Ace.O.Lamb
Got Lamb?
+56|6319|Outside your Back window
Does the UK or anywhere else in the world still have air raid sirens? You know the cool sounding noise that is always in some ww2 documentory. If so where does the sound come from? are there special air raid siren speakers hidden in lamposts or something?!!!
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6492|Chicago, IL

Ace.O.Lamb wrote:

Does the UK or anywhere else in the world still have air raid sirens? You know the cool sounding noise that is always in some ww2 documentory. If so where does the sound come from? are there special air raid siren speakers hidden in lamposts or something?!!!
not anymore
']['error
Banned
+630|6689|The Netherlands
in the Netherlands we test them every first day of the month, so yeah we have them. I guess the UK also has them, but they will only be used when really needed, so you probably don't know they're there.
Entertayner
+826|6616

Nah, we'd get an e-mail from the queen.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6501|The edge of sanity
We got em in Indiana. TThe fuckers go off every now and then for tornados, shit like that plus they test em every once in a while
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6675|Washington, DC

France still has them, they test them out like the first Wednesday of each month at noon or so (at least in Paris). I got to hear them when I went there last summer =p
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6803|Denmark
In Denmark we still have them.. they test them each year..
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6456|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
https://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/SplinterStrike/airsiren.gif

This is a VERY slow representation of an air raid siren. These things usually spin at about 7000 RPM. Gonna get the sound file when its uploaded.

The siren above is a newer one, but it shows how it works in essence. Air goes in through the intake, and is blasted out of the assembly when the rotor aligns itself with the holes of the cage, giving you the sound.

The classic "air raid tone" from WWII and Cold War is caused by a dual-tone siren. These ones have a single motor mounted horizontally with a rotor/stator assembly on either end. One rotor had 10 vanes, while the other had 12. The WWII sirens were mostly hand cranked, but some were electrically operated.

Sound file of an air raid siren: http://www.airraidsirens.com/mp3/carterhand.mp3 (Quicktime required)

Lastly, the US apparently still has some left over from the Cold War, but they are mostly used on air and armed forces bases.

Disclaimer: This information was simplified by me as to make it more understandable and to skip roundabouts.

Last edited by SplinterStrike (2007-06-06 10:26:46)

$niperkiller
+4|6477|NH
We have them in New Hampshire, but their for the nuclear power plant in case something happens
Ki][mE
OMG H4XOR!
+51|6608|I'm a Viking....Norway
we got them here in Norway.... hear the once a year when they test them.....
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6582|Chicago
We have some around here in Chicago, I believe. There was a test like 3 years ago, so I guess they're annual.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6492|Chicago, IL

RedTwizzler wrote:

We have some around here in Chicago, I believe. There was a test like 3 years ago, so I guess they're annual.
First Tuesday of the month, but they're used for tornadoes now
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6582|Chicago

S.Lythberg wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

Shows how much attention I pay to my surroundings...
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6492|Chicago, IL

RedTwizzler wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

Shows how much attention I pay to my surroundings...
we don't get many tornadoes anymore... i miss them.
Sir Aidyn Sage
DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!
+32|6409
If you live in places that are prone to Tornado's the you will have the sirens that double as Air raid sirens..

Also I think that places that might be prone to Hurricanes might have then too but the then you  would have to ask someone from Florida....
mippie
+1|6234
some parts of the UK seem to have em, in Southampton where i live they go off every once in a while, mostly in case something happens at the oil refinery
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6513
My town still has them but they are used for different things.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6239|Schofield Barracks
none in Rhode Island they usually stop all the TV channels and radio stations and say somethin
we use em incase of a hurricane
why would rhode island need an air raid siren there inst anything here to bomb
Barney_T_Dinosaur
Time to Die Kids!
+41|6705

$niperkiller wrote:

We have them in New Hampshire, but their for the nuclear power plant in case something happens
I'd call those "OMG RUN THE FUCK AWAY!" sirens.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6524|Sheffield-England
We have one in our history classroom
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6456|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
That sound always gives me the chills for some reason....What about you guys?
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6524|Sheffield-England

SplinterStrike wrote:

To be honest, same
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6729|West Yorkshire, U.K
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_siren

We have beacons, infact i live near one, they light it once a year to celebrate a certain day, pretty cool.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6675|Washington, DC

stkhoplite wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

To be honest, same
Yeah they're kinda creepy.
SealXo
+309|6581
they used to have them in southern califonia but they took the speakers off so im guessing no

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard