Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6787|Dallas
If you haven't seen the Afterworld series on youtube you can check out the series here.  basically the premise of the series is a guy wakes up one day to find that 99% of the worlds population is missing and that all the worlds technology no longer works. 

If you found yourself in a situation like this, how would you react to ensure your survival?  Go into detail as to how you would use the terrain (city, urban, suburban, rural) to your advantage and also how your location could be a disadvantage.  How would you overcome the disadvantages?  What are some clever and/or innovative ways you could use the now endless supply of material around you to carve out a niche to survive?  There are no zombies/aliens/mutants to fight off, only loneliness and the other 1% of mankind that are spread out across the world.

Me personally:

If I was the last person alive, I would first locate a reliable and replenishable food source. This food source could be anything from a cache of non-perishable items such as a warehouse or it could be a large garden full of vegetables.  Something that could sustain me long enough to accomplish what I needed to accomplish before finding something more permanent.

Second, I would locate a secure location near the food source and work to fortify the location. I would try to find some barbed wire or maybe even something as simple as boarding up doors and windows and minimizing the number of entry points.  I'd make sure I had an escape plan in case of emergency.

Then I would try to locate firearms, commodities, batteries and battery operated equipment to set up a command center and/or survival equipment stash. A local gun store would more than likely have all the necessary equipment and weapons needed to defend myself or any other friendlies I came across.

After I had made sure that I had food, shelter, clothing and proper equipment and had those things in my bunker I would start making armed patrols to look for friendly survivors. I would expand my search a little further each day until I could make an assessment as to whether or not there was anyone left and if they were friendly or not.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6762
Well heres a few things.

1. Make sure I am not located near any Nuclear reactors
2. Same with Dams/major rivers.
3. Get out of any major industrial area (who knows what hazards chemicals that could be stored).
4. Get out of City (going to be over run with pests).
5. Head south get into a more temperate climate (come winter you don't want to end up freezing to death).
6. Rural area would be best the best place to stay, might not come across as many people, but the structure for growing food is already in place.
7. Get hold of as many communication devices as possible. (CB, radios, mobile phones etc)
8. Some sort of weapon/firearm will be needed, not really for other survivors but animals like packs of dogs, it wont take long till they go feral.
9. Get hold of a push bike for travelling (car need petrol, once the power gone, it will be hard to come by one the pumps stop working), also a good way to keep fit.
10. Reading material is a must, survival books, machinery repair books, health manuals, first aid, even just your average paper backs, you will need something to past the time.

If I think of more I will add them.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6680|California
That would be awesome...

Then I could finally relax...

2 things...

Hammock and a fishing pole...

Utopia, paradise.... golden.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6516|N. Ireland
That's still 62 million people living on the world, so I'd seek some companionship.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6690

leetkyle wrote:

That's still 62 million people living on the world, so I'd seek some companionship.
Yeah, 1% is still plenty of people.  In Los Angeles or New York, being alone won't be an issue from the get go.  As for survival, just hang out at the local Super Walmart for awhile.

Last edited by Ilocano (2007-05-02 11:23:20)

Jackabo
+127|6581|Dublin, Ireland
I'd rob everything i could and just do what i wanted.
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6681|South West England
Watch out for bandit groups as they begin to form, as they will trade in firearms, children and women most likely, and to meet that end, a search for weapons would be on my list of to dos aside from finding a place to live in the brave new world

Last edited by XanKrieger (2007-05-02 11:27:50)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6475|Cambridge, UK

paranoid101 wrote:

10. Reading material is a must, survival books, machinery repair books, health manuals, first aid, even just your average paper backs, you will need something to past the time..
Your gona nick all the pron from the local corner shop aint you
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6787|Dallas

Ilocano wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Yeah, 1% is still plenty of people.  In Los Angeles or New York, being alone won't be an issue from the get go.  As for survival, just hang out at the local Super Walmart for awhile.
62 Million people worldwide is NOT alot of people.  According to wiki, that would be the population of the world in 700 B.C. spread evenly across the world.  Not a whole lot if you ask me.
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6609|Sweden
I would do my absolute best to find all women left and reproduce like a rabbit to save mankind.
XanKrieger
iLurk

Cougar wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

62 Million people worldwide is NOT alot of people.  According to wiki, that would be the population of the world in 700 B.C. spread evenly across the world.  Not a whole lot if you ask me.
Tbh Cougar has a point, unless you do as stated above live in a high density area, odds of immediately running into someone arent exactly fantastic, and then theres the remote regions of the world, they might never see anyone again
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6465|Stealth City, UK
What I want to know is.....

Why in the first episode he looks at his watch and figures out he's late when all technology has been wiped out?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6690

Cougar wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

But still plenty.  More than enough to keep the genepool healthy.  US population left, about 3 million.  That's gives us about 1 person per square mile.  Given that Los Angeles and New York has a far larger concentration of people, and for the fact that there is a vast amount of open land in the US, at 1% population, people will be banding in groups from day one.

In Japan, it would be about 8 people per square mile...

Last edited by Ilocano (2007-05-02 11:39:12)

XanKrieger
iLurk

Ilocano wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

But still plenty.  More than enough to keep the genepool healthy.  US population left, about 3 million.  That's gives us about 1 person per square mile.  Given that Los Angeles and New York has a far larger concentration of people, and for the fact that there is a vast amount of open land in the US, at 1% population, people will be banding in groups from day one.
Yes however, refer to my point about Bandit Groups above, the world without technology and a fractured if surviving leadership will go into a mild to servere state of anarchy
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6690

XanKrieger wrote:

Yes however, refer to my point about Bandit Groups above, the world without technology and a fractured if surviving leadership will go into a mild to servere state of anarchy
No argument here.  And as such, stock up on bottled water and firearms first.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6483|UK
Look for someone to shag.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6787|Dallas

buLLet_t00th wrote:

What I want to know is.....

Why in the first episode he looks at his watch and figures out he's late when all technology has been wiped out?
Later on it explains that simple things that run on battery power (flashlight, watch, etc) still operate.
XanKrieger
iLurk

Ilocano wrote:

XanKrieger wrote:

No argument here.  And as such, stock up on bottled water and firearms first.
Well self defence is definately a must needless to say
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6646|Camp XRay

I would find cougar and make him do everything
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6787|Dallas

Marlboroman82 wrote:

I would find cougar and make him do everything
I'd wait for MarlboroMan and have nasty man love.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6245|Escea

Find a mall and stock up on food, bottled water (some beer for later), necessary equipment (camping stuff), then find a gunstore, grab as many batteries as possible and head for the mountain regions, live in a forest near a lake, good food supply, wood for fuel. Oh and a Hammock and fishing pole is a must as stated earlier. Let the good times roll.
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6678|Lancaster Ohio, USA
Arm myself first, that's not going to be too difficult. Stock up on ammunition, then food, batteries, perhaps a tent and sleeping bag, grab a fishing pole. Go find some of those water purification things, and set up shop. Probably going to need an axe for cutting wood for a fire. Basically anything to go camping, only with plenty of firepower. Probably wouldn't hurt to find a horse.
XanKrieger
iLurk

bob_6012 wrote:

Arm myself first, that's not going to be too difficult.
Aint that just the truth, beautiful rifle btw
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6678|Lancaster Ohio, USA

XanKrieger wrote:

bob_6012 wrote:

Arm myself first, that's not going to be too difficult.
Aint that just the truth, beautiful rifle btw
Thanks. The trusty M-14, great for hunting or taking out threatening humans in an end of world scenario.

Last edited by bob_6012 (2007-05-02 12:20:40)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6789|UK
Fallout....

I would get a gun for a start, try to find other people who want to form a town,community. Create a fortress village. So thats walls from wood or natural landscape, shelter, room to grow food, supplies, etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard