Maj.Do
+85|6787|good old CA
Hey Guys

I just bought a Linksys WRT160N router to use in my school.  I just plugged it in and i cant seem to get it working.  I checked and found out that the computer doesn't automatically obtain an IP address and it was manually set so i tried setting that to Automatic and setting the router to using the static ip.  So far no luck : \.  Please help!
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5752|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wait, so you have a WRT160N that you plugged into your school network using the Internet/WAN port? And computers aren't getting an IP?

Have you tried running it individually, Reset the router using the button on the back, unplug everything except for power and your computer in LAN1, make sure windows is set to Auto all.
If it grabs an IP then you just haven't configured it properly to integrate into the school network.
Maj.Do
+85|6787|good old CA
Yea tried that method.  Computer tries to acquire an IP for the longest possible time when set to auto. Can't even connect to the router.  Only way i could connect to the router was by setting the IP manually to 192.168.1.101
TheDonkey
Ermm...hrmmmm....

Tried a different computer?

If it still doesn't work, then you can either try DD-WRT(Third part firmware, risky, but 10x more features) OR return it and get a new one, I doubt it's actually "broken" per-se, but if all else fails.
Maj.Do
+85|6787|good old CA
eh strangely the router works perfectly at my house when i dont set it to the schools static ip.
TheDonkey

Maj.Do wrote:

eh strangely the router works perfectly at my house when i dont set it to the schools static ip.
Wait, what...?

Can you please explain the EXACT config you had back at the school? (What was plugged in where, what specific config lines you typed in)

I think what may've happened is that you set the router to an already-in-use static, thus resulting in a conflict.

If you changed pretty much every setting on the router, then some screenies are fine.
Maj.Do
+85|6787|good old CA
Ok so at school,
I know each computer uses a static IP.  The computer im trying to connect to the router uses 10.74.39.16 as the Manually set IP.
So basically when i got the router i did the basics, plugged the internet cord from the walljack into the router then plugged another cord from the router to the computer.  Then did the whole reset with no luck. 

Basically the computer would take ages to acquire an IP address. (It never did get one) I also couldn't log on to the router using 192.168.1.1.  Couldn't ping it to.

So i decided to bring it home to test it and oddly enough it worked.  My computer at home is set to use dynamic.  So I tried setting up the router's configs to use the SCHOOL's static ip of 10.74.39.16 . 

I then brought it back to school the next day.  Did the basics and still no luck(didn't reset to factory settings).  So i then set the computer's settings to use Dynamic IP instead of the manually set 10.74.39.16. 
Same thing happened like last time.  Never acquires an IP address plus i couldn't connect to the router using 192.168.1.1. 

So then i tried setting the computer's settings to a manual IP of 192.168.1.101 .  This time i COULD connect to the router to change settings but sadly no internet connection.  This is where im stuck. 

Please advise!

Last edited by Maj.Do (2008-10-16 01:52:30)

ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6480|Lisburn, NI
Why're you trying to bring your own router into school?
Don't they have their own network there?

What're you trying to accomplish by bringing a separate router into school?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6416|the land of bourbon
your school might have MAC address authetication in place which will prevent people from connecting outside network devices. 

these kids and their rule breaking nowadays
*shakes fist*
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Maj.Do
+85|6787|good old CA
naw im setting it up for the Office.
Defiance
+438|6706

If by school you mean college, they already have a network and adding on another router will not work unless it's a high end router you can actually configure, but that's irrelevant. Considering you dropped the cash on an N router, I assume you want wireless. For what reasons you can't use a wired connection in a dorm is beyond me, but if you insist on it you'd want a wireless access point.

The skinny: It won't work unless you've got one of these.
Brasso
+1,549|6665

Defiance wrote:

If by school you mean college, they already have a network and adding on another router will not work unless it's a high end router you can actually configure, but that's irrelevant. Considering you dropped the cash on an N router, I assume you want wireless. For what reasons you can't use a wired connection in a dorm is beyond me, but if you insist on it you'd want a wireless access point.

better save up tbh
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Defiance
+438|6706

haffeysucks wrote:

Defiance wrote:

better save up tbh
I wouldn't mind it, but I'm happy with my smoothwall for the time being.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard