Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6219|Winland

Change of plans, I put DU to work, searching far and wide for a cheap 8800GT 512.

I'm gonna miss my ATI drivers
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6714|England
Team rank keep rising thanks mostly to max
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6219|Winland

Drykill wrote:

Just you wait until I get my projector sold
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6714|England

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Drykill wrote:

Just you wait until I get my projector sold
If I wasn't joining the Royal Marines in 1 month I would buy a folding farm, got loads of money saved up too. Maybe another time.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6219|Winland

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/Freezer7Pro/666.png

OMG! Morph to Demon mode! (See: Painkiller (game))
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6161|New Jersey
<3 Painkiller, I played it after Yahtzee's recommendation.

Max has almost half of our team's total points.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6219|Winland

SpIk3y wrote:

<3 Painkiller, I played it after Yahtzee's recommendation.

Max has almost half of our team's total points.
It is indeed an awesome game.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6590|NYC / Hamburg

I added a E8400 E0 @ 3.6 GHz. It could do a lot more, but I'm playing it conservatively since this is a production machine that needs 110% stability. 1.225V though
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
max
Vela Incident

Just as a heads up: stanford has been adding a couple of bigger WU's to the GPU2 client. ATi should be getting better points now, while nvidia might experience a little loss.

No worries for NV users though. There are optimizations for those GPUs coming

slegrand wrote:

No worries, there are plenty of NV optimizations in the pipe as well, but I need to validate them before turning them loose and right now, I'm swamped with some other F@H-related work.  As things stand, the NV algorithm is more efficient but the ATI algorithm is simpler.  Hence around lambda-sized molecules, ATI gets a perf spike while NV is still warming up and bogged down by the housekeeping incurred for its more efficient algorithm.  For Fip35-sized molecules, NV is underutilized on GTX280, but ATI is doubly so on 4870 and that's why the perf differential there is just crazy.

In the long run in this GPU generation, I *expect* SP for SP that an NV GPU will be about 2.5x faster than an ATI SP.  This is of course then modified by SP count and processor clock.  If Mike finds a structural optimization to his code, then I will revisit that ratio, but that's my prediction for now.  And the game resets with the next hw generation anyway so it's an ongoing arms race.

John Naylor wrote:

The work units have not been devalued, nor is there a motive to bring down NV points to make ATI and NV produce roughly equal points... Mike [Houston, the guy who builds the ATI cores] has a lot of optimisations on the backburner for his core while they sort out some obscure issue. If they wanted to level the production field, then those optimisations would probably be in already (from what I've read the problem is extremely obscure and not science related). The GPUs were always going to be used for bigger units, their enormous speed makes them inherently suitable for processing big systems, which can bog down the uniprocessor clients into multi-day units (e.g. p1487, which has taken a minimum of 4 days and a maximum of 11 days to fold on my system, and anywhere inbetween [that's not including downtime]). Both NV and ATI cards will be used to fold big units, but this was known from the start. It just seems that the ATI cards excel with these units where NV excels with smaller units. There is no intentional redistribution of PPD with these units.

Last edited by max (2008-09-08 15:20:08)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6714|England
^ I've had a couple of the new ATi WUs but with 8.9 beta drivers they crash, they do give a boost to your PPD as the WU's are worth 500 odd points each. Got the SMP client working properly on my Q6600, 2500PPD from that
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6219|Winland

Drykill wrote:

^ I've had a couple of the new ATi WUs but with 8.9 beta drivers they crash, they do give a boost to your PPD as the WU's are worth 500 odd points each. Got the SMP client working properly on my Q6600, 2500PPD from that
I've gotten a buncha'em, but they don't improve my PPD one squat
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6485|cuntshitlake

Meh, Iget like 3500 PPD from them, opposed to 5000PPD from project 5506 and 5500PPD from any other.

On 8800GT that is.

Edit: On 8600GT I get like 900PPD opposed to 1500/1950 on 5506/regular

Sucks tbh.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-09 12:35:46)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
DUnlimited
+1,160|6485|cuntshitlake

Big one coming for max

And 1/10 of that to me

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-10 15:40:30)

SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6161|New Jersey
yes we must throw a million point party for max

Last edited by SpIk3y (2008-09-10 16:29:22)

Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6714|England
I've had so many EUE's recently. SMP client killed itself just before the WU ended so I missed out on 1700 points there, took days to complete that WU

SMP client is no more.
max
Vela Incident

ONE MILLION POINTS!!! Woooo!

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/awards/cert.php?u=max&amp;pts=1006294

*celebration*
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6468|Amsterdam‫
/ party hard!!!
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6161|New Jersey
I brought the pot brownies, dig in.

Congrats on getting 1 million points on 9/11 of all days
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6714|England
Anyone want a toke of this Salvia....
DUnlimited
+1,160|6485|cuntshitlake

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/awards/cert.php?u=DU&amp;pts=101189

O hi

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-12 05:40:16)

menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6468|Amsterdam‫
good job!!!
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6468|Amsterdam‫
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/awards/cert.php?u=metal_storm&amp;pts=205352

max
Vela Incident

https://th171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/YOPServer/emoticon/th_clapping.gif
max
Vela Incident

Either the 5016's are borked or the OC on my second GPU has suddenly become unstable after 331 successfully completed WUs *pulls out hair*
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6219|Winland

max wrote:

Either the 5016's are borked or the OC on my second GPU has suddenly become unstable after 331 successfully completed WUs *pulls out hair*
There are some ultra-low PPD GPU WUs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard