unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

http://movies.ign.com/articles/842/842098p1.html

Jackson Returns to The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings filmmaker set to produce two more Tolkien-based flicks.

December 18, 2007 - Peter Jackson, director of New Line's wildly successful Lord of the Rings trilogy, is officially returning to J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy realm as producer of a two-film adaptation of The Hobbit.

Jackson and New Line had been at odds after the filmmaker sued the studio claiming that he hadn't gotten a fair share of profits on The Fellowship of the Ring. At one point the dispute even erupted into a public war of words with PJ and New Line honcho Bob Shaye trading jabs in the press. But it appears that the prospect of another big-screen blockbuster (or two) was enough to entice both sides to kiss and make up.

Now, according to press release issued this morning by New Line, Jackson and filmmaking partner Fran Walsh are set to serve as executive producer on two Hobbit movies that will be shot simultaneously. A director hasn't been picked yet, but production is set to start in 2009 with the first installment debuting on the big screen in 2010. The Hobbit's conclusion will follow in 2011.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle-earth."

MGM and New Line will co-finance the movies with New Line distributing in North America, and MGM handling overseas distribution.

The studio and filmmakers have also announced the launch of an official production blog at www.thehobbitblog.com.
Is it necessary to make two films out of this? I think the story could be adequately told in 240 minutes or less, like each 'Lord of the Rings' film. But way to wring money out of movie-going and DVD-collecting audiences.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6523|so randum
If they produce the movies as well as LOTR, i couldnt give a fuck if they split it into 4 films.

Would be good to see the Silmarillion done though.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Smithereener
+138|6339|California
Two movies? I don't know how it'd be split... Kinda stupid IMO.

FatherTed wrote:

Yes.
Dragonclaw
+186|6328|Florida

FatherTed wrote:

If they produce the movies as well as LOTR, i couldnt give a fuck if they split it into 4 films.

This.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6523|so randum
Silmarillion = Amazing.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
BlackKoala
+215|6348
One will be an adaptaion of J.R.R. Tolkien's THE HOBBIT. The second project is believed to be a bridge between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy - culled from the titanic amount of periphery/ancillary/notated material found in Tolkien's works. Such material can already be seen in the exiting films.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35108
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6523|so randum

BlackKoala wrote:

One will be an adaptaion of J.R.R. Tolkien's THE HOBBIT. The second project is believed to be a bridge between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy - culled from the titanic amount of periphery/ancillary/notated material found in Tolkien's works. Such material can already be seen in the exiting films.
Ooo well the second one will be interesting then! Cheers for this!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

FatherTed wrote:

BlackKoala wrote:

Ooo well the second one will be interesting then! Cheers for this!
Ah, now there's a method behind the madness. I couldn't imagine The Hobbit spanning two movies, not when I read the book about 20 times faster than its successors.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6765|FUCK UBISOFT

BlackKoala wrote:

its credibility is now lost.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6491
Jackson's LoTR movies didn't scratch the surface of the books. The books were fucking deep, like really deep. So deep if not properly prepared (like I was by my physics teacher) you would drown.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6552|Global Command
Awesome!
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6591|Mountains of NC

and hopefully he can squezee in Halo (triology from the books not the games)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6426|Alberta, Canada
Of course, I was fucking angry that Jackson had changed the story in ROTK.
First of all, Pippin was supposed to die by the troll falling on him.
And the story didn't end all happy either. What about Saruman in the shire FFS?
Dragonclaw
+186|6328|Florida

Heavy_Guns_91 wrote:

What the hell? Pippin didnt die, what book did you read?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6523|so randum

Heavy_Guns_91 wrote:

Pippin doesn't die. But yes, they missed out lots and lots.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6797|Noizyland

Pippin never died in the book, but yeah Jackson never put in Saruman's death at the hands of Wormtongue, although I think it's in either the extended DVD or deleted scenes or something. In "The Fellowship of the Ring" Jackson never put in anything relating to Tom Bombadil either, considering that part of the book to be too boring. Anyway when regarding the third LOTR film it was 200 minutes long, 252 minutes for the extended edition - long enough in my opinion. Although Jackson cut a few bits out he never changed anything that was crucial to the story, for instance something like a main characters's death, (and I stress again that Pippin never dies in the book.)

Awesome news about Jackson getting over his row with New Line, he is the best man for the job there's no denying that. It's also cool that it'll probably be filmed here again, I wonder if I can get a job relating to the film like last time.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

Wormtongue backstabbed Saruman in the extended edition, but yeah. Lots of people were looking forward to the scouring of the Shire, especially after the vision in Fellowship. I understand Bombadil being chucked from the film, because he didn't play a very influential part in driving the plot along. Still sad.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-18 23:48:39)

=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6389|California
there better be more fight scenes!
or a nude part like 300!
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|6007|Halifax, West Yorkshire

FatherTed wrote:

Pretty much sums it up.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Wormtongue backstabbed Saruman in the extended edition, but yeah. Lots of people were looking forward to the scouring of the Shire, especially after the vision in Fellowship. I understand Bombadil being chucked from the film, because he didn't play a very influential part in driving the plot along. Still sad.
You're right he didn't move the plot along but he epitomised the reason for the quest to destroy the ring and those chapters where the Hobbits spend time with him really do explain in depth why destroying the ring was so important. It really is a pity he was left out, even if some of his character was embodied by Treebeard.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6428|NSW, Australia

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

there better be more fight scenes!
or a nude part like 300!
no.

edit: the reason the scouring of the shire was left out was because the bit PJ was focusing on was the destruction of the ring, and he thought it would be anti-climatic to have the ring destroyed then do the whole shire thing. (yay for special features)

Last edited by XxRavenxX (2007-12-19 00:22:20)

Afrika_18
+26|6565
and they totally left out the part where Frodo fucks Galadriel when they meet in the glade after dark (this was implied in the book by the style of writing).
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|6007|Halifax, West Yorkshire

Afrika_18 wrote:

and they totally left out the part where Frodo fucks Galadriel when they meet in the glade after dark (this was implied in the book by the style of writing).
I'm affraid I'm going to have to ask you to back this statement up with evidence. Visa vis. Pics or gtfo.
cablecopulate
+449|6761|Massachusetts.
A producer can be very hands on or be not really involved at all. I hope he's the former. I'd rather he was directing and producing. He's obviously got the eye for the series. Regardless if you didn't like the changes made, you have to admit he did a great job with everything on screen. He had better hand-pick the director if it's not going to be him.
BolvisOculus
Spagett!
+167|6642|Manitowoc, WI

Ollie wrote:

Afrika_18 wrote:

I'm affraid I'm going to have to ask you to back this statement up with evidence. Visa vis. Pics or gtfo.
I promise you, there is a good chance there are pics of that on the internet.  Not that I go to 4chan at all, but rule 34.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
Nice! I loved the Hobbit!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard