• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • [news] AMD Must Double Processor Market Share to Survive
The#1Spot
+105|6578|byah
Even if Intel wins by getting rid of amd. The consumers lose.
CrazeD
+368|6711|Maine
This is why I hate AMD for buying ATi. They fucked themselves, and they fucked ATi.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6775|Salt Lake City

CrazeD wrote:

This is why I hate AMD for buying ATi. They fucked themselves, and they fucked ATi.
It really wasn't that bad of a move.  For AMD to ever get larger than they were they needed to supply a platform, not just a processor.  Their thought process on this was two fold.  ATi had a chipset division.  Bring them in and help work over their chipsets to be a good, stable chipset.  They accomplished that.  The second was that they wanted to implement graphics and the CPU within the same core.  Starting from scratch for a video chip is not easy.  ATi had that as well, so they essentially got two things they needed from a single company.

Did they pay too much for ATi, yes.  Of that I have no doubt.  However, you can't blame AMD for the current state of ATi, as the last chips put out from ATi were already in the works and nearly completed before AMD aquired them.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6453|Finland

ATi is now the part keeping AMD alive, They seem to have started gaining back some lost market shares too. I hope they get back on their feet as soon as possible. HD 3870 X2 showed to me that they indeed are doing much better now than a year ago.

AMD is scared shitless now after realising its current state and they said that they are working on something completely new to replace Phenom. Something that could compete against at least mid-end Intels. I hope it won't be released too late to save AMD...

I forgot the source but that came from AMD itself.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6492|The Twilight Zone

haffeysucks wrote:

Future - AMD will cease to be a CPU company but continue to produce GPUs.
AMD will cease to be a CPU company but will start producing Barbie dolls.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6825|Bulgaria
omfg, I am an AMD fan, I hope that in the near future they will grow stronger!!
Brasso
+1,549|6669

Nikola Bathory wrote:

omfg, I am an AMD fan, I hope that in the near future they will grow stronger!!
gl
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6363|New Haven, CT
I don't see their ship capsizing.
Brasso
+1,549|6669

nukchebi0 wrote:

capsizing is defined as completely flipping over right?  then i agree with you.  intel cannonballs are punching holes in their hull, and they'll sink slowly.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-05-07 20:40:58)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CrazeD
+368|6711|Maine

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

It really wasn't that bad of a move.  For AMD to ever get larger than they were they needed to supply a platform, not just a processor.  Their thought process on this was two fold.  ATi had a chipset division.  Bring them in and help work over their chipsets to be a good, stable chipset.  They accomplished that.  The second was that they wanted to implement graphics and the CPU within the same core.  Starting from scratch for a video chip is not easy.  ATi had that as well, so they essentially got two things they needed from a single company.

Did they pay too much for ATi, yes.  Of that I have no doubt.  However, you can't blame AMD for the current state of ATi, as the last chips put out from ATi were already in the works and nearly completed before AMD aquired them.
Before AMD bought ATi, ATi was king of graphics. All you biased nVidia fanbois can cry all you want, but pre-DX10, ATi was the best. After AMD bought them, they started spewing out weaklings that could barely compete with previous generation cards.

They also had no more money for R&D.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6453|Finland

CrazeD wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Before AMD bought ATi, ATi was king of graphics. All you biased nVidia fanbois can cry all you want, but pre-DX10, ATi was the best. After AMD bought them, they started spewing out weaklings that could barely compete with previous generation cards.

yeah. actually ATi's market share is the same as Nvidia had before 8800.

https://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2007-10/jpr_gfx_mkt_q3_2007_trends.png
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6363|New Haven, CT

haffeysucks wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

capsizing is defined as completely flipping over right?  then i agree with you.  intel cannonballs are punching holes in their hull, and they'll sink slowly.
Turning bottom up also refers to perished fish.

Regardless, the point was AMD isn't going under.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6620|SE London

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/200 … trends.png
And you've got to remember that a far greater chunk of ATis market share is laptops than nVidia.....
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6453|Finland

Bertster7 wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

And you've got to remember that a far greater chunk of ATis market share is laptops than nVidia.....
You saying ATi wasn't better seller in desktop GPUs before? Because they sure were... and nv has its fair share on laptop GPUs as well, not just ATi...

edit: Why does everyone remember only history AFTER 8800 series lauch and forget all those years when ATi was the king?

Everywhere I look I see ppl ignoring and complaining about ATi products and shouting "ATi card can't be that fast... It will never beat nv one... that benchmark is fake... "

Like HD 3870 X2 is indeed 20% faster than 9800GTX but still most ppl ignore that and say ATi sucsk and buy the 9800GTX. '

Also when ever I see ATi benchmarks going ok, all these nv boys start dissing and ignoring and shouting "FAKE FAKE FAKE" and when they see some unkown source releasing GT200 specs and benchies months before release they say " Yeah that benchmark is valid it will beat the crap out of ATi and ATi is going down...! "

really... come on... I keep switching my GFX card all the time from ATi to nv and back and I just don't understand this anti-ATi movement all over internet.

edit2: I didn't say that to you bertster... Just how I see thing are atm.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2008-05-08 04:39:37)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6620|SE London

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

You saying ATi wasn't better seller in desktop GPUs before? Because they sure were... and nv has its fair share on laptop GPUs as well, not just ATi...

edit: Why does everyone remember only history AFTER 8800 series lauch and forget all those years when ATi was the king?

Everywhere I look I see ppl ignoring and complaining about ATi products and shouting "ATi card can't be that fast... It will never beat nv one... that benchmark is fake... "

Like HD 3870 X2 is indeed 20% faster than 9800GTX but still most ppl ignore that and say ATi sucsk and buy the 9800GTX. '

Also when ever I see ATi benchmarks going ok, all these nv boys start dissing and ignoring and shouting "FAKE FAKE FAKE" and when they see some unkown source releasing GT200 specs and benchies months before release they say " Yeah that benchmark is valid it will beat the crap out of ATi and ATi is going down...! "

really... come on... I keep switching my GFX card all the time from ATi to nv and back and I just don't understand this anti-ATi movement all over internet.

edit2: I didn't say that to you bertster... Just how I see thing are atm.
ATi have always had a far larger share of the laptop GPU market than nVidia. Whereas nVidia have typically sold better in the desktop sector. This is not necessarily backed by performance, but it is how the market share breaks down.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6453|Finland

Bertster7 wrote:

ATi have always had a far larger share of the laptop GPU market than nVidia. Whereas nVidia have typically sold better in the desktop sector. This is not necessarily backed by performance, but it is how the market share breaks down.
yeah it was pretty even situation on those good old days. nV does have much greater production capabilities than ATi ever has had. Means they can toss out much more GPUs on market than ATi. I remember how there were 6800 Ultras available quite well but I had to wait for my brand new 600€ native pci-e highest clocked PE model of X800 long time.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • [news] AMD Must Double Processor Market Share to Survive

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard