apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6574|The lunar module

DonFck wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Isn't the U.S. economic history a long tale of ups and downs?
The economic history of the western world, you mean?

The current system works like that, everywhere. And no one has said that it's the only system there is, it's just the system that evolved from industrialization.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6572 … e01an5.png

The main problem seems to be, that during this short period of time (200 years?), we still haven't figured out how to even up the curve. Or is it that the peak is too tempting to resist?
Yeah, the big rollercoaster...

The only rollercoaster where the ride up is the fun part. And I don't like it either that on every ride down, there will be people falling off
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

DonFck wrote:

Or is it that the peak is too tempting to resist?
That is exactly what happened here. Banks started dropping rules and requirements for lending. Guess what? Loan defaults.

We had a housing boom a few years ago. Smaller banks were eager to get in on the action (Greed). The bigger banks bought and traded these loans. Predatory lending set in and that's where we are now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6368|New Haven, CT
Why did we have a McCain ad on the page that isn't discussing him?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-01-22 01:06:06)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

nukchebi0 wrote:

Why did we have a McCain ad on the page that isn't discussing him?
He didn't pay his google bill. We are going into a recession ya know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6760

rub wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rub wrote:

Europe is still doing much better then the US!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahaha.... thanks for that...  you crack me up...
See that's the the AMERICAN PROBLEM! Ignorance and overassesment
You saying that Europe is doing better than the US... just made me laugh... your statement was ignorant and an over assessment...

I work and pay my bills... and I realize that things will be challenging economically...

nothing against Europe... I'm positive that all of you work very hard also...
Love is the answer
CameronPoe
+2,925|6599

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rub wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

You saying that Europe is doing better than the US... just made me laugh... your statement was ignorant and an over assessment...

I work and pay my bills... and I realize that things will be challenging economically...

Why not let's talk about the subject matter of the OP and not have a US-Europe cock measuring contest this one time. [Not specifically directed at you Catbox]

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-22 01:36:40)

LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6423|MN
The Euro's may not be as affected by a recession in the US as say the US, but they most certainly will be affected.

Not a pissing match in any way.

My main concern is that the US dollar is getting weaker overall.  As we shutdown our buying machine, China is wanting to step in and fill in the void as much as they can.  I just don't know if they are ready yet.  I think they need a couple more years to fully capitalize on a US slide.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Reciprocity
+721|6624|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it'll be fun watching the DOW plummet below 11,500 tomorrow.  hell, maybe even 11,000.  it'll be like 2006-2007 never happened.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6594|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Kmarion wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Yeah and when the oil runs out/people start paying in Euros you'll be free to fuck up your economy without affecting ours.
Typical. Now for the real reason. Less spending by American consumers means less demand for Asian and European exports. Basic stuff.
Yeah and do you know why America can import so many European/Asian exports for them to buy?  Do you know that the US is the only country in the World able to import more than in exports (i.e make a loss) and why that is the case?  BECAUSE OIL IS TRADED IN DOLLARS! Now that is basic stuff.....

You can sigh and say "typical" like the US and Oil relationship is somehow misunderstood or an inaccuarte stereotype but I advise you do a little research into how the oil markets work.

Every country in the world has to buy US dollars to buy oil, and as every country needs oil it is the dominant force in the World market.  Once the oil runs out or people start trading in their own currencies the US will have to start exporting more than in imports and it's economy will have a much smaller global effect. 

The size of population and it's wealth mean it will always have some effect but not like it does now...

Sorry Kmarion, you may not want to face the truth but as soon as the US stops controlling oil, they lose the only thing that guarantees their "richest economy" status.  Oil has provided the US with a free meal ticket since WW2 but like any good thing it won't last forever I'm afraid.

......look out here come China and India!!!
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6266|Brisneyland
As is already mentioned economic cycles are a normal part of the sharemarket. We are probably overdue for a crash, the market was just looking for an excuse. In this case its bank greed. The stockmarket will recover as it always does, and will probably achieve higher highs. The trick is to wait out the initial period of instability and look for an entry point for your next buy in.

Remember that most companies (especially those not bank or property related) are the same as the were 2 months ago, they are just better value ( Warren Buffet works on a principle like this). You make money on the stock exchange if you buy when the markets low. It will probably get lower, but it pays to be ready to get back in.

Personally I prefer Dollar cost averaging, which means that I buy every month, this irons out fluctuations, and means that I get more value when the market is low.
-=]DeatH1337[=-
+51|6677|England
I did alright out of it, thanks to Northern Rock. Bought in @ 70pence for it to soar 40% just under a week later.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6854|Nårvei

No doubt the effects of a recession will hurt Europe also, locally the stockmarket in Norway already hurts as the uncertainty of the brokers is spreading - it's definately a bear market and prolly will be for a while ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Sorry Kmarion, you may not want to face the truth but as soon as the US stops controlling oil, they lose the only thing that guarantees their "richest economy" status.  Oil has provided the US with a free meal ticket since WW2 but like any good thing it won't last forever I'm afraid.

......look out here come China and India!!!
I face it more than you will ever know, I'm a Realtor. I am also aware of the necessity of energy independence.

Yeah and do you know why America can import so many European/Asian exports for them to buy?  Do you know that the US is the only country in the World able to import more than in exports (i.e make a loss) and why that is the case?
I know this, and because of the crunch the market will adjust. If you had understood the point I was making you would have seen that in order for the market to correct itself the United States will spend less overseas. That's why the other economies of the world are freaking out. We have had a trade deficit since the early 70's. Part of your worries and economic troubles are a result of your willingness to accept the imbalance of trade. I have about as much sympathy for you as I do for all the predatory lenders giving credit when they should not.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6706|USA
Guilianni says cutting corporate taxes will fix our economy.

LMAO!

BTW there is one candidate with an idea or two for the economy. And since it will crash anyway we could give it a shot eh?

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2008-01-22 18:47:13)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

For your review

Consumer Spending

Today, President Bush asked Congress to work with him to enact an economic growth package as soon as possible to keep our economy growing and creating jobs. By passing an effective growth package quickly, we can provide a shot in the arm to keep our fundamentally strong economy healthy and help keep instability in the housing and financial markets from more adversely affecting the overall economy. The President has asked Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to lead the Administration's efforts to forge an agreement with Congress so that we can deliver this needed boost to our economy as quickly as possible.

• Our economy has a solid foundation, but there are also areas of real concern. Our economy has seen the longest uninterrupted period of job growth on record – 52 months of job growth – but job creation has slowed recently. Consumer spending has been growing, but the housing market is declining. Business investment and exports are still rising, but the cost of imported oil has increased.   
  • The Administration has taken several steps to shore up the housing sector, and today the President again called on Congress to pass legislation to modernize the Federal Housing Administration and enable it to provide additional assistance to struggling homeowners.   
  • After careful consideration and discussion with Members of Congress, the President has concluded that action is needed to protect the health of the economy as a whole. The President's advisors and many outside experts expect that our economy will continue to grow over the coming year, but at a slower rate than we have enjoyed for the past few years – and there is the risk of a downturn. A growth package can help ensure that consumption and investment is sufficient to protect the health of the broader economy.
As Congress Considers A Growth Plan, Certain Principles Must Guide Its DeliberationsThe growth package:
  • Should be big enough to make a difference in an economy as large and dynamic as ours. A package that is about one percent of GDP would be sufficient to provide a boost to the economy.   
  • Should be built on broad-based tax relief that will directly affect economic growth, not Federal spending that would have little immediate impact on our economy.   
  • Should be temporary and take effect right away so we can get help to our economy when it is needed most.   
  • Should not include any tax increases.
To Be Effective, The Growth Package Should Bolster Both Business Investment And Consumer Spending, Which Are Critical To Economic Growth   1. An effective growth package must include tax incentives for American businesses – including small businesses – to make investments in their enterprises this year. Giving them an incentive to invest now will encourage business owners to expand their operations, create new jobs, and inject new energy into our economy in the process.   2. An effective growth package must also include direct and rapid income tax relief for the American people. Americans could use this money as they see fit – to help meet their monthly bills, cover higher costs at the gas pump, or pay for other basic necessities. Letting Americans keep more of their own money should increase consumer spending and lift our economy at a time when people otherwise might spend less. President Bush Continues To Call On Congress To Make Tax Relief PermanentWhile passing a new growth package is our most pressing economic priority, Congress needs to turn next to the most important economic priority for our country – making sure the tax relief that is now in place is not taken away. The President's tax cuts are set to expire in less than three years. If Congress allows that to happen, we will see an end to many of the measures that have helped our economy grow – including the 10 percent individual income tax bracket, repeal of the Federal death tax, reductions in the marriage penalty, the expansion of the child tax credit, and reduced rates on regular income, capital gains, and dividends. This would mean that:
  • A single mom with two children and $30,000 in earnings would see her taxes go up by 67 percent.   
  • An elderly couple with $40,000 in income would see their taxes go up by about 155 percent.   
  • Twenty-six million small business owners would see their taxes increase by nearly 17 percent – or about $4,000 on average.

The Administration Has Taken Steps To Help Struggling American Homeowners

In September, the President and his Administration launched a new initiative at the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) called FHASecure. FHASecure expands the FHA's ability to offer refinancing by giving it the flexibility to work with homeowners who have good credit histories but cannot afford their current payments. By the end of 2008, the FHA expects this program to help more than 300,000 families refinance their homes.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson have facilitated the private-sector HOPE NOW alliance. HOPE NOW has developed a plan under which up to 1.2 million homeowners could be eligible for assistance. This plan will help subprime borrowers who can afford the current, starter rate on a subprime loan, but would not be able to make the higher payments once the interest rate goes up.

President Bush signed the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007, which will help Americans avoid foreclosure by protecting families from higher taxes when they refinance their home mortgages. This Act created a three-year window for homeowners to refinance their mortgage and pay no Federal taxes on any debt forgiveness they receive.

Congress Has More Work To Do To On Measures To Help Families Stay In Their Homes

The President has called on Congress since August to complete work on responsible legislation modernizing the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). This bill will give FHA the necessary flexibility to help hundreds of thousands of additional families qualify for prime-rate financing.

Congress needs to pass legislation permitting State and local governments to help troubled borrowers by issuing tax-exempt bonds for refinancing existing home loans. Under current law, cities and States can issue tax-exempt bonds to finance new mortgages for first-time homebuyers, but States are unable to do the same for homeowners seeking to refinance.

Congress needs to pass legislation to reform Government Sponsored Enterprises (GSEs) like Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. GSEs provide liquidity to the mortgage market that benefits millions of homeowners, and it is vital that they operate safely and soundly. The President has called on Congress to pass legislation that strengthens independent regulation of the GSEs and ensures they focus on their important housing mission.

The President strongly believes that government assistance must be responsible – the wrong answer, such as a bailout, could actually prolong the problem.

Congress Can Help Facilitate Long-Term Economic Growth By Expanding Opportunities For Trade And Investment And Maintaining Fiscal Discipline

The President has asked Congress to level the playing field for American workers and farmers by quickly approving free trade agreements with Colombia, Panama, and South Korea. Last month, President Bush signed legislation approving the U.S.-Peru free trade agreement, and Congress should build on this progress by approving these three remaining agreements. Congress should also reauthorize and improve the Trade Adjustment Assistance program to help workers affected by trade take advantage of this growing, dynamic economy.

President Bush remains committed to fiscal discipline and balancing the budget by 2012. The President's commitment to keeping taxes low and spending in check is helping us reach our goal of a balanced budget – the deficit in 2007 was 1.2 percent of GDP, which is lower than the average of the last 40 years.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

This should help the tech Market tomorrow.

*Fingers Crossed*
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6624|the dank(super) side of Oregon
today was such a disappointment.  I was expecting big fat 10% nose dive on the DOW, instead, I make 5%.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6750

nukchebi0 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I'm very responsible thank you very much . You guys are just worried we won't be buying your exports. Can you blame us for tightening our belts?
I think the problem is with Americans spending money that doesn't exist. The credit culture there sets us all up for a fall. The American government seems to think it can spend itself into perpetual growth - which is a little retarded, you can't keep spending forever! I wonder what the next president of America, John McCain, plans to do about the mess.
Agree wholeheartedly.

One question: Why do you foresee McCain as the next president?
Oh, I hope not.
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5999|Minnesota
the dollar is worth like 50 cents right now
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

clogar wrote:

The Canadian Dollar grows every time we cut the rates. The American dollar has a lower yield, but hopefully Canadians will inject some of it back into the US economy when they start demanding cheaper US goods.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5999|Minnesota

Kmarion wrote:

clogar wrote:

The Canadian Dollar grows every time we cut the rates. The American dollar has a lower yield, but hopefully Canadians will inject some of it back into the US economy when they start demanding cheaper US goods.
lets hope someone helps us out
rub
+3|6161

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rub wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Okay Cowboy,whatever! You will see!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

rub wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rub wrote:

Okay Cowboy,whatever! You will see!
Cowboy is no insult...lol. It's usually someone who bust their ass while working to provide for their families. It is an honorable lifestyle. I'd take it as a compliment.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
NantanCochise
+55|6022|Portugal/United States
You girls can kick and scream for all you want, read what you will, but I tend to get my information on what I can see and what I experience on the ground. I spend my time between Europe and the US and while some of you think the European economy is so great and that the US economy is in such bad shape, you all couldnt be further from the truth. Everyone I know in Europe is struggling to get a job, the ones that make it are underpaid and pay high taxes. So many of my clients in Europe are going bankrupt and cant pay inhibiting them from further business exploits. So many companies in Europe see the weak dollar as an advantage for buying high tech American products at a bargain, but the European Commission is taxing those imports making it harder for these companies to get them and so being forced to buy within Europe at a higher price. Dont get me wrong, things in the States are not as good as they once were, but I go into a supermarket and get all I need. I spend about $100 for the week. When Im in Europe I spend about 90 Euros-thats 130.48200 U.S. dollars. Besides NY, LA and San Fransisco, housing in the States is cheaper. Cars are a lot cheaper. I pay less tax in the States and my co-workers in Europe get paid two fifths less than their American counterparts. Gas is still cheaper in the US and so is public transportation. Half of my friends in Europe are still living with their parents- and half of them are in their thirtys-they are unmarried and have no children. Thats a whole different story in the States where 100% of my friends live outside the family home and more than half are married and two thirds already have kids. Im now in the States and its time for lunch, think Ill go out to eat, I can afford it here as I know Ill spend about 10 dollars, something I couldnt do so easily in Europe.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6693
This has been the case for the last ~70 years..

Solution: Open arms to Euro tbh.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard