Roc18
`
+655|5811|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
I'm watching the Rough around the edges special on Comedy Central right now and this dude is hilarious. Here is a thread I made on his other special Vicious Circle. http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=92073 .

I know alot of people on here dont think he is funny but I disagree.
topal63
. . .
+533|6738
"Cook" Dane and feed him to a tribe of cannibals - now that would be funny! But Dane Cook - not funny.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5985|London, England

He's way too overhyped
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6727|67.222.138.85
People like him because he has sex appeal.

VicktorVauhn
+319|6412|Southern California
I never got why SO many people hate the guy. He has had some pretty funny stuff.

that said I though that last special sucked, and its annoying that he has shifted his carrier to romantic comedies.
Defiance
+438|6691

VicktorVauhn wrote:

I never got why SO many people hate the guy. He has had some pretty funny stuff.

that said I though that last special sucked, and its annoying that he has shifted his carrier to romantic comedies.
Half of his material is composed by sticking a thesaurus up his ass. You can get a few laughs but once you realize he's describing everyday situations with silly sounding words, there's not much more thought in to it and it's that formula over and over again.

There are no jokes, just drunken banter.

In other words: If you don't care, he's funny, but he doesn't hold up under critical review. Just like everything else most people like.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5773|Roma
dave Chappelle ftw.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
VicktorVauhn

Defiance wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Half of his material is composed by sticking a thesaurus up his ass. You can get a few laughs but once you realize he's describing everyday situations with silly sounding words, there's not much more thought in to it and it's that formula over and over again.

There are no jokes, just drunken banter.

In other words: If you don't care, he's funny, but he doesn't hold up under critical review. Just like everything else most people like.
Its fucking comedy... Don't sit and review critically. So he is describing every day life... Tons of comedians do that... Seinfeld doesn't get that level of hate and he doesn't even bother with the thesaurus...
DaRkAcE
+6|6219
Jeff Dunham>all
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6736
he's pretty funny... but he is getting a little old... I heard he stole a lot of his material from Louis CK...?  Probably a rumor... One thing is sure... Dane Cook is one rich mofo... lol
Love is the answer
Benzin
+576|6019
I really do not like Dane Cook. But he has done a good job of marketing himself to his target audience, so kudos to him.

I personally love Michael Mittermeier. He's a German comedian but he will put you into tears. His latest DVD special does have English subtitles, though, for those of you that want to take the plunge.
Defiance
+438|6691

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Its fucking comedy... Don't sit and review critically. So he is describing every day life... Tons of comedians do that... Seinfeld doesn't get that level of hate and he doesn't even bother with the thesaurus...
I don't like it, I explained why, and you say it simply can't be judged? Everything is judged. It is art, quality or not. It is one persons creative product delivered to millions of other people. To not expect or to deny criticism is naive and counter productive.

And since you responded to it anyways: Yeah, a lot of comedians describe everyday life. It allows the greatest audience, so if you want to ignore that we can say it's a load of silly words for humor. I think that sounds about right.

Last edited by Defiance (2009-01-13 22:57:26)

seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6615|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
Demetri Martin is way better.
VicktorVauhn

Defiance wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

I don't like it, I explained why, and you say it simply can't be judged? Everything is judged. It is art, quality or not. It is one persons creative product delivered to millions of other people. To not expect or to deny criticism is naive and counter productive.

And since you responded to it anyways: Yeah, a lot of comedians describe everyday life. It allows the greatest audience, so if you want to ignore that we can say it's a load of silly words for humor. I think that sounds about right.
He does use a lot of "silly words", but that's pretty far from all his humor is.
Not saying it can't be judged, just saying that if your sitting and critically reviewing it then your missing the point. Sit back, stop thinking so hard and see if it makes you laugh.

seymorebutts443 wrote:

True... I still think its weird that he is gonna have a show though. I like his stand up, but for some reason I don't think a show by him will be good. Dunno why.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2009-01-13 23:07:55)

TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5737|Vancouver, BC, Canada

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Seconded.

They're both brilliant.

R.I.P. George Carlin.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6176|Vancouver | Canada

CapnNismo wrote:

I really do not like Dane Cook. But he has done a good job of marketing himself to his target audience, so kudos to him.
People with no sense of humor?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

People like him because he has sex appeal.

I always knew you enjoyed a bit of man love.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6348

I can't watch Dane Cook, he is loud and over powers his jokes to try and make them more funny. He has ripped material off of a lot of other comedians as well, so I've read. I also remember one bit of his sounded just like another bit this other guy did from a few years ago.

ALOT of comedians are better then Cook. I agree he is over hyped. And I hate the way he walks around on stage. And, I've also heard he is a huge asshole IRL.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Benzin
+576|6019

DefCon-17 wrote:

People with no sense of humor?
Or rather, people who do not appreciate true, genius satire.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6541|Austin, Texas

Im_Dooomed wrote:

And, I've also heard he has a huge asshole IRL.
I lol'd
VicktorVauhn

MadKatter wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

And, I've also heard he has a huge asshole IRL.
I lol'd
A friend of mine met him at the laugh factory. He was cool enough to take a picture with him. My friend was trying to get into being a stand up comedian, and as he was kinda a weird guy he was trying to make a website called something like bunnyearsoncelebs.com or something, where the basic premise was he got his picture taken with celebrities and would do bunny ears on them....
He did it to Dane Cook and got caught, and he was a pretty cool guy about it... joking around about how he was a fag for still doing bunny ears. didn't seem like much of an asshole.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6716|NJ
Dane cook = not funny. I've sat around, watched his show trying to find a laugh, and got nothing.. So many people I"ve talked to who've said they like him, I've asked for a funny bit or joke and they just stare and say "well he used to be funny".

He's a shill, sold alot of people on the Idea of him.. He's like an IT company of the early 2000, sure it seemed like a really good company but there was nothing behind it..

Bottom line, Dane Cook is a giant fail whose gained his Comedic Value by friending a shit load of people on Myspace..
gatorlova
Guess who!
+17|6016
russell peters ftw
Brasso
+1,549|6650

i havent really listened to any other comedians so dont kill me, but i think dane cook is hilarious
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
bad-man
now say you sorry
+34|5868|one windy city
i'm not saying dane cook is the BEST fucking comedian, he;s not and there are better ... but i've seen few of his shows and he was entertaining enough for me to watch it and he made me giggle enough ....... if you think he sucks and you're better lets see you on the stage...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard