Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6775|Singapore
LONDON (AFP) - - Oil prices hit record high points close to 144 dollars per barrel on Monday as the dollar fell further and amid a conference and protests staged in response to soaring crude, analysts said.

Brent North Sea crude reached a historic peak of 143.91 dollars a barrel and New York light sweet crude struck an all-time high of 143.67 dollars.
"The market remains well supported by the broad weakness in the dollar, ever increasing investor interest in commodities, persistent supply disruptions and geopolitical tensions," Sucden analyst Andrey Kryuchenkov said on Monday.
Crude futures have doubled in the past year and have risen by almost 50 percent since the start of 2008, when they breached 100 dollars for the first time, triggering fears over inflation and slower economic growth.
Consumer countries blame record prices on tight supplies amid strong demand and unrest in producer countries such as Iran, Iraq and Nigeria. In particular, they accuse OPEC of not producing enough crude.
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries insists that the weak dollar is at fault.
The dollar fell further against the euro on Monday, fuelling demand for oil, which is priced in the US unit, from traders holding stronger currencies, traders said.
After striking a fresh pinnacle, Brent North Sea oil for August delivery stood at 143.11 dollars a barrel, a rise of 2.80 dollars from Friday's close.
New York's main oil contract, light sweet crude for August delivery, was at 142.65 dollars, a rise of 2.44 dollars.
On Monday, high fuel prices sparked protests among hundreds of truckers across France, blocking main highways and snarling commuter traffic around Paris.
Meanwhile leading figures in the oil world gathered in Madrid for one of the industry's biggest events, with the search for a remedy to record crude prices again stymied by division about the causes.
A week after failing to deflate the price of crude at a summit in Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil producers and consumers will get another chance during talks here to explore ways of calming tense global energy markets.
Pressure is mounting for a response to ease the pain of consumers suffering from high fuel costs and a general increase in the cost of living as crude prices soar.
One of the main points of contention is the role of speculators, blamed consistently by producer countries for the doubling of crude prices over the last 12 months.
Western oil chiefs, backing the view of governments in consumer countries, insisted on Monday that speculators were the wrong target and that the failure of supply to match rising demand was the real cause.
Prices have also forged higher in recent weeks and months because of ongoing violence in Nigeria -- which is one of Africa's crude oil producers.
Production at Shell's main offshore oilfield in Nigeria has still not returned to full capacity after an attack by militants earlier this month, the Anglo-Dutch oil giant said on Monday.
Militants belonging to the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta attacked the Bonga platform located 120 kilometres (75 miles) offshore on June 19, forcing Shell to shut down production there and raising fears for the security of deep sea facilities in the region.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080630/t … b2fc3.html
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6662|London, England
$150 coming sooner than we all thought. God damn, I wish my family was in the Oil Racket
chittydog
less busy
+586|6876|Kubra, Damn it!

"Rise in oil prices again" has been a daily headline for a while now.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

$150 coming sooner than we all thought. God damn, I wish my family was in the Oil Racket
I think it was predicted this week. It being a big travel weekend in the US and such.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Chou
+737|6832
It happens because we swallow this shit, rise and stand up!
jsnipy
+3,276|6563|...

$150 lez do it

Chou wrote:

A moment of standing up won't fix generations of sitting down.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-06-30 10:27:32)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6662|London, England
OPEC should just switch to Euro's

Problem solved
Chou
+737|6832

jsnipy wrote:

$150 lez do it

Chou wrote:

Stay on your chair then.
jsnipy
+3,276|6563|...

Chou wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

$150 lez do it

Chou wrote:

Stay on your chair then.
So what are you proposing?
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6384|tropical regions of london
we need to invade iran already
Chou
+737|6832

jsnipy wrote:

Chou wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

$150 lez do it

Stay on your chair then.
Stop paying taxes and kill your gov. no really, it's time for the people to wake up and realise how buttfucked we are.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6686

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

hahaha I think the oil is gonna hit $200 a barrel
ReTox
+100|6540|State of RETOXification

Chou wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Chou wrote:

Stay on your chair then.
Stop paying taxes and kill your gov. no really, it's time for the people to wake up and realise how buttfucked we are.
Too right mate.  Add the speculators to that kill list also.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6384|tropical regions of london
lets just start drilling and refining our own oil!  then we could pay for our own army to defend our resources.  fuck the government, yay!
SealXo
+309|6577
The people need to start a rebellion against this shit.

Offshore drilling ftw!

Last edited by SealXo (2008-06-30 13:48:53)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6596
Drill schmill. It's time to forget about oil. Let market prices give us the signal this time: fuck oil, it's finite.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6486|The Land of Scott Walker
So what if it's finite, it's the most economical source of energy currently in use.  Why not use it while we can?  Oh that's right, we need to "go green" to save the earth.  Well that's funny, because I don't see anyone else around the world abandoning oil while they're howling at the US to do so.
The_Mac
+96|6266

CameronPoe wrote:

Drill schmill. It's time to forget about oil. Let market prices give us the signal this time: fuck oil, it's finite.
And shall we exist solely on pixie dust from here-to-forth?
Stingray24
Yes, we can use it to power the container ships across the oceans and the trains across our nations.  How about we can sprinkle some on our factories, too?  And Al Gore's house.  Maybe then it won't consume the energy of a small city.
The_Mac
+96|6266
I dunno, pixie dust might be a bit too pollutant causing. It is similar to biofuels which cause more damage to the atmosphere than regular gasoline.
Stingray24
Oh yeah, geez, the reflection off the dust probably reflects heat back to earth. And we can't use nuclear either because the greenies refuse to support that.  Wind power puts those big ugly towers in view of their houses, so they don't like those either.  Hydro power hurts the fishies.  I guess it's solar power then, eh?  Wonder how big the panels need to be in order to power a city .....
CC-Marley
+407|6870
Maybe this is some how in some waya terrorist attack. Who knows?..
CameronPoe
+2,925|6596
StingRay, TheMac - I'm sure your grandchildren will thank you when instead of putting money into developing alternative energy sources you continued to advocate milking the golden goose dry leaving them with a nice Mad Max world to contend with. I'm not talking about the environment here. I'm talking about sustainable energy. And I'm also talking about the entire world - not just the US. Try being a little more discerning in future. The world is facing the biggest problem it has ever faced in its entire history - the end of cheap energy (drilling just puts the collapse off for a short time, if at all) - and you guys seem content to sit by and watch everything implode.

Do you guys give the slightest shit about your children or your grandchildren (born or unborn as the case may be)?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-01 00:35:26)

CommonSense
Banned
+51|5977|New York

CameronPoe wrote:

StingRay, TheMac - I'm sure your grandchildren will thank you when instead of putting money into developing alternative energy sources you continued to advocate milking the golden goose dry leaving them with a nice Mad Max world to contend with. I'm not talking about the environment here. I'm talking about sustainable energy. And I'm also talking about the entire world - not just the US. Try being a little more discerning in future. The world is facing the biggest problem it has ever faced in its entire history - the end of cheap energy (drilling just puts the collapse off for a short time, if at all) - and you guys seem content to sit by and watch everything implode.

Do you guys give the slightest shit about your children or your grandchildren (born or unborn as the case may be)?
You're my hero.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6534|N. Ireland
I think I have come to the realization that oil is only going to keep rising. So news of "new highs" don't really alert me that much unless it has rocketed from the last jump. I have no problem with wind, obviously solar preferred. Down the road from me there is a house that just runs on wind power (they have their own wind...whatever they're called) in their garden. It actually looks quite nice, although I suspect that will change whenever thousands of them are being produced.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard