USARANGER01
+35|6688|America
hey so i was thinking of getting this ram for my computer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820145184

since its 4GB for only 24.99 (its one of those newegg special deals), im gonna go ahead and buy it quickly.  im not sure how to find out if its even compatible with my computer, but i figure il get it now and try it and if id doesnt work il just send it back.  so my question is basically about this:

Other Thoughts: To the reviewer that said he isn't using VISTA and can't get all 4 GB of RAM to register. XP will not register 4 GB of RAM, you will need to upgrade to VISTA to get the full use of your RAM.

that is someones comment on newegg. i have windows xp, so i am wondering if that means this ram wont work for me.  will windows xp just not register all of it, or will it register none of it at all, or something? will there be any problems if i put it in there with my other 2 sticks of .5 gig each? im just curious and i want to find out soon because i dont want to miss such a great deal.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6773|St. Andrews / Oslo

32bit OS will give you maximum 4GB system ram, which means windows XP or Windows Vista 32bit should recognize ~3.4GB or something (due to GPU etc).

If you want Windows XP and 4GB ram, get Windows XP 64bit.

And no, you should stick to the same ram sticks in a PC.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6504|cuntshitlake

To see if it fits your computer:
1. Download this: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_148.zip
2. Open it and open the mainboard tab
3. take a screenshot (Alt+PrtScr button and then paste to paint & save & upload to imageshack)
4. Link the image here

To answer your question:
32-Bit XP and Vista both can use 4GB of ram, they just can't utilize the whole of it. It will work just fine but only about 3-3.5GB of it will be available to programs. 64-bit XP or Vista would be able to use all of it.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
USARANGER01
+35|6688|America
alright
so if i just buy these and put them in, while taking my others out (i have 2 .5 gigs and 2 .25 gigs that came with the computer), so i have 4 gigs, itl work fine? i was also just reading about how windows doesnt recognize all 4 gigs of it.  but if there is no actual problems, that is fine with me, seeing as it is only 24$.  24$ for 3.4 gigs is a sweet deal.  i just want to make sure there will be no problems or crashing or anything of that sort
USARANGER01
+35|6688|America

DeathUnlimited wrote:

3. take a screenshot (Alt+PrtScr button and then paste to paint & save & upload to imageshack)
4. Link the image here

To answer your question:
32-Bit XP and Vista both can use 4GB of ram, they just can't utilize the whole of it. It will work just fine but only about 3-3.5GB of it will be available to programs. 64-bit XP or Vista would be able to use all of it.
am i able to do that in Linix? i need to reinstall windows still, which i will do in an hour or so.  i tried to open it in linix but im not sure if it works. altho i do suck at using linix...
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6884|Reykjavík, Iceland.

USARANGER01 wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

4. Link the image here

To answer your question:
am i able to do that in Linix? i need to reinstall windows still, which i will do in an hour or so.  i tried to open it in linix but im not sure if it works. altho i do suck at using linix...
It won't work in Linux. You can run windows applications via emulation (Wine), but said application won't be able to detect your hardware.

I'm not sure whether there is a Linux equivalent of CPU-Z
USARANGER01
+35|6688|America
alright then il just hurry up and reinstall windows then run it again.
haha yea linUx. i thought it looked a bit weird when i was typing it but i knew people would know what i was talking about

* ok im gonna start the reinstallation shit again. il be back in a bit with a picture of that program

Last edited by USARANGER01 (2008-11-19 16:11:34)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6807|Cambridge (UK)

USARANGER01 wrote:

alright
so if i just buy these and put them in, while taking my others out (i have 2 .5 gigs and 2 .25 gigs that came with the computer), so i have 4 gigs, itl work fine?
If they're compatible with your mobo, yes.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5945|CA
Depends if you have DDR, DDR2, or DDR3 (not likely)

Also consider the max speed your motherboard will it's memory at.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2008-11-19 23:34:19)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6722|Disaster Free Zone

TopHat01 wrote:

Depends if you have DDR, DDR2, or DDR3 (not likely)

Also consider the max speed your motherboard will it's memory at.
I'm guessing by reading "(i have 2 .5 gigs and 2 .25 gigs that came with the computer)", he has DDR and the new stuff will not be compatible.... but thats just a guess.
USARANGER01
+35|6688|America
ok well windows wont install, idk why. its all fucked up. but im just gonna get the ram (cause the deal ends on sunday) and try it out. if it doesnt work, il just send it back. i can do that right? it doesnt have to be unopened or anything?
CrazeD
+368|6713|Maine

USARANGER01 wrote:

ok well windows wont install, idk why. its all fucked up. but im just gonna get the ram (cause the deal ends on sunday) and try it out. if it doesnt work, il just send it back. i can do that right? it doesnt have to be unopened or anything?
Return Policies

This item is covered by Newegg.com's Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
    * Return for replacement within: 30 days

Last edited by CrazeD (2008-11-20 21:07:19)

USARANGER01
+35|6688|America
alright so long story short i got everything back running, but i still wanna get that ram, now that its back up for sale again. i ran the thing but imageshack is being gay and wont let me log in and its not emailing me my shit. so if there is any specific piece of info on this mainboard menu that would be helpful, i can type it here
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6777|Salt Lake City

What exactly is it that you still have questions about?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6504|cuntshitlake

USARANGER01 wrote:

alright so long story short i got everything back running, but i still wanna get that ram, now that its back up for sale again. i ran the thing but imageshack is being gay and wont let me log in and its not emailing me my shit. so if there is any specific piece of info on this mainboard menu that would be helpful, i can type it here
From mainboard tab, manufacturer and model.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard