FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6531|so randum

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

If you want to live in the US you should speak English idt we should have to learn another language.
i would say that's a fucking retarded stance to take, but i'm speaking as a European, here a few hours travel could see you having to speak quite a few different languages.

But it's sorta different for the US i guess, as a few hours travel gets you...more US.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6375|tropical regions of london
lets deport all the wetbacks and beaners.  who cares about citizenship.
God Save the Queen
Banned
Why are my countrymen so content in being dumb asses?

Learn another language you retards.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-07-09 13:12:29)

13rin
+977|6510

God Save the Queen wrote:

Maybe one day we can all be bilingual dumbasses!
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
God Save the Queen
Banned

DBBrinson1 wrote:

hopefully that day is sooner rather than later.

have you ever been in another country?  have you ever talked to school aged children in what people here consider "3rd world".  Most people Ive spoken to in my travels know more than 2 languages.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-07-09 13:16:03)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6525|N. Ireland
Me encanta tomar clases de español

Although I do see that as a bit of an overkill on his front. Optional over mandatory of course ... in saying that I was forced to learn French in my current school and to be honest, I'm really glad I was. No more though
CameronPoe
+2,925|6587
Obama: "Immigrants should learn English." His unadulterated words.

Obama advocate of multi-lingualism? I'm ashamed I can only speak 2 languages fluently and another 2 badly. Some Europeans can speak 6 or 7.

Republican Translation: "Obama wants the US to become part of Greater Mexico with Obama deputising to Felipe Calderón."

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-09 13:23:01)

13rin
+977|6510

DBBrinson1 wrote:

hopefully that day is sooner rather than later.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for learning regardless be it a foreign language or geometry -It was just the way it was delivered.  I really don't think a host nation has the obligation to learn an outside visitor's (legal or not) language.  And, yes my son will be taking Spanish.  Our borders are broken, the damage has been done, "Send em' all home" and "blanket citizenship" are laughable -I really have no solution to offer.  Cept' to learn spanish.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
God Save the Queen
Banned
not just Europeans.  Iraqis.  Africans.  Argentinians.
13rin
+977|6510

CameronPoe wrote:

Obama advocate of multi-lingualism? I'm ashamed I can only speak 2 languages fluently and another 2 badly. Some Europeans can speak 6 or 7.

Republican Translation: "Obama wants the US to become part of Greater Mexico with Obama deputising to Felipe Calderón."
"Obama ain't gonna do shit about the border problem" -fixed
CameronPoe
+2,925|6587

DBBrinson1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Is McCain?

His speech had nothing to do with the border problem. Perhaps referencing a speech where he does state his position on it would be more appropriate. I'm sure neither he nor McCain intend to do a goddamn thing.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6525|N. Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

I don't see what the problem is with that, though. I can understand Spanish, but not learning the language of the country that you would be living in
CameronPoe
+2,925|6587

kylef wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I don't see what the problem is with that, though. I can understand Spanish, but not learning the language of the country that you would be living in
I'm not disagreeing with him. Certain posters are attempting to tout the little speech he made as some sort of capitulation to Mexico, despite those very words he uttered.
13rin
+977|6510

CameronPoe wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Is McCain?

His speech had nothing to do with the border problem. Perhaps referencing a speech where he does state his position on it would be more appropriate. I'm sure neither he nor McCain intend to do a goddamn thing.
Just as his speech had nothing to do with turning the us into greater mexico, but that's how you pegged me. 

Honestly Cam, I haven't a fucking clue what McCain's stance is today on the issue.

-It was the whole the "US need to do this to" attitude.  We don't need to accommodate more.  Hell, the guy sends his kids of a bigot of a pastor to be indoctrinated now he's telling me how to raise my kid?

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-07-09 13:35:41)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6525|N. Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

kylef wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with him. Certain posters are attempting to tout the little speech he made as some sort of capitulation to Mexico, despite those very words he uttered.
Sorry, didn't mean to assume I disagreed with you. Although I can't see how the words "immigrants should learn english" can possibly mean anything else.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6531|so randum

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm smarter than Cam wheeeyyy
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
13rin
+977|6510

kylef wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

kylef wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to assume I disagreed with you. Although I can't see how the words "immigrants should learn english" can possibly mean anything else.
That was merely a qualifier for the your kids should learn spanish bit. (And Cam knows it too)

*edit: I wonder if OBies kids speak spanish....

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-07-09 13:37:35)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6587

DBBrinson1 wrote:

That was merely a qualifier for the your kids should learn spanish bit. (And Cam knows it too)
So what do you gather he meant by it then? You think McCain ain't gonna go after the Hispanic vote or something? He'll be singing off a very similar hymnsheet. That's the problem with US politics - it's more a game of demographics and statistics than actual presenting a manifesto and sticking by it. The worst I saw was John Kerry going on that duck hunt. Who was he trying to fucking kid?
13rin
+977|6510

CameronPoe wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

So what do you gather he meant by it then? You think McCain ain't gonna go after the Hispanic vote or something? He'll be singing off a very similar hymnsheet. That's the problem with US politics - it's more a game of demographics and statistics than actual presenting a manifesto and sticking by it. The worst I saw was John Kerry going on that duck hunt. Who was he trying to fucking kid?
You fucking nailed it man.  Hell, say OB wins (not hard to imagine) then proceeds to do the citizenship deal. Ca'ching! 13 million extra voters.
I am biased as hell against Obama.  Change may be needed but my fellow citizens haven't a clue on what they are buying into.

*edit: Sorry, what I meant by it is that the statement of immigrents learning english is a given.  He used that as an intro got all of the crowds' head nodding and hands clapping, and then delievered the spanish bit. 

I really don't think that McCain is going to go out and preach that kids need to learn spanish.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-07-09 13:45:29)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6525|N. Ireland

DBBrinson1 wrote:

*edit: I wonder if OBies kids speak spanish....
There's nothing with bilingualism ... I support that 100% - but his first words were "immigrants should learn English" and that too is something I agree with. I think the reason he said Spanish because it is very similar to Mexican and Latin American ... and is so popular.

Last edited by kylef (2008-07-09 13:44:20)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6587

DBBrinson1 wrote:

You fucking nailed it man.  Hell, say OB wins (not hard to imagine) then proceeds to do the citizenship deal. Ca'ching! 13 million extra voters.
I am biased as hell against Obama.  Change may be needed but my fellow citizens haven't a clue on what they are buying into.
Personally I don't think he would, or even could, do something like that even as President. It would be 100% guaranteed political suicide for him and the entire Democrat party - obliterating any trust the people might have had in it forevermore. It would never get past the Senate and Congress. He ain't stupid. It can't be done and I don't see how any pros there might be would outweigh the gigantonormous cons.

The issue will fester for years if not decades because neither party will have the balls to deal with it.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-09 13:47:53)

CloakedStarship
+76|6597

I spent 3 years in public school taking Spanish courses, I didn't learn shit.  Passed the New York State Regents exam with an 84.  To this day, I still can't speak a coherent sentence in that language.

I hear elementary school is the time you should start learning a second language.  I had a roommate from Hungary in my freshman year of college, he said everyone was forced to learn English at a very young age.  He was almost fluent.

If Obama seriously wants our country to be bi-lingual, then the educational system is going to need a right kick in the ass.  Or Dora The Explorer should be made mandatory to watch at the age of 5.  One or the other.
13rin
+977|6510

CameronPoe wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Personally I don't think he would, or even could, do something like that even as President. It would be 100% guaranteed political suicide for him and the entire Democrat party - obliterating any trust the people might have had in it forevermore. It would never get past the Senate and Congress. He ain't stupid. It can't be done and I don't see how any pros there might be would outweigh the gigantonormous cons.

The issue will fester for years if not decades because neither party will have the balls to deal with it.
Kinda like our "fence" between Mexico/US.  As for will he do it?  I don't know.  That is the problem.  I haven't seen a candidate say so much while really saying nothing.  I think it would pass the Senate and Congress, as it is run by the Dems (especially if R's keep on losing seats).  Bush definitely got the voters pissed at Republicans.

Clocking out. picking up son. bye. Cheers!

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-07-09 13:55:18)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6525|N. Ireland

CloakedStarship wrote:

I spent 3 years in public school taking Spanish courses, I didn't learn shit.  Passed the New York State Regents exam with an 84.  To this day, I still can't speak a coherent sentence in that language.

I hear elementary school is the time you should start learning a second language.  I had a roommate from Hungary in my freshman year of college, he said everyone was forced to learn English at a very young age.  He was almost fluent.

If Obama seriously wants our country to be bi-lingual, then the educational system is going to need a right kick in the ass.  Or Dora The Explorer should be made mandatory to watch at the age of 5.  One or the other.
I'd say that is more down to your "want" to learn. I studied Spanish for 2 years and I'm not exactly fluent but I know all the main necessities that I need to, and can hold a basic conversation in it.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6531|so randum

kylef wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

I'd say that is more down to your "want" to learn. I studied Spanish for 2 years and I'm not exactly fluent but I know all the main necessities that I need to, and can hold a basic conversation in it.
No he's right

In Germany (and Holland IIRC), they learn languages at our primary level, your brains far more receptive to the idea then.

I caught onto German really well, but French and Spanish took a lot more work!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard