffic controllers, cops, firemen, linemen, railroad employees, etc.....are all well paying jobs that do not need a college degree. THere are more of course but I think my point is made.
Most of the jobs you just mentioned require some sort of training.  Air Traffic Controllers aren't people you hire off the street.  You should know this, given your profession.

lowing wrote:

I think I do have control whether or not I am fired, try not being a fuck up. Most employees with a high work ethic are not fired.
Oh really?  So all the people laid off by Boeing in the last month were just fuckups.  Man, I'm surprised they're still in business.  They laid off like 10,000 people.  10,000 fuckups all in the same company....  holy shit.   You'd better not take any flights in a 777 anytime soon.

lowing wrote:

Also to say you have NO CONTROL over how long you are unemployed is an argument I will let you rephrase before I rip it to shreds.
Your arrogance is showing, lowing, but that does make it easier to diffuse your reasoning.  Your argument assumed that you had complete control over your employment.  I was showing that you were wrong.

There are obviously things you can do to increase your odds of keeping your job or of being hired, but...  to act like it's all in your control is no more true than to assume none of it is in your control.

Again, it's situational.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard