Poll

If You Could Have Only One, Which One Would You Choose?

My faith18%18% - 35
World Peace81%81% - 153
Total: 188
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6566
my stupid fucking ipod made me accidentally click my faith. how selfish can a person be to vote that way? i mean seriously, wtf.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6606|British Columbia, Canada

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

Since I'm more of an atheist this is rather easy. World peace anytime.
mikkel
+383|6645

Stingray24 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

1st - Faith and peace is not an either/or situation. 

2nd - Peace will not occur on earth until Christ returns. 

3rd - Worship can be exhibited by outward actions, however most of it is internal.  Hence, no way anyone could know if I'm worshiping or not.

4th - How can it be true "peace" if people are forced to renounce their faith?  Sounds more like communist China than peace.
Well, how can a reborn Christ bring "true peace" on a planet where faith in him is a minority, if renouncing faith excludes the possibility of it? Is he just going to magically change the way people see things, and isn't that in itself forcing people?
Renouncing faith would automatically exclude the possibility of a peace made by humanity.  Christ will accomplish peace by restraining evil (Satan) for 1,000 years.  The Bible details this in the Book of Revelation.
So people doing evil are doing this only because they're influenced by Satan? Is this to say that religions opposing Christianity are the work of Satan, or that people only act on the calls of these religions because of him? It seems like he racked up a fair few enemies in his time.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-01-09 09:59:17)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687

Stingray24 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

1st - Faith and peace is not an either/or situation. 

2nd - Peace will not occur on earth until Christ returns. 

3rd - Worship can be exhibited by outward actions, however most of it is internal.  Hence, no way anyone could know if I'm worshiping or not.

4th - How can it be true "peace" if people are forced to renounce their faith?  Sounds more like communist China than peace.
Well, how can a reborn Christ bring "true peace" on a planet where faith in him is a minority, if renouncing faith excludes the possibility of it? Is he just going to magically change the way people see things, and isn't that in itself forcing people?
Renouncing faith would automatically exclude the possibility of a peace made by humanity.  Christ will accomplish peace by restraining evil (Satan) for 1,000 years.  The Bible details this in the Book of Revelation.
most of the world does not believe in that book of yours.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6523|Somewhere else

agnostic....so...

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-01-09 10:06:20)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6594|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
As an athiest it was a pretty easy decision.

I think you should re-word to 'religion' though as "faith" means your ability to believe in something you can't definitely prove.  I have faith my car will start almost every morning for example.  I can't prove it til I turn the key at 8 am. I'd hate to think I'd be trading World Peace for Paranoid Schizophrenia.

Besides, anyone who has said faith, no matter how religious they proclaim to be is a hypocrite.  The question implies that only you'd be affected so morally you should be willing to trade you life for World Peace if you think about it.  The point of most religions is World Peace so how could you justify keeping your religion over saving and incalcubale amount of lives?  Sanctity of life and all......
=OBS= EstebanRey

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Atheism is a religion, or at the very least a cult as much as typical religion is. You can't say if you believe in God anymore you have to give up that belief for world peace, but if you already don't believe in God than you can just go for world peace. Believing there is no God makes just as little sense as believing in God, serge you're just letting your personal views bias your opinions.
I hate this argument from believers and does not hold water.  Firstly Atheism and Religions are the same only on the basis that they share a name to describe a group of people who hold similar beliefs; but that then makes Republicanism or Vegetarianism a religion too.

For something to be a Region it has to contain a common set of belief systems.  Those belief systems in turn hold accepted beliefs.  Atheism is just one belief, that God doesn't exist, there are no other "rules" or related beliefs required.  Atheism isn't even a belief system let alone a Religion. 

In the same way that just having belief a God exists does not make you a Christian/Muslim/Jew etc simply believing God does not exit does not make one religious.

You put the safety net of Atheism being a "cult" in there and if you're being economical with the definition of the word I suppose you can just about get away with it.  Most people colloquially would infer cults as having rituals and at least one belief system.  Again if the belief on one topic, whether God exists or not, makes a cult then so does having a favorite colour or an opinion on what car is the best. 

Atheism has no morals rules or codes of conduct, it has no views or codes on any subject as it is simply the word for "without theism".
stef10
+173|6526|Denmark
space issssss greaT.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6733|Tampa Bay Florida
Guess who'd say "my faith"?  Bin Laden.

Who gives a shit if in reality its not an either/or decision.  This is a hypothetical.  Those 26 who voted for "My faith" are fucking delusional nutjobs.
topal63
. . .
+533|6762

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

dayarath wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

By saying "atheists believe there's no God" I'm describing an Agnostic?  An Agnostic is a person who hasn't the necessary knowledge to claim there is or not a God.
and agnostic person says he doesn't know wether there is a god or not.

An atheist knows there is no god.
Atheism in my view isn't necessarily a belief.  It's a lack of belief.  It is not affirming the lack of a god, it is simply refusing to accept a belief in god.  There is a difference.

Atheism is similar to religion in one major way - everyone's interpretation of what it is to be * differs.  In that sense, religion and atheism are more a philosophical question of self than anything else.
(IMO) Atheism is even less than that... actually. And (another IMO), there is no relationship of it to religion whatsoever.

Tis not a conviction, tis not a concern, tis not a belief - one does not have to deny that which one never affirmed; or could not find a single reason or fact to affirm; in the first place. Atheism is simple. It does not concern itself with endless, nonsensical and utterly pure conjecture (rooted in a mutating parochial mythical tradition... questions about god and religion along those lines are more akin to cultural anthropology rather than philosophy). Atheism simply means you've moved on (maybe, even beyond concerning yourself with god-conjecture).

It is like the moment in "The stranger" (A. Camus) when the priest is pressing the familiar sentimental appeal to god-argument as a consolation for a hopeless situation (or even a replacement for honest human hope). And Meursault is utterly irritated by the priests lack of clarity for the reality existing before and for them both. "Doesn't he see? Can't he see!" The guillotine waiting for Meursault is no different than the biblical "ye shall surely die" the only difference is knowing that certain date with death in Meursault case which has given him blinding clarity.

This culminates in a brief treatise on "certainty" and the "desire for life." He may not be certain about god-conjecture (does such exist? might something exist? who knows? only god knows? or knows not?); but he is definitely certain about things that he is not interested in; and that is god. He does not want to waste a single minute of his (now remaining short life) on god. What does exist is the desire to live; what would/could appeal to him is possibility; even the tiniest remotest possibility; that he could escape immediate-certain fate (the guillotine); and experience life... the desire for life.

As he contemplated the stone walls of his cell he did not contemplate finding god there...

"I said I had been looking at the stones in those walls for months. There wasn't anything or anyone in the world I knew better. Maybe at one time, way back, I had searched for a face in them. But the face I was looking for was as bright as the sun and the flame of desire – and it belonged to Marie."

Speaking of things more interesting (and real) than god, how is that (out-of-your league) cutie doing you were seeing a few months back. Still encountering that life; the flame of desire that has a name?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687
most atheist i find arent really areligious.  just angry at society.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-01-09 11:53:05)

siciliano732
+202|6693|New York
i dont think there is a such thing as an athiest.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687
I think I recognize angry youth pretty well.  seems everyone is so concerned about advertising their lack of belief.  sounds more to me like a fad or teen angst.  ya know Im atheist but I feel like it cheapens my convictions if I flaunt it every chance i get.  Like I said earlier in this thread, another topic where everyone gets to post about how much of a championship atheist they are.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-01-09 11:59:54)

=OBS= EstebanRey

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I think I recognize angry youth pretty well.  seems everyone is so concerned about advertising their lack of belief.  sounds more to me like a fad or teen angst.  ya know Im atheist but I feel like it cheapens my convictions if I flaunt it every chance i get.  Like I said earlier in this thread, another topic where everyone gets to post about how much of a championship atheist they are.
At 66, Richard Dawkins must be the oldest suffer of "teen angst" in the world.  I think you're getting mixed up with communism unless you live in a highly religious part of the World, then I could see why someone might use it to be rebelious but otherwise it's BS I'm afraid.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6512
How are the to mutually exclusive?
Des.Kmal
+917|6662|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

G3|Genius wrote:

My faith.  If I'm not willing to stand up for what I believe in, then I'm simply shallow.  A lack of conviction is a product of indifference.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
jord
+2,382|6722|The North, beyond the wall.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Can't see atheism being a fad... I think you'll find as time goes on more and more people will fall into the Atheist/Agnostic category.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

At 66, Richard Dawkins must be the oldest suffer of "teen angst" in the world.  I think you're getting mixed up with communism unless you live in a highly religious part of the World, then I could see why someone might use it to be rebelious but otherwise it's BS I'm afraid.
simply from reading any post that has anything to do with religion, you have dozens of people so fast to proclaim their lack of belief.   Im sorry if you dont see it as I do, but I doubt most of these folks are really atheist.
topal63
. . .
+533|6762

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

simply from reading any post that has anything to do with religion, you have dozens of people so fast to proclaim their lack of belief.   Im sorry if you dont see it as I do, but I doubt most of these folks are really atheist.
By folks, you mean young-kids who don't know shit about shinola? Who are "these folks?" Just curious... no biggie.
_______

PS: FYI, I decided to post something in this thread just to say HI to KEN, and work-in a Camus reference whilst doing it.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-01-09 13:16:24)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+795|6728|United States of America
I'd like to know how so many people consider this an "easy decision." Someone apparently got the fool idea that you only have faith if you worship a god and it's spread like wildfire. Faith isn't the word I would have chosen for this particular topic, but it still gives the gist that you're giving up what you believe in (as in having or not having a god) for world peace. I highly doubt the other hundred people who voted are that selfless.
Lai
+186|6195

DesertFox- wrote:

I'd like to know how so many people consider this an "easy decision." Someone apparently got the fool idea that you only have faith if you worship a god and it's spread like wildfire. Faith isn't the word I would have chosen for this particular topic, but it still gives the gist that you're giving up what you believe in (as in having or not having a god) for world peace. I highly doubt the other hundred people who voted are that selfless.
Does that also mean that you consider not giving up what you believe in for world peace selfish?
DesertFox-

Lai wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Does that also mean that you consider not giving up what you believe in for world peace selfish?
No, but someone earlier called us 27 selfish.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687

topal63 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

By folks, you mean young-kids who don't know shit about shinola? Who are "these folks?" Just curious... no biggie.
_______

PS: FYI, I decided to post something in this thread just to say HI to KEN, and work-in a Camus reference whilst doing it.
a lot of DST posters.   Most atheist I know in person (not that many actually, Im surprised.) are pretty consistent
jord
+2,382|6722|The North, beyond the wall.

DesertFox- wrote:

Lai wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Religion would of been a better word?
DesertFox-

jord wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Lai wrote:

Religion would of been a better word?
Certainly not. The atheists would make the argument that they do not have a religion while I would say then they are members of the [Your Name] sect that has an atheist tendency since no two people can possibly have the same beliefs to the same extent about everything. Everybody is their own religion but have tendencies in certain directions. However, I digress and reiterate I would have used the word "beliefs" in the title, as it covers religion, politics, philosophy and all that jazz.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard