Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6795|Cambridge (UK)

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

h4hagen wrote:

The name of the article is "The Sweet Spot"
But if you don't want to read it:

BashAndSlash wrote:

1. Given: Com_MaxFPS = 125
Best value for Cl_MaxPackets = 125, Jump Height = 48 (6.66% above a no roundoff jump)

2. Given: Com_MaxFPS = 76
Best value for Cl_MaxPackets = 77, Jump Height = 47 (4.44% above a no roundoff jump)

3. Given: Com_MaxFPS = 111
Best value for Cl_MaxPackets = 112, Jump Height = 46(2.22% above a no roundoff jump)

4. Given: Com_MaxFPS = 71
Best value for Cl_MaxPackets = 72, Jump Height = 46 (2.22% above a no roundoff jump)

5. Given: Com_MaxFPS = 55
Best value for Cl_MaxPackets = 56, Jump Height = 46 (2.22% above a no roundoff jump)
As far as hard numbers are concerned.
In the above post, notice the jump height, while the author does not mention ROF, FPS clearly has an effect on jump height, it does not seem as if you jump higher, you DO jump higher. Similarly, it does not seem like you fire faster, you DO fire faster.
Most engines use clever algorithms to keep the game balanced, and I'm surprised that the COD4 engine doesn't.

But, this isn't as hard to understand as some may think.

Basically, in game software, the code sits in quite a tight loop, something like this:

1. Process input.
2. Calculate physics.
3. Render graphics.
4. Go to 1.

The more often you go round this loop (i.e. the higher your frame rate) the more often the game processes the input (step 1), hence the more often your gun fires.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6736|67.222.138.85
Basically it's what I said about the user end calculations based on FPS, but then it carries over to the multiplayer aspect.

That is incredibly sloppy, I still have a hard time believing it isn't corrected.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6795|Cambridge (UK)

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Basically it's what I said about the user end calculations based on FPS, but then it carries over to the multiplayer aspect.

That is incredibly sloppy, I still have a hard time believing it isn't corrected.
Yep, it's very very sloppy coding and testing, but programmers and testers are human, and mistakes get made.
Johnny_Extremer
I Am McLovin!!!!
+22|6290

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

holy misinformation batman

FPS has absolutely no bearing on rof, in fact nothing does except what gun you are using and whether you have double tap or not. You should have realized this when you switched comps and didn't see any change. No one else is firing faster than you.

You can unlock the FPS on any game if you know how as well.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

On a scale from one to hard to believe, I have to say this is to the extreme of hard to believe.

If this is remotely true, maybe it changes how fast it APPEARS you are firing. No way it actually changes gameplay.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Where? Care to take a quote out?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Get out of the COD4 forums if you don't know what your talking about. This guy is asking for help and your giving him the wrong information. FPS does matter in COD4 get into competition and you'll know this. 125 or 250 are good fps caps along with 100 maxpacktes for better hit reg. I don't care if your a mod or not this guy asked for help and you flamed him about a subject you clearly don't know nothing about so just stop posting in this thread please.
Janis_Petke
\m/(><)\m/
+49|6723|Brunei Darussalam

Wow, this was all news to me! Gotta try..
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6420

Hah, so I can blame my crap scores on my slow comp.
Dwit
+34|6539
Maybe a stupid question, is it the same for xbox?
although everyone has the same computer so fps would be same?

i don't know, not really technical
Dilda13
{DAM}
+7|6342|Los Angeles
Xbox would run the same for everyone because everyone will have the same hardware, unless they mod their xbox, which is illegal. The only real advantage you can get on a console is playing on a better tv to make things easier to see. There is no console on the xbox version of COD, so none of this discussion can effect the game at all. I am not sure what fps the xbox runs the game at, but I do know that the fps it runs at is constant and hardly ever changes more then a few fps, and that it is not 125 or 250.

Correct me if I am wrong.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6382|Troy, New York
I seem to remeber the number 60 from somewhere (as far as 360 FPS).
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5897|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I hate COD4, BF2 is so much better, theres more to do, more random stuff happening, vehicles, bigger maps, and if the >FPS>ROF is true, BF2 doesn't have that either
H3RB4L ABU53
Actually, that's rediculous, because whoever has the best PC has a huge advantage, noob or not- that's even more of a reason for me not to play COD- I did wonder why when I shoot the LMG's the rate of fire changes randomly- what a stupid thing!

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2008-08-04 09:54:36)

h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6382|Troy, New York
not as much as you would think, since there are quite a few sweet spots and COD4 automatically rounds to the nearest one.
H3RB4L ABU53
Well I haven't got the best PC, the framerate isn't extremely high but is more than playable, but if a higher framerate gives you a higher rate of fire/higher jumping, then I'd never be able to play it competitively which isn't really fair
Flaming_Maniac

Johnny_Extremer wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

holy misinformation batman

FPS has absolutely no bearing on rof, in fact nothing does except what gun you are using and whether you have double tap or not. You should have realized this when you switched comps and didn't see any change. No one else is firing faster than you.

You can unlock the FPS on any game if you know how as well.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

On a scale from one to hard to believe, I have to say this is to the extreme of hard to believe.

If this is remotely true, maybe it changes how fast it APPEARS you are firing. No way it actually changes gameplay.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Where? Care to take a quote out?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Get out of the COD4 forums if you don't know what your talking about. This guy is asking for help and your giving him the wrong information. FPS does matter in COD4 get into competition and you'll know this. 125 or 250 are good fps caps along with 100 maxpacktes for better hit reg. I don't care if your a mod or not this guy asked for help and you flamed him about a subject you clearly don't know nothing about so just stop posting in this thread please.
I need more proof still. I went in game and set it on 20 fps cap (not a sweet spot) and then on 125, and I couldn't tell any difference in jumping. (or rof for that matter, but I'm not going to pretend I could pick out a difference of less than ten percent with my senses for sure) I found a few jumps that I could barely make at 125, and then went back and made them all at 20. Not the most scientific, but these changes are supposed to be obvious right?

I just poked around on the CAL and TWL forums and couldn't find anything either. I found a few people mentioning the magic numbers at 125 and 250, and a few more calling bullshit. I can't find any proof anywhere man, and this should be all over if it makes such a big difference.

People talk about how important the BF2 config is for decent reg, and we all know that is the placebo effect.
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6208
When you cap the fps. . . does it stay there? Or does it go up and down.

Last edited by [HOF]Mercenary (2008-08-04 10:31:38)

Flaming_Maniac

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

It will max out at the FPS you set. If your machine starts slipping because it can't keep up, it will drop, but it will never go over that number.
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6208

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

It will max out at the FPS you set. If your machine starts slipping because it can't keep up, it will drop, but it will never go over that number.
No, sorry, I didn't explain, but that answered my question anyways. I was asking if your FPS stayed there, as it has no effect if the FPS is not constantly at the fps mark.

I will try to find a few examples.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6594|Area 51
Now why would you want to fire 30 rounds in half a second if one shot with my G3 is enough
Brasso
+1,549|6660

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

No, sorry, I didn't explain, but that answered my question anyways. I was asking if your FPS stayed there, as it has no effect if the FPS is not constantly at the fps mark.

Yes, he's saying that your FPS will never go higher than the maxfps cap, but it may go lower in a firefight or similar situations (because your computer can't render enough frames).
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6208

haffeysucks wrote:

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yes, he's saying that your FPS will never go higher than the maxfps cap, but it may go lower in a firefight or similar situations (because your computer can't render enough frames).
lol, I failed to explain again. I understand that, I was wondering if Flaming Maniacs fps stayed there, which it apparently does. If it didn't stay there constantly, it would explain why he can tell no difference. As it is, I have no clue.
Flaming_Maniac

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

lol, I failed to explain again. I understand that, I was wondering if Flaming Maniacs fps stayed there, which it apparently does. If it didn't stay there constantly, it would explain why he can tell no difference. As it is, I have no clue.
Yes, I lowered all my settings and I was standing on 125.

e6750, 2.75gb recognized ram, 8800GT
Brasso
+1,549|6660

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Yes, I lowered all my settings and I was standing on 125.

e6750, 2.75gb recognized ram, 8800GT
Oh, sorry, didn't realize that.  I would assume 125 makes a visible difference as they say the jump gain is around 8% or so.   I tried it myself and I didn't notice anything, although my FPS wasn't holding steady at 125 at some points.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Johnny_Extremer
I Am McLovin!!!!
+22|6290
I played on my friends Pc with a 7600 and he was only getting 30 fps and I noticed the fire rate drop tremendously. And are you talking about strafe jumps? Cause most easy or regular jumps fps doesn't really matter. 125 you jump farther and less high, and 250 you jump higher and less far. Hence why most servers don't allow 333 fps because you run silently and can Jump over barrels.

Last edited by Johnny_Extremer (2008-08-04 18:05:59)

Dilda13
{DAM}
+7|6342|Los Angeles
One way to test the jumping on crash is to try to jump over the wall next to the dumpster that everyone always sits on and shoots over the heli with. Right at the base of the 3 story building if you still do not know where I am talking about. 125 fps allows you to jump over that wall.
Flaming_Maniac

Johnny_Extremer wrote:

I played on my friends Pc with a 7600 and he was only getting 30 fps and I noticed the fire rate drop tremendously. And are you talking about strafe jumps? Cause most easy or regular jumps fps doesn't really matter. 125 you jump farther and less high, and 250 you jump higher and less far. Hence why most servers don't allow 333 fps because you run silently and can Jump over barrels.
If your speed increases as well you should jump higher and further in very close to equal proportions, because of the way your jump and run speed are calculated in relation to your frames per second.

Dilda13 wrote:

One way to test the jumping on crash is to try to jump over the wall next to the dumpster that everyone always sits on and shoots over the heli with. Right at the base of the 3 story building if you still do not know where I am talking about. 125 fps allows you to jump over that wall.
I must be thinking of the wrong dumpster?

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/iw3mp2008-08-0506-39-13-03.png
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/iw3mp2008-08-0506-39-37-89.png
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/iw3mp2008-08-0506-39-25-14.png

All on 20 FPS.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard