EVieira
+105|6499|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Its getting ridiculous here in Brazil. Gas prices are about 2,25 reals per liter, which is over 5 dollar to the gallon. Fortunately though I'm running on ethanol, which is half that. but still... Is anywhere more expensive that this? What the hell is going on? What is making the prices of oil go up so fast? I can't think of any reason other than speculation by the Illuminati... First they killed the electric car, now this...
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Commie Killer
+192|6408
By Illuminati you mean Big Oil Im guessing?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6550|Global Command

EVieira wrote:

First they killed the electric car, now this...
Right.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6728|67.222.138.85

ATG wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Right.
Automotive companies did kill the electric car years ago. I don't have time to dig it up now, but there is even a movie by that name that we own.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5849
Featuring Mel Gibson reprising his role from Conspiracy Theory.................
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6540|Πάϊ
Yeah, with 7.5$ a gallon here in Greece, the Illuminati must definitely be involved somehow
ƒ³
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6642|London, England
Fortunately though I'm running on ethanol, which is half that
So what are you complaining about, count yourself lucky.

wtf is this illuminati shit
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6693|UK
a supposed group of very powerful people that are hell bent on installing world order or already have done so. All very hush hush.

Bit like this lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilderberg_Group
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
jamiecracker
+17|6769|Wollongong,Australia
i think the illuminati control the power of street lights the world over and if we dont get stupid threads like this all the time keeping them mysterious and stuff,they will turn out the lights and we wont be able to see where we are walking....something like that anyway
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6563|Texas - Bigger than France

ATG wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Right.
Dunno if you've seen the price tag:

$130,000
AutralianChainsaw
+65|6219

Pug wrote:

ATG wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Right.
Dunno if you've seen the price tag:

$130,000
You have to wonder why they are able to build a rocket like that but are not able to build a regular car who will do 0-60mph in 13 sec for 25K for the regular guy.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6466|The Land of Scott Walker

jamiecracker wrote:

i think the illuminati control the power of street lights the world over and if we dont get stupid threads like this all the time keeping them mysterious and stuff,they will turn out the lights and we wont be able to see where we are walking....something like that anyway
So thaaaat's why all the street lights were off on my street last week. *hides*
Imagorilla
M95 > Apache
+5|5949|US of A
wow.... um how many times have you read Angels and Demons?.... all i can say is wow and lean back in my chair and laugh at you
Flaming_Maniac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed … ric_Car%3F

The short of it: automobile companies produced a perfectly good electric car as they were forced to do because of California law, but refused to sell it to anyone. They only let people drive it on a lease basis, which they happily did, but when the lease was up they were not allowed to renew the lease, even though many wanted to buy the car or at least update the lease. GM picked up all the cars and crushed them.
EVieira
+105|6499|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Whooa, wait a minute. I'm sorry the sarcasm wasn't evident. I don't really think the Illuminatti killed the electric car. But the price of oil has risen about 50% in the last 6 months. Is there some new war in the middle east I haven't heard about? Has China trippled its consumption these last months? Has OPEC secretely reduced production? I think there is alot more speculation of oil prices than anything else, and we are forced to pick up the tab.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6364|tropical regions of london
the illuminati are jewish vampires that run the vatican.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6559|Long Island, New York

God Save the Queen wrote:

the illuminati are jewish vampires that run the vatican.
Sssh, don't give away my secret.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6364|tropical regions of london
and the make a wish foundation
Imagorilla
M95 > Apache
+5|5949|US of A
that last caller is insane! Everyone knows women are made of sand!    ...gta3 reference XP

Last edited by Imagorilla (2008-07-06 14:21:58)

FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6552|Boston, MA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Right.
Automotive companies did kill the electric car years ago. I don't have time to dig it up now, but there is even a movie by that name that we own.
Please don't start talking about auto companies killing the electric car, the consumer killed the electric car. First off, the electric vehicle was the first automobile ever made, several years before the internal combustion engine. Secondly, there were multiple electric vehicles that tried to enter the market in the past century but they all failed due to low demand and high costs. The reason the roads aren't filled with electric cars now is because of the consumer. That movie was biased about the EV1, even the director admitted it (source: http://fyi.gmblogs.com/2006/12/mark_phe … kille.html ). Please don't blame auto companies about there being no electric vehicles on the road when the consumers didn't want them, unless you honestly expect companies to make electric vehicles for a major loss of money.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Mega image alert:

https://images.salon.com/comics/opus/2008/06/29/opus/story.jpg
https://images.salon.com/comics/opus/2008/07/06/opus/story.jpg
Flaming_Maniac

FrankieSpankie3388 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Right.
Please don't start talking about auto companies killing the electric car, the consumer killed the electric car. First off, the electric vehicle was the first automobile ever made, several years before the internal combustion engine. Secondly, there were multiple electric vehicles that tried to enter the market in the past century but they all failed due to low demand and high costs. The reason the roads aren't filled with electric cars now is because of the consumer. That movie was biased about the EV1, even the director admitted it (source: http://fyi.gmblogs.com/2006/12/mark_phe … kille.html ). Please don't blame auto companies about there being no electric vehicles on the road when the consumers didn't want them, unless you honestly expect companies to make electric vehicles for a major loss of money.
It wasn't all the automakers fault, the consumer base definitely had its share of the blame, and probably the majority.

Ripping cars already made and in use from the hands of owners that were more than willing to pay for them? Absurd.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6552|Boston, MA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It wasn't all the automakers fault, the consumer base definitely had its share of the blame, and probably the majority.

Ripping cars already made and in use from the hands of owners that were more than willing to pay for them? Absurd.
It sounds absurd at first but think about it, if you are a company as large as General Motors that has millions and millions of vehicles on the road and, I'm not sure how many but I know it wasn't a lot so I'm being generous by saying 1,000 EV1s on the raod that were already at a loss of money for you, would you continue support for them? They would have to continue to maintain these vehicles and support them by still making parts for them for replacements. It's just like a game that's just not popular, if hardly anybody uses it, all support will be cut off. I remember an online racing game called Motor City Online, you can look it up. It was a pretty good racing game but it was MMO so the servers were huge and required a monthly fee. Since hardly anybody was ever playing it since nobody wants to pay monthly for a racing game, they cut off all support to it and completely closed down all the servers and now nobody could play the game if they tried. That's the best analogy that I can think of but it brings out my point. I did a report on the EV1 earlier this year after all I saw was Who Killed the Electric Car? So I was on the same side you were on thinking GM got some inside cut from the oil companies and did this for their own profit. Granted that could be the case, but no matter how you look at it, GM probably pulled the EV1 project for their own best interest.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Right.
I heard on the radio about the demand issue (So it must be true ). FM's wiki link can refresh me.
  • From General MotorsGeneral Motors (GM) has responded through a blog post entitled Who Ignored the Facts About the Electric Car? by Dave Barthmuss of their communications department. He does not address the movie directly, since he claims not to have seen it, but tells GM's side of the story, about their big investment before and since the EV1, the limited market in spite of their efforts, and how they maybe could have handled the decommissioning better. A quote:"Sadly, despite the substantial investment of money and the enthusiastic fervor of a relatively small number of EV1 drivers — including the filmmaker — the EV1 proved far from a viable commercial success."He notes investments in electric vehicle technology since the EV1: two-mode hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and fuel cell vehicle programs. The filmmakers suggested that GM did not immediately channel its technological progress with the EV1 into these projects, and instead let the technology languish while focusing on more immediately profitable enterprises such as SUVs.Barthmuss claims that GM is, in fact, bullish on hydrogen:    Although hydrogen fuel cell technology was cast as a pie-in-the-sky technology by the moviemakers, GM is making great progress in fuel cell research and development and is on track to achieving its goal to validate and design a fuel cell propulsion system by 2010 that is competitive with current combustion systems on durability and performance, and that ultimately can be built at scale, affordably.
  • Critical rebuttal of GMThe movie pointed out that General Motors' customer survey may have served to lower demand. GM called interested customers and emphasized drawbacks to the car that were disputed by EV1 drivers. CARB officials have been quoted claiming that they removed their zero emission vehicle quotas in part because such surveys purported to show that no demand existed for the EV1s. Critics interviewed in the movie contend that the cost of batteries and electric vehicles would have been reduced significantly when mass production began, due to economies of scale.
  • From Edmunds.comKarl Brauer, editor-in-chief of Edmunds.com, a popular auto market web site, wrote his own criticism of the movie,[2] contrasting the interpretations in the movie with his own in a rumor/fact format. For example, regarding how GM negatively marketed the car, he said:    Rumor: There were 5,000 people who wanted an EV1, but GM wouldn't let them buy it.    Fact: There were 5,000 people who expressed interest in an EV1, but when GM called them back and explained that the car cost $299-plus a month to lease, went between 60 and 80 miles on a full charge, and took between 45 minutes and 15 hours to re-charge, very few would commit to leasing one (not too surprising, is it?). The film likes to quote a figure of 29 miles as the average American's daily driving needs, but that is a national figure and the EV1 was only sold in California and Arizona, primarily in Los Angeles. Anyone wanna guess what the average L.A. resident's daily driving need is? I'm betting it's higher than that national average....
GM's EV1 -- Who Killed Common Sense?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
They can pull the production, that's fine. The problem I see is why the hell were they crushing perfectly good cars that people wanted. Literally all they had to do was use the resources to take the money from people who were thrusting it at them (the movie had several people like that, even if it's only ten, why not?) and they wouldn't have any of it. Seems to me if nothing else it would have been good PR for them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard