Poll

Do you think skill is based more on Intelligence or Reflexes?

Intelligence by Far52%52% - 241
Reflexes like Jet Lee47%47% - 221
Total: 462
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6681
Its reflexes hands down, those who can react the fasteest and stick one in the head will win.
BlackKoala
+215|6356
It's based on whoever can afford to pay MSX the most money.
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6819|Barrie Ontario
Intelligence because you need to know when and where you are going to shoot/shoot from.
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6473
I don't get where the hell people are getting intelligence as being most important. I guess this just goes to show that if people were dumb enough to vote concealment vs cover they still think this game is about stealth and surprise. I said it in that thread and I'll say it in this one, bf2 isn't a stealth oriented game so intelligence plays a role but far from a leading role in skill. Like others have been trying to say, reflexes are the number one winner in bf2 since battle tactics are so simple and linear on most infantry maps. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where most people are going to be on maps like Karkand so that element of stealth and surprise is lost on everyone but the noobs. So its not a shock that the only thing left is reflexes. People from a twitch fps background with good aim and a good experience in the bf2 engine will rape any single guy who outflanks or even surprises them but has worse reflexes. Of course it takes both, but how many of you take a minute or two to ponder your next move in bf2. Exactly not many because if you've played alot its automatic and unconscious now, you don't think you just do.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6678
Reflexes and experience. You don't need to be smart to be good at video games.
jord
+2,382|6709|The North, beyond the wall.

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Reflexes and experience. You don't need to be smart to be good at video games.
Of course you do, that's why i could never do Mictosoft Flight simulator...
Sniper-UK-Ghost
Ice Lolly Maniac
+30|6266|Bristol
intelligence easy as pie, reflexes get worse as your older and i know loads of old people who play with me and they still thrash me
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6499
55 intelligence, 45 reflex.
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6473
I think alot of people are confusing intelligence with intuition based on experience, which sort of reveals a flaw in the original question. Let me get this straight with people who are voting intelligence... intelligence is most used in a game like chess which is strategically complicated and requires considerable foresight and expectation in your opponents next move. Being skilled in bf2 doesn't have a strong emphasis in either of these characteristics. People think that knowing when to take cover or how to flank someone is intelligence when in reality these things are merely part of intuition and experience. People that have played the game enough learned from trial and error which type of situations get you killed the fastest and which ones get you kills the fastest. There's almost no real intelligence required other than adaptation. This limited form of intelligence that does exist in bf2 quickly becomes ingrained in to your reflexes as situational awareness and intuition. The more you play, the less time you spend thinking of the best way to counter an attack or outmanuever your opponent and it just becomes another part of your reflexes. Some make the mistake in thinking that reflexes only mean twitch reactions in aiming and hitting the trigger. I think reflexes can be more broadly defined to include evasive manuevering flanking, rushing, jumping etc. Personally, I don't think about taking out a grenade and throwing it to kill the swarm of guys about overrun me, I just do it because it's worked before and it will again. Thats not intelligence, its a learned reflex.
im_in_heaven
+27|6619

DivineMomentofTruth wrote:

I think alot of people are confusing intelligence with intuition based on experience, which sort of reveals a flaw in the original question. Let me get this straight with people who are voting intelligence... intelligence is most used in a game like chess which is strategically complicated and requires considerable foresight and expectation in your opponents next move. Being skilled in bf2 doesn't have a strong emphasis in either of these characteristics. People think that knowing when to take cover or how to flank someone is intelligence when in reality these things are merely part of intuition and experience. People that have played the game enough learned from trial and error which type of situations get you killed the fastest and which ones get you kills the fastest. There's almost no real intelligence required other than adaptation. This limited form of intelligence that does exist in bf2 quickly becomes ingrained in to your reflexes as situational awareness and intuition. The more you play, the less time you spend thinking of the best way to counter an attack or outmanuever your opponent and it just becomes another part of your reflexes. Some make the mistake in thinking that reflexes only mean twitch reactions in aiming and hitting the trigger. I think reflexes can be more broadly defined to include evasive manuevering flanking, rushing, jumping etc. Personally, I don't think about taking out a grenade and throwing it to kill the swarm of guys about overrun me, I just do it because it's worked before and it will again. Thats not intelligence, its a learned reflex.
I agree with everything but the reflex part. The only "reflex you need for this game or any game is hand eye coordination to a minimal. Its a computer game, you sit behind a screen and only move your hand and forearm and your finger tips. There is nothing else required.
kn0ckahh
+98|6770|netherlands, sweet lake city
you don't need top reflexes if you can outsmart someone, if you already know when youre opponent is coming and where he is you dont need quick reflexes because youre just using logic (and a little psycholigy) to guess what you enemy is going to do and wont be suprised.
Snipa Fox
+21|6429|Brisbane, Australia
You need both.

One little twitch faster is all it takes, but know thy enemy.
jgrahl
+4|6721
I voted for reflexes as I put more weight into it.

Mouse control is a large factor in hitting your target.  You could have really fast reflexes but move your mouse so that you miss your target.  Timing your movements can be even more deadly as you could sweep past the person and get the one shot in as they are wildly moving around.

It does take some intelligence to be able to out maneuver someone.  Also it is generally a bad idea to run down a corridor that has a flood of red dots moving into it on your mini-map.  If you have time, toss a grenade then flank them or get behind them.  Being aware of whether or not they can see or hear you is important.
daemonicust
+4|6274|Manukau
Intellagence is by far the most important, along with experience.

Knowing where you have to be, before you have to be there, will save you time and bullets.
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6473
If intelligence is most important then 90% of the people who play bf2 are mentally retarded in real life. Let's get real they lack reflexes not smarts... how many times have you been pwned by a squeeky voiced 12 yr old? Oh was that because he was more intelligent than you? No, someone with the intelligence of 6 yr old can probably do well in this game.

Last edited by DivineMomentofTruth (2007-05-08 17:11:21)

Alpha.350
+19|6607
I would say a good 60:40 ratio..

a good mix of both
stunt-shepherd
howay-the-lads
+8|6294
if you are both smart then he /she who has the  quickest reflexes should win (taking into account lag) otherwise i would say intelligence is the winner.
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6473
man wtf are u all so insecure about your intelligence that you feel you killed another player because you're smarter than them? So far no one has given me a rational counterargument to my sentiment.

Last edited by DivineMomentofTruth (2007-05-08 17:27:56)

mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6748|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I have to null vote on this one because I think that it depends more on the situation than anything else.  If you're in an urban environment, I think it has more to do with reflexes unless a the UAV is involved.  On the more open maps you have to think more and figure out the best vantage point for high traffic areas in order to get the drop on an unsuspecting target.
ReTox
+100|6530|State of RETOXification

If intelligence is most important then 90% of the people who play bf2 are mentally retarded in real life. Let's get real they lack reflexes not smarts... how many times have you been pwned by a squeeky voiced 12 yr old? Oh was that because he was more intelligent than you? No, someone with the intelligence of 6 yr old can probably do well in this game.
Ok then, by your logic if you have good BF2 reflexes you've likely got a "super fast draw Steve fuckin' Austin 6 million dollar man" thing going on in real life?

And to be honest I don't know how many times I've been owned by a 12 year old... it's probably a few times. That doesn't change the fact that I usually score better than them and I equate that to having superior tactics and intelligence in "how to play" this game.  Anyone can spray and pray and anyone can be a good shot, knowing how to implement that and more importantly when not to is what wins the day.
TeamOrange
Don't be that guy
+84|6342
Intel b/c in most situations it is not 1v1, even so if you get a good position on your enemy you should always win, even so if it is 1v2 or 1v3 or even 1v4 it is all Intel and about outsmarting 2-4 different people

BUT you can't have shit aim cuz you will lose every time
also if you have shit hit reg then the best reflexs won't help much
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6473

ReTox wrote:

Ok then, by your logic if you have good BF2 reflexes you've likely got a "super fast draw Steve fuckin' Austin 6 million dollar man" thing going on in real life?

And to be honest I don't know how many times I've been owned by a 12 year old... it's probably a few times. That doesn't change the fact that I usually score better than them and I equate that to having superior tactics and intelligence in "how to play" this game.  Anyone can spray and pray and anyone can be a good shot, knowing how to implement that and more importantly when not to is what wins the day.
No what I mean is if you have good bf2 reflexes you've probably got good hand eye coordination and would likely be good at other reflex based hand-eye tasks like ping pong and other computer games. Knowing how to implement reflex skill is called experience based intuition like I've said before, not intelligence. How intelligent you are will make nearly no difference on how well you will do if you just picked up bf2 as your first pc shooter ever. The only form of intelligence required really is adaptation from experience, if something doesn't work and you don't change what you do, nor will your skill. I honestly think this whole voting for intelligence business is just a mass delusional defense mechanism that everyone uses to justify all their time spent on this game. If you make it sound like a battle of wits, then spending so much time playing is enriching. But really its not and pretty much the only place your skills can be transferred is another pc game.

Last edited by DivineMomentofTruth (2007-05-08 17:59:25)

link52787
+29|6553
both, you need good tactics and fast reflexes.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6359

Argue my little minions Argue!!
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6473
I wish... people are just coming up with 2 word responses and no one adresses my points.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard