Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6718|England
hi,
ive just bought 2gb(2x 1gb) pc3200 high density ram for my system. i replaced my old 2x 512mb for these and i could pretty much play bf2 with everything on full gfx settings with an average fps of 45-50 (30fps when scoped in looking over large distances)
there was only one problem with the ram, the pc would sometimes crash when doing simple tasks like listening to music or on the internet, not on bf2?!!?!?!
so i decided to put my old 2x 512mb sticks in aswell to see if that would stop these crashes, which it did. but there is no difference in fps or loading times on bf2 when using 2gb or 3gb.
i ran a test on 3dmark 05 and they both came out with exactly the same average fps.
my mobo is a MSI K8N Neo4 - F
when using all 4 ram slots its supposed to slow the speed from 400mhz to 333mhz, but mine still says 400mhz?
is there anything i can do to make it ran any faster with 3gb of ram or is anymore than 2gb too much? or could my hard drive be a limiting factor here, its rather old, i think its like a 5400rpm 2mb buffer type thing

Last edited by Drykill (2006-02-28 15:13:46)

Teckademics
+1|6751|Savannah GA
ok listen... if you have a stick of slow ram then one stick of SUPER fast ram it will only run at the speed of the slower ram..  also you need a new hdd anything under 7200rpm is bad. whats the stats for the sticks of ram.. as im the timing ect ect.
dankassasin42o
+68|6705|Reefersyde, CA
Teckademics    ive seen those vids.    where can i get quality dash cams?

as for the topic,  only run the SAME kind of ram.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6718|England
i dont know it for each individual stick of ram but overall its running at 3-3-3-8 CR2 if that makes any sence to you? latency of 58.7ns and 2963mb/s read speed. the ram isnt very good by any standards, probabl the cheapest stuff you can find :\
as for the HDD's im after either a raptor drive or a SATA II drive, it will most likey be the SATA II as it is far cheaper
Teckademics
+1|6751|Savannah GA
hurm... where did you get the ram from newegg? if so links plz.

for dankassasin42o im jsut a random fan im not in anyof there videos and know as much about cameras as gorge bush dose with running the usa.
mpsmith
+5|6698
It is possible that one (or both) of the new DIMMs is bad. Also, you shouldn't expect a decrease in load time or increase in FPS just because you have more RAM. BF2 doesn't use all of 2Gb so having 3Gb won't make a difference. In fact, anything more than 2Gb in a non-64-bit OS (as in normal XP pro or home) you will actually see a decrease in performance for some operations.

[edit] and yes, your HDD sucks. You'll be fine with the SATA II. That should give you a decent boost with regards to loading, though not FPS (generally).

Last edited by mpsmith (2006-02-28 16:45:38)

Teckademics
+1|6751|Savannah GA

mpsmith wrote:

It is possible that one (or both) of the new DIMMs is bad. Also, you shouldn't expect a decrease in load time or increase in FPS just because you have more RAM. BF2 doesn't use all of 2Gb so having 3Gb won't make a difference. In fact, anything more than 2Gb in a non-64-bit OS (as in normal XP pro or home) you will actually see a decrease in performance for some operations.
bah dont you hate that.. i got 2 new sticks of corsair's xms ram (the shit with the leds on top) both shorted out in the first 12 hours. and put a brown spot on my mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820145559

not a bad way to blow 200 that shit was crazy fast untill it broke... but i got my money back and got new cd - dvd drives,heatsink,lights,psu. but this summer is going to be upgrade time again.. YAY.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6726
Its possible that your motherboard is trying to run your new ram at a faster speed than its designed to run at. If you could give us the timings for both your new and old RAM that would be helpful. Someone else mentioned that one or both of your ram sticks could be bad, and that is a possibility. However, bf2 is a very resource intensive program, and bad ram would almost certainly cause it to crash. To rule out bad ram sticks, you can download a program called memtest86... http://www.memtest86.com/ and let it run overnight. You should recieve 0 errors.

If I'm not mistaken the K8N is an Asus board, and those boards usually have a pretty good bios. You can try setting the memory timings in the bios manually, and see if that helps. If the timings on your ram are 3,3,3,8, then the appropriate settings in your bios should read as: CAS latency - 3, RAS to CAS delay - 3, RAS precharge - 3, cycle time - 8. Even if these settings appear correct in automatic mode, change it to manual and save. See if this helps at all.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6718|England
thanks for the help so far guys. the board is made my MSI as it has it written all over the box. i will get a new hdd within the next few days. i bought the ram from this guy over in the US http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … T&rd=1
as for the rest of the timings, i'll do it later, got to go to school now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard