The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6105|SC | USA |
# Can help transfer heat from the backside.
# Helps to stabilize the entire card.
# SLI/Quad SLI Compatible.

https://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5627/401ev123401xl1ck8.jpg

https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6850/incasejx3.png

https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1796/onboardvc3.jpg

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.a … EV-1234-01

Last edited by The_Sniper_NM (2009-01-21 17:21:15)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

Do you have to buy it direct from evga?  I hate how the backplates are now exposed!
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6406|Finland

for some reason I can't figure out why would I need this. My temps are fine, card is rock solid stable and not going to get quad sli. And don't really feel like taking off all the screws holding that sandwich together. God know what this will do to the warranty.

edit: out of curiosity I'll place a temp sensor right over the GPU back and see is there really any point even considering this.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-01-21 17:49:27)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

Panzer's GPU backplate mythbuster results:

GPU1 back (what this backplate is designed to cool) never went above 45c under furmark load. Temps stabilized at 44c.

Myth: Do i need this backplate?

BUSTED
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Yes, but it looks fucking cool. So buy it!
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

ghettoperson wrote:

Yes, but it looks fucking cool. So buy it!
yes great to possibly void my warranty to the store where I bought it (would have to RMA directly to EVGA in case the card dies).

edit: and if they sell it only from the EVGA site, shipping that piece of metal would cost me insanely....

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-01-21 23:05:35)

ElementalDragon
+6|5562
Panzer:  Uuh.... if you REALLY think that your warranty would be void, then you don't seem to know anything about eVGA's warranty.  They seem to cover damn near everything but blatantly obvious intentional physical damage.  You don't even have to remove the heatsink between the cards to install the backplate.  In case you've never swapped out a stock heatsink on a video card for an aftermarket version, they don't just fall off the second the screws are removed.  There's usually quite a bit of effort required to separate the heatsink from the card.  usually have to do a fair bit of slight twisting back and forth.  Not only that... even if you WERE to remove the heatsink, and had to RMA the card later because something went wrong... eVGA doesn't care, because changing the heatsink is covered in their warranty, which is something few companies actually allow in their warranty terms.  Granted you'd want to put the stock heatsink back on, since there's a chance you might not get yours back.

As for your whole test where it only reached 45C at the back of the card.... let's think about it this way.  If the back of the exposed PCB on the GTX 295 is at 45C.... what do you think could happen if you were to put the backplate on... which comes with a thermal pad... and is made of aluminum?  If that cools off the PCB, there's a HIGH chance it'll also help keep the GPU cooler, seeing as they idle at around 10C hotter than that.  Had the temperature you witnessed been around room temperature, then yeah, the backplate would be useless.  but seeing as the back of the PCB right behind the GPU is 10C cooler than the GPU, i seriously doubt that the ambient temperature is anywhere close to 45C / 113F.... in Finland.

Last edited by ElementalDragon (2009-01-28 17:36:42)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

what.... I'm talking about the warranty the STORE provides.... I REALLY don't want to ship the card to otehr side of the EU in case it breaks. I'
m very well aware that EVGA's own warranty covers almost everything... I JUST WANT TO HAVE MY WARRANTY WITH THE RETAILER WERE I GOT IT FROM.

And cooling the resistors on GPU back REALLY doesn't bring much gains.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
I'm possibly reading this wrong, but you pay £10 for a little sheet of aluminum and some screws?

Riiiiiight...
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

FatherTed wrote:

I'm possibly reading this wrong, but you pay £10 for a little sheet of aluminum and some screws?

Riiiiiight...
yep... and looks like its sold only in evga site so 10£ + shipping...

won't be worth that what... maybe 2c difference lol.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Riiiiiight...
yep... and looks like its sold only in evga site so 10£ + shipping...

won't be worth that what... maybe 2c difference lol.
Quite.

You could just mod a few more fans on and keep the change!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

I think it is more of an aesthetic upgrade than anything else.
ElementalDragon
+6|5562
Well..... i wouldn't exactly say that.  Yes..... it's an aesthetics upgrade... but apparently it's also QUITE the cooling upgrade.... at least quite a bit more than 2C

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/inde … .msg517193

not really a difference at idle, but seems to help a LOT at load.

And no... i don't think "more fans" will help with the cooling all that much.  There's only so many fans you can use before good airflow turns into turbulence and dead-spots.

Last edited by ElementalDragon (2009-01-28 18:02:07)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

that's bullshit not even EVGA says it will yield such dramatic results... there is only one test out and its this guy.

I have studied enough physics to know that kind of temp drop would need massive redesign of the cooler...

edit: 30c drop????? no fuckign possible....

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-01-28 18:12:54)

ElementalDragon
+6|5562
i'm actually thinking about buying one (and no... not just because of that link.  actually thought it needed one from the get-go).  Find it kind of odd to not believe it'd have a somewhat high impact.  Yes, it kind of seems unbelievable.... but then again, the GTX 295 isn't the only video card to have attempted the backplate cooling method either.  Granted i'm not sure how much of an impact those may or may not have made.... but i get the feeling it did something.... i mean some of them even had heatpipes on the backplate that didn't seem to go anywhere but to a different section of the backplate.

And i just looked at eVGA's forums.  People there seem to be seeing roughly 10C drops with the backplate.  still quite worth it for a card that can quite easily go up to 80C in Crysis: Warhead

Last edited by ElementalDragon (2009-01-28 18:23:49)

Brasso
+1,549|6622

ElementalDragon wrote:

i'm actually thinking about buying one (and no... not just because of that link.  actually thought it needed one from the get-go).  Find it kind of odd to not believe it'd have a somewhat high impact.  Yes, it kind of seems unbelievable.... but then again, the GTX 295 isn't the only video card to have attempted the backplate cooling method either.  Granted i'm not sure how much of an impact those may or may not have made.... but i get the feeling it did something.... i mean some of them even had heatpipes on the backplate that didn't seem to go anywhere but to a different section of the backplate.
30C - no.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
30c lol.

erm just no
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

I promise if this thing finds its way to Finland, I'm the first to post full review of it. And I doubt it would be much of difference...

certainly not even close what that dude is saying... there even are no memory chips on back...

edit: and the card does go to 90 with absolutely max load (only in Bioshock and original Crysis) you can throw at it, so the without backplate temps of his are right...

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-01-28 18:27:10)

ElementalDragon
+6|5562
I dunno.  Like people have been saying.... maybe somehow the heat is also being transferred from the copper heatsink between the cards to the backplate with the screws... which there are quite a few of.  Granted it wouldn't be very much.... but it'd probably help. ~80-90C is HOT!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

ElementalDragon wrote:

I dunno.  Like people have been saying.... maybe somehow the heat is also being transferred from the copper heatsink between the cards to the backplate with the screws... which there are quite a few of.  Granted it wouldn't be very much.... but it'd probably help. ~80-90C is HOT!
doubtful, you don't want something threaded getting too much heat.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Brasso
+1,549|6622

ElementalDragon wrote:

i am 99% sure heat is not being transferred through the screws to the backplate.  hell, the backplate doesn't have a fan on it.  it's not going to dissipate that much heat before the ambient air around it gets hot too.  that's a dead spot in most cases.

80-90C isn't really that hot, considering that's max load with (i assume to be) stock fan speeds.  a little rivatuner ---> fan speeds up to 50% or so will fix that nicely.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
ElementalDragon
+6|5562
uuh.... i actually OWN a GTX 295, and i can tell you that even at 80C, the fan's speed is already ramped up to around 50%.  it's automatically set to 41% at idle to keep it around mid-high 50's at idle.
Brasso
+1,549|6622

ElementalDragon wrote:

uuh.... i actually OWN a GTX 295, and i can tell you that even at 80C, the fan's speed is already ramped up to around 50%.  it's automatically set to 41% at idle to keep it around mid-high 50's at idle.
okay?  so just raise the fan speed more.

if you really want to, get the backplate.  i hear there are some miraculous temp reductions with it - even up to 30C!!!
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6406|Finland

G200 cores can take upto 105c heat in long term use. This is a fact from nVIDIA. 91c max load temp with stock fan speed is much lower than 97c load I had with HD2900XT (and it worked just fine).

edit: tbh I couldn't care less how hot it runs... it is said to work just fine without a silly backplate and if it some day doesn't, it will find its way to RMA the second I run in troubles...

edit: not that much related to this thread but I was thinking a little about water cooling the card but in the end its not worth it....

for those who are wondering how much it probably would cost me to get this backplate from EVGA directly... its more than 35€... and a slice of metal is not worth that much unless its covered in gold...

edit2: If I wanted backplates I would sell this card and get two GTX 280s... but not going to do that so lets drop it here... EVGA can stick that backplate up their fat arses...

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-01-28 19:26:39)

ElementalDragon
+6|5562
it's not too fun to have to turn the fan speed up any further.  even at around 50%, it's noticable over game noises.... at least at the volume i tend to play Crysis: Warhead at (Auzentech control panel volume at around 67%, Z-5500 control center volume at around a bar and a half).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard