USARANGER01
+35|6689|America
idk if anyone remembers, but im constantly trying to fix problems with my computer, which is in turn constantly doing something wrong.

ok so this time, i didnt download anything, so there is no kind of virus or anything.  my computer has been running kind of strange lately.  when its on, it works fine, but sometimes when we turn it on nothing will happen.  the computer itself will power on, but nothing else will. nothing connected works (keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc...). so basically the computer is physically on, but its not.  it used to happen sporadically but lately it has been happening almost every time we turn the computer off.  after maybe 30 mins of not working, sometimes i will restart it again and it will work. once its running, its fine.
but getting to the real problem; i was rendering something in 3dsmax overnight. the render was gonna take about 5 hours, since the lighting was fairly complex.  this morning when i got to the computer, the render was done and everything seemed fine, except the computer was still running very slowly.  i restarted it (with the restart thing, not just turning it on and off.)  about an hour ago, it blue screened when it was just sitting there.
i restarted it and it worked fine for another 20 mins or so then it blue screened on my mom again.  so i restarted it in safe mode, and about 30 mins later it did it again.  i have no idea why its doing this, and i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

a few things to note. the past few weeks i have been doing entense workloads of stuff in 3dsmax, for a movie a few of my friends and i are making. i re-save files constantly, in case anything messes up, so i dont lose anything.  so im note sure if that has anything to do with it. also, the computer has been on for maybe 2 or 3 nights now, because we dont want to have to go through all the trouble of the strange thing when the computer wont start up after its shut down. we have been planning on doing standby mode, but iv been rendering things overnight, so we havnt put it into standby mode overnight yet.  im not sure if this has anything to do with it.  the computer is fairly old, we got it around 5 or 6 years ago. until lately, it has been running fine however.

im running disk cleanup now, which found like 40,000 kb of temporary files, so im not sure if that has anything to do with it.  after running the disk cleanup, im gonna bring a lot of files to our external harddrive, then refrag then diskcleanup again.  im just pulling these outta my ass, hoping they will somehow help.  anyone have any advice?

(oh yea and i know that i am constantly asking stupid questons about my computer, and always having problems with it then running here for help. sorry if its gotten on anyones nerves lol.  but u guys are extremely helpful and i own so many people thanks. so thank you for any help, and sorry about being so bad at using my computer haha)
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6494|The Twilight Zone
The computer not powering completely can be PSU or mobo issue or it could just be case button isn't well connected. Try turning it on with a screwdriver. Now the bluescreen issue; I suspect ram so try taking one stick at a time out leaving only one stick in if you have two.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6541|so randum
sounds like PSU being a) too weak, or b) FUBAR
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6807|Cambridge (UK)
my vote also goes to it being your PSU.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6238|Winland

Bad RAM; That can do some really funky stuff
Bad PSU; That often causes a computer not to boot properly
Bad mobo; Capacitors from 5-6 years ago were often really poor.
Dust; That can accumulate pretty badly in 5-6 years.

Verdict: Get some new insides for $300.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
USARANGER01
+35|6689|America
alright, since most of you guys said memory problems, il try opening up my computer and doing that swapping with the ram.
i need some tips for how to go about doing it tho...

ok. so i should first try only 1 stick first, then boot it back up? how will i know if it is the problem or not? like, will there be a noticable change with my computer? same goes with switching the sticks around; will there be some sort of notiable difference after i turn my computer on?

(oh yea and i have 1.5 GB of ram.  if i can recall correctly, i used to have .5 GB, then i bought a pack that had two sticks of .5 GB. im fairly sure it was kingston ram, or something like that.  il go and look it up after this, im just trying to get this all out quickly in case it blue-screens again. but i think that my computer came with 2 sticks of .25 GB ram each.  i dont remember exactly what i did when i upgraded the ram, il have to check that out in the computer then get back to u guys)
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6807|Cambridge (UK)
Grab memtest 86+ (either the CD iso, the bootable USB image, or the floppy image), if you get the ISO, just burn it to a disk, if you get the floppy version you insert a floppy, run the exe and it creates a bootable floppy, the usb version I've not used...

Anyhoo... after you've done that, turn PC off, whip out all but one RAM stick, put in memtest cd/floppy/usb stick and boot to it.

It will then test that ram stick.

Make sure you leave it to complete one whole pass (can take some time).

Now, if you get errors, it's probably a dodgy stick of ram, so switch off, take it out, put another stick in, repeat.

If you don't get errors, then that stick is fine, so switch off, take the stick out and put it to one side - remembering it is a 'good' stick - put another in, repeat.

Do that, one stick at a time, until you've tested each stick individually.

Now, you also need to test sticks in combination with each other - and this is where it can get difficult to work out what sticks are good and what aren't - first you need to test each combination of pairs of sticks.

If they all still pass, then that's good, try combinations of 3 sticks next. Then combinations of 4 sticks.

Now, you may find some combinations give you errors, some don't - remember the ones that don't - avoid the ones that do.

Eventually you should figure out a combination of sticks that works.

If you find that all sticks seem to be faulty, or no combinations of sticks seem to work, then it's likely to not be the ram, but a faulty ram slot on the mobo - go back to just having one stick in, and test it in each different slot - that may show which is faulty - or you may need to use 2 sticks, trying different combinations of ram in different slots in order to work out what's going on.

You may end up having to work through quite a long series of different combinations to work it out, so I highly recommend keeping a note, on a piece of paper, what combinations of sticks in what slots you've tried, and what the results were for that setup.

Good luck. Diagnosing RAM faults, hell diagnosing faults full-stop, can be a nightmare at times.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6455|Finland

I need to know your pc specs before I can help.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
USARANGER01
+35|6689|America
alright
so i tried doing that thing with running that program, but whenever i did it (i did it about 3 or 4 times) it always said there were no errors.  however, my computer still crashed, and then it wouldnt start up at all. it just kept doing that annoying thing when its 'on' but not really on.  so i took it to geeksquad in bestbuy, and told them everything.  they took it in for diagnostics and they called back later that day to say it was the power supply.  so they installed a new power supply and i picked it all up like 2 hours ago.  the start-up problem was gone, and the computer seemed to run slightly faster and much quieter.  however, after maybe 20 or 30 mins, it bluescreened AGAIN, exactly the same as before.

i was extremely pissed about this for several reasons.  first, i bet that after the people there figured out what the problem was with the startup, they just assumed that was it, and disregarded the blue-screening.  i was about to take it back, which i realized they would probably want to charge me AGAIN to have them figure out what was wrong again. this is total bullshit because i brought it in there primarily to fix that problem, which i clearly told them about the first time.

so anyway, right before i brought it back, i remembered their post-diagnostic folder thing that they give out.  so i checked it, and it have some info about what they had done.  there were 2 notes.  one was regarding the new power supply and what they did to install it. the other reads as follows: "clean off temp files...informed customer who didnt want to sink a lot of money into unit to restore machine for best results."

i assume that they mean re-installing windows, but i wasnt completely sure.  after thinking about it, i did not want to reinstall everything just to maybe find that it was a hardware problem with the RAM or the motherboard or w/e and have done all that work for nothing.  so i fired up an old copy of Linux my friend gave me last time my computer got a virus.  i figure, il try this out for a while, and if nothing crashes, it is probably a problem with  windows itself, and not the hardware. likewise, if it crashes in Linux, then it probably is a hardware problem. 

ugghhhh fuck my life.  i hate this computer.  i just want it to work.  i cant wait to get my laptop in a few months when i graduate.

but thank you all for the help. all this shit just reinforced my opinion that getting help from people like you guys is cheaper, more down to earth, and more helpful than places like geeksquad.  if anyone has any other advice, im all ears

oh yea, how would one go about finding all my system specs from llinux? i just saw some people ask about them and i realized i never posted them.

Last edited by USARANGER01 (2008-11-17 19:14:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard