Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6273|England
As i said in the OP i am trying to garner peoples opinions on all religions and whether they protect their clergy, i am not trying to clobber one particular religion, but the most well known are the abuses by Catholic priests around the world.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5813|Dublin, Ohio

smuder201 wrote:

As i said in the OP i am trying to garner peoples opinions on all religions and whether they protect their clergy, i am not trying to clobber one particular religion, but the most well known are the abuses by Catholic priests around the world.
dont come around here much eh?
Monkey Spanker
+284|6273|England

usmarine2 wrote:

don't come around here much eh?
So what is your opinion on abuses of trust, by the clergy of it seems most religions, i know you said that they are crooks but the subject has moved along a bit since then, & i would be genuinely interested in what you think and how you think the problems can be tackled with in the laws of the countries concerned. Also how the religious leaders should react to the fact that the world is waking up to the fact of regular & systematic abuses by their clergy.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6467|The Land of Scott Walker

Lotta_Drool wrote:

IMO it just exposed what a fraud the religion is.  They expect men to go without sex to be closer to god, yet look at what happened.  Why?  because there is no god.
Nowhere in the Bible is celibacy required of clergy, yet the Catholic Church has mandated it.  Why, I'm not sure, but the results make it obvious that it's not working.  We were not created to be asexual beings.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5813|Dublin, Ohio

smuder201 wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

So what is your opinion on abuses of trust, by the clergy of it seems most religions, i know you said that they are crooks but the subject has moved along a bit since then, & i would be genuinely interested in what you think and how you think the problems can be tackled with in the laws of the countries concerned. Also how the religious leaders should react to the fact that the world is waking up to the fact of regular & systematic abuses by their clergy.
it doesnt matter what I think.  Until people stop following the invisible man in the clouds like a bunch of sheep, nothing will change.
Monkey Spanker
+284|6273|England

usmarine2 wrote:

smuder201 wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

it doesn't matter what I think.  Until people stop following the invisible man in the clouds like a bunch of sheep, nothing will change.
But people aren't going to stop believing in religion because their lives need filling with something to believe in and its easier to believe in as you put it the invisible man in the clouds, because all of their beliefs are written down for them so they don't have to think for themselves, or create their own belief system.

But it does matter what you think, i am genuinely interested in what you have to say, because abuse has nothing to do with religion.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5813|Dublin, Ohio
religion is an abuse in itself.  it gives people false hope.
Monkey Spanker
+284|6273|England
Do you not think that people need hope in their boring everyday lives that one day the may reach heaven and be with their god, its a human trait that some of them need hope in some form or another & religion gives them that hope. I don't think they care what type of hope it is tbh.

Last edited by smuder201 (2008-07-21 16:19:50)

jamiecracker
+17|6769|Wollongong,Australia
i dont think i have heard of an anglican priest abusing a child...most of the ones i have met or know  about are married with children
its not a question of momey as the catholic church has probably got more cahs than anybody else...its a matter of punishment if they get caught they should be sent to goal and get fucked up the arse by some big black guy called bubba and see how they like it

what really pisses me off is that we have had to pay 86 million dollars to get the pope here and then they charge 170 to get into the biggest mass or whatever it was for the world youth day and they get to keep that money...robbing bastards

Last edited by jamiecracker (2008-07-21 18:42:56)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6706|United States of America
Well, you can see who religiously intolerant in this thread.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina

smuder201 wrote:

Do you not think that people need hope in their boring everyday lives that one day the may reach heaven and be with their god, its a human trait that some of them need hope in some form or another & religion gives them that hope. I don't think they care what type of hope it is tbh.
There are many things people need psychologically, but even if a person does need that hope of a next life, their belief in it does not make it true.

Still, I would rather a person worship an invisible deity than the state.
Monkey Spanker
+284|6273|England

Turquoise wrote:

Still, I would rather a person worship an invisible deity than the state.
How very true, but what about those countries that have state religions as we have here in the UK, but tbh most of us in the UK are atheists i think i read in a study not long ago that only 9% of the white population actually go to church. but as jamiecracker said the church of England let their priests marry. Also at Desert Fox please tell me how you would try to solve the problem of abuse in the worlds religions.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6467|The Land of Scott Walker

smuder201 wrote:

Yet another member who needs a world religions class.  Disagree if you like, but try not to talk down to people regarding something about which you know very little.
Monkey Spanker
+284|6273|England

Stingray24 wrote:

Yet another member who needs a world religions class.  Disagree if you like, but try not to talk down to people regarding something about which you know very little.
Maybe you should learn not talk down to people and try to engage in debate rather than act like a fool that assumes that no-one but themselves is knowledgeable in the the worlds religions. I was asking people for a debate on child abuse in the worlds religions.

If you feel you must give a master class in the worlds religions please go ahead apparently there a quite a few members who are ignorant so please start another thread to do so, but if you feel you can add to this debate then please i really welcome your input in this subject instead of sweeping statements.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina

Stingray24 wrote:

smuder201 wrote:

His assessment seemed pretty true to me.  Religion is mostly a consequence of the environment you are raised in.  If you had been born in Saudi Arabia into a Muslim family, you'd probably be a devout Muslim rather than a devout Christian.

Then again, there are other reasons to believe, but most of these other reasons still revolve around hope for something better or more than this life.  In the case of Hinduists, they hope they are reincarnated into a better one.

Personally, I find this hope to be rather futile, but as always, we thankfully live in a free country where you can believe what you want.  What other people choose to believe in is of no concern to me until it involves people trying to push their religion on me through laws or when a religious institution is discovered to be harboring abusive authorities.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard